My DC died at 108 ft. Now what do I replace it with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I now have the basics and I can dive again (if the opportunity presents itself). I picked up an Oceanic Geo2 on a Black Friday sale at my LDS and today a 2" Deep6 Gear SPG arrived in the mail.

Still waiting to hear about what happened and what it will cost to repair my ProPlus3 (or if repair is even cost effective), so I don't know if my "primary computer" will be my repaired PP3 or a new Perdix AI.

One concern that I do have about the Geo2 is that is one side of the strap breaks (if the pins come out on one side) it is gone. Has anybody ever tried to thread a NATO strap through a Geo2? I tried, but I couldn't get it to fit. (maybe the simplest answer is the best, the pins are threaded, so maybe just a tiny drop of blue LocTite on the threads and stop over thinking it.)

I now have the basics and I can dive again (if the opportunity presents itself). I picked up an Oceanic Geo2 on a Black Friday sale at my LDS and today a 2" Deep6 Gear SPG arrived in the mail.

Still waiting to hear about what happened and what it will cost to repair my ProPlus3 (or if repair is even cost effective), so I don't know if my "primary computer" will be my repaired PP3 or a new Perdix AI.

One concern that I do have about the Geo2 is that is one side of the strap breaks (if the pins come out on one side) it is gone. Has anybody ever tried to thread a NATO strap through a Geo2? I tried, but I couldn't get it to fit. (maybe the simplest answer is the best, the pins are threaded, so maybe just a tiny drop of blue LocTite on the threads and stop over thinking it.)
Hi @Hoag

Even if your computer is out of warranty and your LDS, who did the battery replacement, takes no responsibility, Oceanic/Huish will replace your PP3 for $175 Support » Service. This is a real bargain for a new or refurbished PP3. If it is not of use to you or your family, sure you could sell if for more than that.

@stuartv has used a NATO strap on his Atom 3 and can give you advice

@stuartv has used a NATO strap on his Atom 3 and can give you advice
Thanks. I just went with "Plan B". The pins are threaded, so I just put a small drop of blue LocTite on the threads and left the original strap in place.

What happened with Plan A to get a Perdix? You promised!

What happened with Plan A to get a Perdix? You promised!
Plan A was to either get my PP3 fixed or get a Perdix AI. It is still Plan A, but in the short term, Plan B gives me something I can use right now and also a as back-up once Plan A gets implemented.

As much as I am trying to find a reason to get the Perdix AI, the cold hard fact is that for the roughly $1500 Cdn that a Perdix AI with transmitter costs, there are several LOBs that I could spend a week on. It will ultimately come down to whether or not my PP3 is beyond economical repair costs (see post 52 above)

Last edited:
Plan A was to either get my PP3 fixed or get a Perdix AI. It is still Plan A, but in the short term, Plan B gives me something I can use right now and also a as back-up once Plan A gets implemented.

As much as I am trying to find a reason to get the Perdix AI, the cold hard fact is that for the roughly $1500 Cdn that a Perdix AI with transmitter costs, there are several LOBs that I could spend a week on. It will ultimately come down to whether or not my PP3 is beyond economical repair costs (see post 52 above)
I know, I was just giving you #$%! and trying to get you to come to the dark side of becoming a Shearwater user. Trip wise-you really can't go wrong with Turks! I try and go there once a year.

I know, I was just giving you #$%! and trying to get you to come to the dark side of becoming a Shearwater user. Trip wise-you really can't go wrong with Turks! I try and go there once a year.
I know you are just yanking my chain. As for the TCI, I have been there 3 times and I agree it is a great location. The 1st time, it was a shore based from Provo. The 2nd time was on the Turks and Caicos Explorer2 LOB. The most recent time was shore based on Grand Turk at a resort called Bohio.

I know you are just yanking my chain. As for the TCI, I have been there 3 times and I agree it is a great location. The 1st time, it was a shore based from Provo. The 2nd time was on the Turks and Caicos Explorer2 LOB. The most recent time was shore based on Grand Turk at a resort called Bohio.
I would prefer it to be a friendly-Shearwater troll. I'll bug you again in the next year. I've been on the TCEX2 3x and it draws me in every time! But if you can find a $1500 livaboard stop hiding that info from us! The only mid-range for that approx price is the Juliet out of Miami, which I went on last year. Excellent trip but it's only a Sat-Fri venture, and only 19 dives.

I would prefer it to be a friendly-Shearwater troll. I'll bug you again in the next year. I've been on the TCEX2 3x and it draws me in every time! But if you can find a $1500 livaboard stop hiding that info from us! The only mid-range for that approx price is the Juliet out of Miami, which I went on last year. Excellent trip but it's only a Sat-Fri venture, and only 19 dives.
Blackbeard's are still around $1k I think and there are a lot in the Red Sea that have lowered their prices to $1000-$1500 (or lower). (Personally, I doubt I would do a $1500 LOB, but a Shearwater is about the same as half of the cost of a week on a "typical LOB".)

WRT the TCEX2, it really is hard to beat the dive briefings by Pippa and Bunjee Jo.

Back
Top Bottom