My DC died at 108 ft. Now what do I replace it with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackbeard's are still around $1k I think and there are a lot in the Red Sea that have lowered their prices to $1000-$1500 (or lower). (Personally, I doubt I would do a $1500 LOB, but a Shearwater is about the same as half of the cost of a week on a "typical LOB".)

WRT the TCEX2, it really is hard to beat the dive briefings by Pippa and Bunjee Jo.
I did 2 tours of duty on BB-a great deal but no Nitrox, crazy tight quarters, and only 19 dives is not for me anymore. Sadly, Pippa is no longer on the boat anymore, bunjee still there-still awesome and one of the main reasons why I and other divers keep going back there. She's a real draw for choosing this boat over the Aggressor I think.

Well, I just heard back from my LDS a few minutes ago. It looks as though @scubadada nailed it. The estimate came in at $175. (The dive shop thinks it is $175CDN, but I think it'll be $175US.)

Sorry @scbaNE2179 it looks as though I might have to wait for another opportunity to pick up my Perdix AI. At $175, getting my PP3 repaired is the logical choice.

It looks as though I will be back to the PP3 as my main DC and a Geo 2 & an SPG as a back-up. (The good new news with this set up is that since both the PP3 and the Geo2 are Oceanic they will have the same algorithms and if I need to go to a back up, then it should be easy and seamless.)

Last edited:
I now have the basics and I can dive again (if the opportunity presents itself). I picked up an Oceanic Geo2 on a Black Friday sale at my LDS and today a 2" Deep6 Gear SPG arrived in the mail.

Still waiting to hear about what happened and what it will cost to repair my ProPlus3 (or if repair is even cost effective), so I don't know if my "primary computer" will be my repaired PP3 or a new Perdix AI.

One concern that I do have about the Geo2 is that is one side of the strap breaks (if the pins come out on one side) it is gone. Has anybody ever tried to thread a NATO strap through a Geo2? I tried, but I couldn't get it to fit. (maybe the simplest answer is the best, the pins are threaded, so maybe just a tiny drop of blue LocTite on the threads and stop over thinking it.)

Curious how much you managed to get the Geo 2 for on black friday?

Let's say I wanted to get a used air integrated oceanic to save some money.

Is the Atom 3.1 or the OCi? Looks like the OCi came out in around 2014 and and 3.1 in 2012?

Curious how much you managed to get the Geo 2 for on black friday?
I got it for $450Cdn (about $350US at the time). While this might not sound like a great deal, it is still a lot cheaper than ordering one from the US and paying shipping, duty & taxes on it. (Yes, the Canadian gov't charges sales tax even on things bought online from the US.)

Is the Atom 3.1 or the OCi? Looks like the OCi came out in around 2014 and and 3.1 in 2012?
Sorry, I can't help. I have no idea.

The Atom 3.0 and 3.1 are air integrated, if that's what you are asking. I think the OCi is, also. I have had my Atom 3.0 for 3 years now and it is still going strong. The AI transmitter is still on its original battery! The computer itself is on its 3rd battery, I think.

... and the adventure / saga / games continue.

I went in to the LDS today to pick up my ProPlus3 that died in the Bahamas in late October. It actually came in at under the estimate. It was $170CDN total. I thought "Great" until they handed it to me. It appears that the repair shop didn't fix my computer, they simply replaced it. While this might seem like a quick, easy and perfectly acceptable procedure, in this case, there were issues. When I brought my computer in, it had a compass on it and a Quick Disconnect (QD) connection. The one that I got back did not have the compass (or even the bar across the top where the compass would normally go). It simply had the mounting points. It also did not have the QD mount, so I would have to take a High Pressure hose and thread the PP3 on to the hose. True, this would work, but it is not what I paid for when I originally purchased the PP3.

I hope that you did not accept it as it was. They owe you what you gave them as far as QD & compass as a minimum!

... and the adventure / saga / games continue.

I went in to the LDS today to pick up my ProPlus3 that died in the Bahamas in late October. It actually came in at under the estimate. It was $170CDN total. I thought "Great" until they handed it to me. It appears that the repair shop didn't fix my computer, they simply replaced it. While this might seem like a quick, easy and perfectly acceptable procedure, in this case, there were issues. When I brought my computer in, it had a compass on it and a Quick Disconnect (QD) connection. The one that I got back did not have the compass (or even the bar across the top where the compass would normally go). It simply had the mounting points. It also did not have the QD mount, so I would have to take a High Pressure hose and thread the PP3 on to the hose. True, this would work, but it is not what I paid for when I originally purchased the PP3.
I sent both of my PP2s in with compasses and quick disconnects, the new units came back with both installed Thank you Oceanic/Huish, again

Back
Top Bottom