Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Atomic

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Other, including Apeks

Votes: 33 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey thanks for the info on the SE2's.
So far I have really liked them and see no reason to change them. They breathe easily and yes the quality is very good.
Now I'm off to put them to good use today :D

I'm curious? Apeks, seems to be one of the most popular on the board, why did you lump it with "other."

I dive the ATX 100 and am quite happy with it. Down to 100ft it breathes like it's at the surface. What more can you ask?

I'd have to say my favorite is my 1963 Healthways 'Scuba' model single stage double hose reg. She's easy to service, is always within reach and looks cool as heck.

My new favorite,

Apeks ATX200....

Why.
#1 Didn't Freeflow at 39 degrees and 100 feet....
#2 Repair Manuals Readily Available when i decide I'm ready.
#3 Affordable via DiveInn
My old fav - ScubaPro MK25AF/S600.

This is the baby!

Looks new! Found it on eBay!

Legend has it that the Swimaster MR-12 was the first single hose regulator approved for military use. MR-12 stands for: Military Regulator, Single hose, Two stage.

The balanced diaphragm MR-12 first stage, in my opinion, was one of the finest ever made (see picture). One particularly nice feature of this simple, compact, dependable regulator is the ease with which the intermediate pressure (IP) can be adjusted. See that big hex key slot on top? Stick an allen wrench in there, turn clockwise to raise the IP, and the other way to lower it. Simple! Snap an IP gauge into the inflator hose and you are all set.

The Voit Swimaster company was sold to Mares somewhere in the early-70's and the MR-12 was from then on sold as a Mares MR-12.

one thing that im kinda curious about is how ppl judge the sherwood regs, cause from wat i heard, they dont perform as well especially in stressful conditions, yet ppl here seemed to be very fond of them...... :confused:

I like this group of regulators because:
1. They breathe great.
2. The "Dive/Pre-Dive" switch is nice.
3. The diaphragm is behind, rather than in front of the regulator. That prevents a free-flow if you are facing a strong water flow in a spring.
4. The hose can be attached on the left or right.

Pictured in front is a Pilot from around 1977. On the left is an A.I.R.-1 introduced around 1980. It was called the "Darth Vader Regulator". On the right is a D-400 from about 1998. I have the D-400 teamed up with a MK-20 first stage. The D-400 2nd stage is so light, and the volume of air that it will deliver is so great, that when I bumped it and caused a free flow while walking to the water, that regulator actually flew up in the air like a rocket. I had never seen anything like it. The free flow was easy to stop by putting my my finger in front of the mouthpiece outlet. I have taken it down to 150-feet and it breathed great. Virtually no resistance and all the air I could want.

God knows whats best...You should use a reg you like so test diving with a borrowed reg might give you the answer.

I myself have Poseidon Xtreme Recreational for leasure dives with an Xtreme Octo as well.

My two kids have Apeks ATX200 with ATX40 Octo's. Both very good as long as you keep 'em clean. (Sand, salt crystals or dust may cause a tiny inconvenience leak on stuff with complex interior designs, so the simpler the better).

I like my Xtreme, it's like breathing normally while in the water. You just have to get used to the rusch of momentary air, when you open the bottle initially when fitting the reg on the bottle.

As we do both hot and cold, both types seem to work very well and the octo has always been there. So far we actually never had a reason to use the octo, apart from practicing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom