My HOG Regs are Crap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you consider them unsafe? That would be the only reason to recommend people not buy them. Consider the products that you like, then do a google search for "<product you like> sucks". How many examples of problems? No...we should not buy products any more.

@Canadave, I own two pairs of HOG regs, and took the class to learn to service them. The money saved helped pay for that. :)

Your post title is a bit provocative. Maybe it was intentional, but you had one isolated experience. Hard to generalize from such a small sample size. Imagine it had been Apeks regs? Lots of folks recommend those as well.

[edit] Sorry...reading comprehension...your title specifies YOUR regs! [/]

Scubapro G250s are pretty well regarded. A slight bit more than HOGs, I'd say.

Unsafe? Meh, probably not. HOGs just seem to be a general pain in the ass. Its a myriad of little things over and over. Ain't nobody got time for that.

The money it saves me from the initial purchase price to the cheaper service kits (which are a recurring cost) is worth the little pain-in-the-assness for me. :D

The problem with Hog regs is that, because they are so inexpensive people don't care for them as well as they would if it were a more expensive piece of equipment. Many of my tech friends and I own Hog regs as well as other brands. But what I notice when I service them is that the condition of the equipment is more linear to the owner than the brand. I could trash my expensive Apeks regs if I didn't maintain them.

As a reg tech I've also noticed that people buy hog regs and dive them till they don't work and then buy more hog regs. It winds up being cheaper than servicing them annually especially for o2 cleaning. The cost has pretty much made them disposable and that's the real problem.

A problem I had was paying $200 to service my Apeks regs.......now that's disposable compared to HOG.

Background, I'm a reg tech but couldn't get time to do my regs, my shop owner did them for me........I quit shortly after. Maybe I should move this to rants.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please send me your "trashed" HOG regs!

Is the part in question something you would normally only see when servicing the reg? If so, is this something that could be considered a normal regulator problem dealt with during service?

Chris leaves the company and things just go down the toilet fast 'eh? :joke:

Is the part in question something you would normally only see when servicing the reg? If so, is this something that could be considered a normal regulator problem dealt with during service?

Chris leaves the company and things just go down the toilet fast 'eh? :joke:

The orifice would typically only be removed during a service, it is well-hidden until then.

The discoloration in the photo looks atypical to me. The corroded orifices I've encountered with old and abused ebay regs were the typical greenish powdery corrosion of brass.... that looks like rust or rust stains, i.e. the corrosion you'd see with a plated steel part.

Makes me wonder if the supplier substituted a non-spec orifice or air tube... plated steel instead of chrome plated marine brass?

Anyway, easy to take care of during service, but I'm surprised at the color.

Best wishes.

Reactions: Jax
OP.. Would you be willing to sell your HOG regs and if they are crap maybe you could give a good price on them?

Let us know how much you want for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 31st, 2014 at 07:10 AM ----------

Please send me your "trashed" HOG regs!

Crap, I guess you beat me to it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom