My Miflex feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Switched out all my hoses to Miflex and couldn't be happier. No more reg pull, no more flying octo hose. Haven't experienced anything similar to the OP.

I'd agree with that (I have miflex inflator, 'standard' length (28"?) on secondary and 5' primary, no swivel (apart from the inbuilt one)

It does seem to be more important to route them carefully - it's hard to explain, but kinda like you need to keep the 'up' side of the hose up when wrapping them around you, if that makes any sense - when donning, maybe that's what BJ is referring to as 'memory'?
Torguga68, that is about the best description of the issue that I've seen yet.

On my single tank reg I have a 5' Miflex primary, 22" Miflex for the bungeed backup, and a short-ish 18" Miflex inflator. I notice exactly what you are referring to. Because the long hose is wrapped, it might make it more noticeable to (as you say) keep the 'up' side 'up'.... Its not so much an issue with the other two Miflex hoses, probably because once they are in place they basically stay in place with no torsional stress.

Glad it made sense to someone!

If you don't wrap the long hose carefully, it can get some funny bends in it

If you do it right, it doesn't seem to be an issue for me

I'm guessing it's because of the woven outer not being happy to flex 'against the grain' as it were

No way I'd change back either way, the reduced pull on the second stage is well worth it IMHO

Glad it made sense to someone!

If you don't wrap the long hose carefully, it can get some funny bends in it

If you do it right, it doesn't seem to be an issue for me

I'm guessing it's because of the woven outer not being happy to flex 'against the grain' as it were

No way I'd change back either way, the reduced pull on the second stage is well worth it IMHO

See for me that pull is from the unhappy weave flexing against the grain. I am constantly deploying that 5' hose (all my hoses really) and having the hose not just go back to where they were, without fiddling, is annoying.

The worst is when I loop the 5 footer back around my neck, and it wants to ride up onto the back of my head because it does not think I put it there right. It ends up pulling on the reg in my mouth because it catches on my head.

I wonder if it is a specific problem for eme because I am deploying the hose and re-wrapping them all the time.

I don't have any Miflex hoses, but several of my buddies do and they seem to like them. The only thing I have noticed, when someone donates their long hose to me, the Miflex takes a bit of unkinking to get it to lay straight. It's more awkward for the receiver with no experience owning one than the standard rubber hoses.

I recently switched to Miflex as well: 5' primary, 24" backup, 22" inflator. Really like the flexibility of the hoses.

I may have noticed the Miflex "stubbornness" without really thinking about it? Could it be because the softer Miflex actually allows a bit of twisting (along it's axis) before rotating the 2nd stage swivel connection. Whereas the stiffer rubber hose allow very little (if any) twist and kinda "forces" everything into position?

Henrik

well I just bought new miflex hoses. But haven't gotten them wet yet.

Got a 44" for under arm with a 90 on it, and a 22" or 24" for secondary on a necklace.

I'm already thinking about trading out the 44" for a 60" so that I can bring it around my neck. Mostly so that when I take it out, it won't fall away but will fall over my shoulder...

I have a 5 ft looped under the arm and around the neck,the only thing I noticed was reg push was gone,I was using a standard length hose before.

since this is the "feedback thread"....

I noticed that Miflex isn't made in blue in the 44", 60", etc... I wonder why that is?

go up to 7' and they have blue again. go figure.

I'm just guessing, but maybe they only do alternate colours in the more 'popular' sizes? (although I would have thought that 5' is a pretty popular size)

Anyway, if you use a blue hose, YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!11!

I wonder if it is a specific problem for me because I am deploying the hose and re-wrapping them all the time

Could be - I haven't needed to deploy mine very often

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom