Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Atomic

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Other, including Apeks

Votes: 33 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a Healthways Scubair 300 (see attached photo). I don't know the date of this regulator. I am guessing early 1970's. It breathes great, delivers lots of air, and has some very nice features. The long barrel coming off the first stage is a low air sonic alarm. When the tank pressure drops to about 300 psi, the regulator makes a tremendous racket. "BRRRRAAAAPPPPP!!!!!!" It sounds like a machine gun going off at each breath. Cool! With this regulator it is darned near impossible to accidentally run out of air.

The front cover of the 2nd stage is held in place with an internal plastic clamp ring. It fits under a lip on the edge of the case. Just slip a small flat screwdriver tip under the end of the ring and it will snap right out. Its a nice system. The 2nd stage has a conventional down stream design. The interior is round like a bowl, with no flat surfaces. This minimizes turbulence and smoothes out the air delivery. The air nozzle has a big diameter opening and a venturi jet to reduce surging. It's a nice layout. It only has one adjustment and that changes the height of the tilt lever. It is extremely easy to service.

This is interesting. Scubapro also sold a version of my Healthways Scubair 300. Scubapro started out as division of Healthways. Dick Bonin left Healthways and together with and Gustav Dalla Valle (an importer of Italian dive gear), bought the rights to the Scubapro name for a small sum and founded Scubapro 1963 after Healthways decided not to pursue the high-end professional scuba market. Initially Scubapro bought much of their gear from Italian and US suppliers and they sold regulators made by Healthways for several years. Healthways continued to sell scuba gear up through the 1970's. They changed their name to Scubamaster in 78-79, before disappearing.

The Pilot and D-series SPs are one of the most underappreciated designs around - their unique coaxial flow valve really delivers.

Alas but it is no more. While the X650 looks like the D, and takes its place in the line, it uses basically the same barrel poppet valve all the other upper line SP 2nds use.

ew1usnr once bubbled...
I like this group of regulators because:
1. They breathe great.
2. The "Dive/Pre-Dive" switch is nice.
3. The diaphragm is behind, rather than in front of the regulator. That prevents a free-flow if you are facing a strong water flow in a spring.
4. The hose can be attached on the left or right.SNIP

Pictured is a 1977 Sportsways-Waterlung W-600 Hydronaut. The downstream 2nd stage features an adjustable orifice that allows it to be tuned without removing the diaphragm cover. The balanced, flow through piston 1st stage has a heavy yoke, and a low profile tank mount. It has 3 LP ports (30-cfm flow), 1 HP port, and a special low-flow 5-cfm port devoted to the inflator hose. This valuable feature might allow you time to disconnect a sticking auto-inflator before you rocket to the surface.

The W-600 has simple design with minimal parts and is extremely easy to service. Instead of requiring special spanner wrenches or strap wrenches, the top end of 1st stage has flat sides to fit an ordinary crescent wrench. The HP nozzle has a broad, wide screw head that just happened to perfectly fit the handle of the pictured tablespoon.

An advertisement for this regulator read: “Sometimes it Pays to be a Sucker! Especially when you are using the new Sportsways-Waterlung W-600. You’ll never suck in a more effortless supply of air. Try it and you’ll discover this outstanding regulator requires only minimal effort for complete and comfortable underwater breathing. You know how important that is to a diver. Special Offer - $119.95! (Limited time offer good through February, 1977)”.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom