My boots are starting to STINK!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

malinowski:
I use diluted mouthwash in the soak. As for drying, I cut the top and bottom off of those 1/2 liter water bottles that you can find anywhere and put that "tube" into the bootie to keep it open. Cheap and easy to replace when I lose it.

Chris

I like the idea of the open bottles of water!!!
That is a good one.

I try to soak all my gear, some in the tub some in several sinks, sometimes i use dish-soap, in the winter is easy i just place a towel in the floor close to the heath and place my wet gear on top, it will dry really fast, i have electric heath and it has a fan so it works as a hair dryer, is pretty good and fast.

Summer time i wash the gear on the dock and i just hang it under the sun for a couple hours, i know the sun is not very good for the gear, but i use it for short time before i hang my gear in the house till dry.

baking soda mixed with warm water pored into the boots works great,also cheap,dry with wadded up newpaper,it wicks all the water out in a couple hours.

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear but I wash my stuff with wetsuit shampoo...BUT...when they start to stink I just trow 'em away and go get another pair. their only like $30.00 - $50.00

Jeremy

I usually just rinse them out well, turn down the tops
and set them toe up in my tub for a day.
Then put them toe up in my Scuba/Guitar room where they finish drying in 2-3 days (with A/C on of course)

It also helps to shed them promptly
when you finish your dive/dives.

If urine is a cause then just
roll back the bottoms of your wetsuit.
Put on boots,and roll wetsuit over them.

That way whatever liquid is trapped between you and
your wetsuit goes straight out the bottom of your suit,
and doesn't balloon out your boots.

Years ago when I worked in the dive shop and had to wash all the rental wetsuits I did a pre-rinse, then soaked them in a tub of water with regular dishwashing detergent, and then rinsed off the suits in a third tub. Afterwords I would hang them in the sun to dry before bringing them into the shop for the night.

On the other hand my dad had his own home remedy of soaking the wetsuits in water with vinegar and baking soda. After rinsing off in fresh water he would hang them in the garage to dry. It seemed to work.

However, this was in Monterey CA which is not as hot and humid as GA.

Now I live in LA. Drying wetsuits out is not much of a problem but when I put my boots and gloves away and they are still damp I put them in my homemade drying rack consisting of stacked milk crates.

A dive buddy of mine got me started washing the wet suit, booties and gloves in the washing machine. At first I thought it would hurt everything but it really gives a good wash.

Dry them inside after a thorough cleaning with a fan blowing over them on low. You just need to keep the air moving slightly to blow away the moisture on the surface of your boots. They'll usually dry within a few hours for me this way.

Kids 'N Pets stain/odor remover -- available online or in regular grocery stores, near where they have carpet stain remover. About $6 for a 32 ounce bottle. A lot cheaper than scuba-specific products. Soak boots, suits, gloves in a bucket with a couple of ounces of it, for a few hours.
I air dry in my basement, which has a dehumidifier.

You can also try the special dryers that are used for ski boots. I use them and they make my boots dry very quickly.

Mania

Back
Top Bottom