My DC died at 108 ft. Now what do I replace it with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope that you did not accept it as it was. They owe you what you gave them as far as QD & compass as a minimum!
I took it home, but I am leaving it sealed in the bag that it was shipped in. The LDS is not impressed when I pointed it out, and they are going to contact the service/repair center and make it right.

(Just to be clear, the LDS was "not impressed" with the repair ctr, they are OK with me.)

I took it home, but I am leaving it sealed in the bag that it was shipped in. The LDS is not impressed when I pointed it out, and they are going to contact the service/repair center and make it right.

(Just to be clear, the LDS was "not impressed" with the repair ctr, they are OK with me.)

Good and good luck! Hopefully justice will prevail

I went back to the LDS today to drop the PP3 off with them. I came to the realization that me having it wouldn't do any good until it is back to the way it was. The LDS called the repair ctr while I was there & basically unloaded on them. A compass and a quick disconnect are on the way. (I hope it is an easy task to switch over to the QD and that the LDS is able to do it "in house".)

The PP3 has been out of my possession for almost exactly 3 months at this point. It is time to sort this out.

I have dived with redundant computers ever since my second computer's battery died while I was at extreme depth (despite the remaining battery life being displayed at about 38%). Not familiar with the ProPlus3 but if it is air integrated, that may pose a slight problem. Personally I don't trust air integrated systems.

I have dived with redundant computers ever since my second computer's battery died while I was at extreme depth (despite the remaining battery life being displayed at about 38%). Not familiar with the ProPlus3 but if it is air integrated, that may pose a slight problem. Personally I don't trust air integrated systems.
It is an Air Integrated Computer. It has a direct connection (via a hose) to the HP port on my first stage, not a transmitter. The QD connection is between the computer & the hose.

oceanic-pro-plus-3-brand.jpg

PP35Large.jpg

As things stand right now, I will have my PP3 (assuming that it gets straightened out) as my primary and will have a Geo2 (which is a non air integrated DC) and an SPG as a back-up.

I went back to the LDS today to drop the PP3 off with them. I came to the realization that me having it wouldn't do any good until it is back to the way it was. The LDS called the repair ctr while I was there & basically unloaded on them. A compass and a quick disconnect are on the way. (I hope it is an easy task to switch over to the QD and that the LDS is able to do it "in house".)

The PP3 has been out of my possession for almost exactly 3 months at this point. It is time to sort this out.

Sorry you are having complications.

I dive with the PP3 and a GEO2. They track each other exactly on depth and NDL. I really like both of them. The only thing I worry about is relying on an electronic pressure gauge. I've been thinking of getting an SPG as backup. With this combination I think I can be as nerdy as carrying a Perdix in Rec mode, but save some money.

I think you'll like the Geo2. Low profile so you can wear it full time and a very capable DC.

Last edited:
Final update! (I hope.)

I got an email from the LDS saying that my compass & QD attachment were not only in, but were installed on my PP3. (YAY!) I went in today to (finally) pick it up and I took in my reg set with me as suggested by the LDS so that we could hook it up and make sure everything worked the way that they were supposed to.

Spoiler Alert ... They didn't.

There was air leaking from where the QD nipple was attached to the PP3. A little research and an o-ring later, and everything was now working. Just for giggles, we attached my SPG and compared its reading to the PP3's and they were pretty close. (The computer read 1565 and the SPG read 1600. If I ever get to the point where those 35 psi are needed, then I have bigger problems that what the gauge reads.) We checked the SPG for leaks and there were none.

So, for now, it would appear that I have back an Air Integrated dive computer (my PP3) and a viable "Plan B" (my Geo 2 and an SPG). I have both computers set to DSAT with conservative factor turned on.

Final update! (I hope.)

I got an email from the LDS saying that my compass & QD attachment were not only in, but were installed on my PP3. (YAY!) I went in today to (finally) pick it up and I took in my reg set with me as suggested by the LDS so that we could hook it up and make sure everything worked the way that they were supposed to.

Spoiler Alert ... They didn't.

There was air leaking from where the QD nipple was attached to the PP3. A little research and an o-ring later, and everything was now working. Just for giggles, we attached my SPG and compared its reading to the PP3's and they were pretty close. (The computer read 1565 and the SPG read 1600. If I ever get to the point where those 35 psi are needed, then I have bigger problems that what the gauge reads.) We checked the SPG for leaks and there were none.

So, for now, it would appear that I have back an Air Integrated dive computer (my PP3) and a viable "Plan B" (my Geo 2 and an SPG). I have both computers set to DSAT with conservative factor turned on.
Of course, your choice, from most liberal to most conservatie: DSAT, PZ+, DSAT with CF, PZ+ with CF.

Of course, your choice, from most liberal to most conservatie: DSAT, PZ+, DSAT with CF, PZ+ with CF.

Thank you. I can always go back to just "plain old DSAT", but here was my logic ... I don't dive often, but when I do, it is typically on a LOB where I am doing multiple dives per day for multiple days in a row. From everything that I have read, that lends itself toward DSAT rather than PX+. Would the order that you list still hold true after 4 or 5 days of 4 dives a day? A quick peak at the back of the manual shows it to be true for a single dive, but what about the type of diving on a LOB (20+ dives in a single week)?

I am not as young as I once was, so diving DSAT may carry some additional risks, but I thought that the PZ+ algorithm was not ideal by the 3rd or 4th day if doing repetitive dives.

Thank you. I can always go back to just "plain old DSAT", but here was my logic ... I don't dive often, but when I do, it is typically on a LOB where I am doing multiple dives per day for multiple days in a row. From everything that I have read, that lends itself toward DSAT rather than PX+. Would the order that you list still hold true after 4 or 5 days of 4 dives a day? A quick peak at the back of the manual shows it to be true for a single dive, but what about the type of diving on a LOB (20+ dives in a single week)?

I am not as young as I once was, so diving DSAT may carry some additional risks, but I thought that the PZ+ algorithm was not ideal by the 3rd or 4th day if doing repetitive dives.
Do you do the night dive on the LOB? lots of people bring up the multiple day vacation week scenario but then forget that many vacation divers get a very long SI every day. My PADI nitrox tables put me back into group A after 6 hours. The first computer I owned cleared me after 12 hours.

it would be instructive to note your computers allowed NDLs before the first dive of each day as the week progresses. I generally have at least an 11 hour SI after the night dive. my current computer does not reduce my NDLs by any noticeable amount as the week progresses. Maybe it should?

Back
Top Bottom