Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Atomic

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Other, including Apeks

Votes: 33 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my Kirby Morgan SuperFlow. It is a commericial regulator adapted for recreational use. The first stage was designed as a saturation bailout regulator and will deliver "high gas flow with minimal pressure drop in excess of 850-feet salt water". I love what they say about the 2nd stage "It has been dive tested to over 1600 feet. We do not recommend sport diving below 130 feet." The regulator breathes great.

The people at Kirby Morgan are super nice. They will bend over backwards to help you.

See: http://www.kmdsi.com/scuba.html

See SuperFlow user guide: http://www.kirbymorgan.com/manual_PDF/Scuba.pdf

This was Dacor's top of the line regulator in the early 70's. Dacor said "If your regulator doesn't say Olympic, then it is obsolete".

The massive Olympic 800 1st stage (see attached photo) has a balanced diaphragm with two filter screens. The innovative 2nd stage features an automatic 3-second free flow control**, twin exhaust valves, and a special "high advantage" lever assembly. This chrome-plated brass beauty is rugged rugged rugged, and nice breathing as well.

**(see: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37302)

Now THIS is a regulator. All hail the mechanical wonder that is the circa 1977 Scubapro MK VII. Also known as "the brick" and "the honker". The balanced piston first stage by itself weighs a full three and a half pounds. This regulator produces a very noticable "honking" sound at each breath when the tank pressure drops to about 300 pounds. This will remind you to go up if you have forgotten to look at your pressure gauge. My MK VII is coupled with a Pilot 2nd stage ("upgraded" with D-400 internal parts, alas) and a balanced adjustable octopus (love that chrome). The "shark beater" gauge console is heavy enough to double as a defensive weapon. This set breathes great and is extremely dependable. It is easy to have serviced as parts are readily available. Just don't drop it on your toe.

I'm old school: SP Mk20 with G250 on short hose.
SP Mk20 G250HP on long hose. Great breathers at all depths, easy to field strip or service and very reliable.

MK 10 Balanced Adjustable.

The Mk 10 is simple, realiable and delivers all the air you 'll ever need. The silicone filled SPEC kit also allows it to be used in extreme cold with no concern for freeze up. It is smaller and ligter than the SP MK 15, 20 or 25 and is cheaper and easier to service.

The Balanced Adjustable is the immediate ancestor to the G250 and shares the same internal design and parts. Breathing performance is equal to the G250. The only significant differences are the lack of a VIVA assist switch and a brass case rather than a graphite/phenolic resin case. The fixed VIVA assit on the Balanced Ajustable is just right to provide minimal breathing resistance without a positive pressure/over pressure phase to the breathing cycle.

You can also drop a tank on the second stage, pound out the bigger dents and go diving. It is super tough and the chrome finish does not look like crap after a year or so of use like a graphite or resin cased reg.

It is also better suited to extremely cold water diving as the metal case offers superior heat transfer.

In my opinion, the Mk 10 Balanced Adjustable is where regulator technology reached it's current perfromance plateau. Since then, the only real "improvements" have been in reduced manufacturing costs, (at the cost of durability) smaller sized second stages (at times at the cost of perfromance) and styling.

I voted for US Divers (Aqua Lung), since this is my current favorite. I am, however, surprised that Sherwood is not among the choices. It is certainly more popular than many of the brands listed.

Kirby Morgan Superflow!

My real favorite is the regulator that is in my mouth giving me air when I inhale and stopping when I stop.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom