Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Atomic

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Other, including Apeks

Votes: 33 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Poseidon metal body Cyklon seconds on Oceanic diaphragm firsts.

The cyklons are cheap and easy to rebuild/adjust, work in any position (left or right feed, and upside-down), work deep, and keep the bubbles out of my face.

The Oceanic firsts are cheap and easy to rebuild/adjust, deliver large amounts of air, and are great for streamlining hoses as they can be set up with all the hoses off one side (like poseidon, or apeks) facing down behind the back.

why not just stay with the poseidon first stages?
The cost for a rebuild kit was ridiculous, and parts are almost impossible to get. Poseidon first stage only rebuild parts(only the poseidon "required" parts) and labor - $65-$90. Oceanic first rebuild-$30 (for all parts including the diaphragm).
Plus the poseidon first stages are notorious for being very hard to get adjusted "right". it requires alot of experience and time spent adjusting and fiddling to get them to flow right. Not a DIY kind of first stage.
The oceanic diaphragms (older style) are a copy of the poseidon diaphragms with a little more simplistic set up. the parts are easy to come by and it can be rebuilt and adjusted with minimal experience. The oceanics deliver huge amounts of air and are great even in deep and cold, plus the diaphragm design keeps any crud out.

No Free flows, no lock ups, no problems. Been to 160' and the cyklons breathe better the deeper you go.:)

I purchased a used but almost new Conshelf SE2 1st, 2nd, and Octo from my neighbor for next to nothing when I first signed for my OW class and was expecting to eventually upgrade to something "newer" or "better"since they were 7 or 8 years old. He had only used them 4 or 5 times before he decided to stop diving. I took them to my LDS for a check up (same LDS that originally sold them to my neighbor) and he couldn't believe their condition, they showed no signs of use and did not need any repairs. After 20+ dives with them I think I can keep these for quite some time before any upgrade is necessary. Although these are the only regulators I have had a chance to use and have only taken them to a depth of 55 feet max so far, I find them very comfortable to breathe and have been quite pleased with them.

freedive once bubbled...
I was expecting to eventually upgrade to something "newer" or "better".

The Conshelf SE2 was ranked as a top performing regulator by the US Navy around 1990 and was approved by the Navy for use to 200 feet (I believe). US Divers improved the SE2's performance over a standard Conshelf by drilling out the internal air passages on the first stage and by using a bigger diameter air hose to the second stage. The Conshelf series regulators have compact, rugged, balanced diaphragm first stages and simple smooth breathing second stages.

This is what I referenced when I said that the SE2 is a top rated regulator. See the attached photo. Regulators which met or exceeded the US Navy's 1986 upgraded work of breathing requirements up to 198-feet salt water, at a moderately heavy work load and a 1000 psi tank pressure.

The winners: Poseidon Cyklon 5000, Odin and Thor. The Scubapro MK X/G-250. The US Divers Conshelf SE2 and the Pro Diver.

The Poseidon Thor received the highest rating. The Thor (and Cyklon 300) use a "reverse balanced" first stage where the intermediate pressure goes up as the tank pressure drops. It assures that the regulator will give the very last bit of air. It will also run out of air suddenly and completely if you are not paying attention to your pressure gauge.

my first reg and the Cyklon provided me with hundreds of dives with zero problems...

The Poseidon is now sold and gone forever...I use Apeks now, they're great regs, but I don't have the sentimental attachment to them that I did with the hockey puck.

Should've kept it for my scuba museum, but the guy offered me too much money for it...

AL Titan LX and Legend LX

Both are great regs. Don't find a real difference between the two regs so Legend was kinda a waste of money.

Legend LX

1. Aqualung/U.S. Divers reputation
2. Ease of maintenance
3. Availability of parts all over the world
4. Ease of breathing
5. One of only a few regulators to be tested to 700+ feet with no ill effects. Should me my requirements handily.

Apeks ATX50/DS4,
why??

1 I have it :)
2 reliable
3 breazes really well
4 etc.

khel

I have 6 SP regulators ranging from 190 up to S600. My favorite was the G250 but not the newer ones. Right now its the S600.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom