My proposed first set of gear. Any bad choices in here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone, After hours of research and asking many questions on this board and visiting several LDSs, I think I have my first rig figured out. If anyone feels I'm making any mistakes in this setup (as a new OW diver who may eventually move into more fun stuff like wrecks and night dives, etc), please let me know your thoughts. Or, if you like my setup, feel free to give me a thumbs up. Thanks to everyone for your help so far!

Also, feel free to suggest additional items I might want. Warmer water diver, but I won't be afraid to go out in the winter (still relatively warm water compared to some of you guys!)

To Purchase: (Mostly looking for feedback on this section)
Zeagle Express Tech/24lb/ripcord weights (although I could still be convinced to do a USS BPW maybe)
Atomic Z2 with miflex hose modification
Atomic Z2 Octo
Uwatec Galileo Sol
Gloves (no decision made - I'll just go pick some out at the LDS)

Already Purchased (didn't have much time to research):
ScubaPro TwinJet Max Fins
ScubaPro Nexus Snorkel (foldable for travel)
ScubaPro DeckSole 5 Boot (already not sure I like these - relatively heavy - might be tiring on a full day of diving)
EagleEye-2LV Rayblocker Mask (excellent anti-glare properties)
Henderson Hyperstretch 5mil wetsuit (snagged it on a closeout!)
See Me Tube

What I considered in my research process:
Uwatec Galileo Sol (winner - has it's downsides, but best overall bang for the buck on a wrist mount with AI)
Uwatec Galileo Luna (not enough savings to justify)
Oceanic OC-1 (too expensive for marginal feature set & not user friendly, overrated)
Oceanic VT-4 (small screen, terrible compass screen, not as user friendly as the Uwatec)
Mares Icon HD "net ready" (way too expensive, some concerns about charger pins being flimsy)
Atomic Cobolt (decided against console even though this thing is awesome)
(Also looked at some Tech Diving oriented computers, but decided I'll worry about buying those if I get into Tech diving after a couple of years experience).

Zeagle Express Tech/24lb/ripcord weights (winner - minimalist, almost a BPW, light weight, good for travel, should be almost neutrally buoyant)
BPW from Deep Sea Supply (may end up being my second rig)
Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe (unnecessary extras over standard ZET)
ScubaPro SeaHawk (decided against traditional BCD)
Zeagle Stiletto (decided against traditional BCD)

Atomic Z2 + miflex modification (winner - 2yr service interval, great breather, good value)
Atomic B2 (expensive + swivel probably not any more comfortable than Z2 with miflex)
ScubaPro MK17/S600 (1 yr service interval, easy to lose warranty)
ScubaPro MK25/S600 (1 yr service interval, easy to lose warranty, overrated for the price)
Zeagle ZX50D (just didn't like the looks of it but don't have anything negative to say about it)

Atomic Z2 Octo (winner - same brand as primary)
Zeagle Envoy Octo (decided to keep my Octo same brand as primary even though the Envoy is significantly less expensive. Might be a waste of money to stay Atomic all around - I don't know)
Atomic SS1 (decided against this approach)
ScubaPro Air2 (decided against this approach)

ScubaPro TwinJet Max Fins (winner)
ScubaPro SeaWing Nova (still don't know why I chose the TwinJet Max over these. When it came down to it, I almost flipped a coin - both would have probably been good choices)
ScubaPro TwinJet (older style)

Last edited:
24 lbs of lift with 30 lbs of weight capacity?

I would go simpler with a pure BP/W........

Sol computer - I would go with a much simpler unit which is more than enough for rec diving (buy two so you have redundancy)...

My thoughts......M

I would also skip AI and go with a SPG

Great research.

Backplate with Wing. Stainless steel.
Zeagle weight pockets that attach to backplate.

I like the Mk25/S600 myself.

Ford vs Chevy argument. Both are good choices.

Great choice on wrist computer.

Learn tables buy a watch and there's your redundancy.

Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backplate with Wing. Stainless steel.
Zeagle weight pockets that attach to backplate.

I like the Mk25/S600 myself.

Thanks. I like your idea on the BPW with Zeagle weight pockets. Not sure about going Stainless Steel. I might not need weight at all in saltwater with Stainless and might be overweighted in fresh. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm concerned about it. With Aluminum or Kydex backplate I could just carry more weight in the pockets if I need it, right? Thoughts?

I eliminated the ScubaPro regs mostly due to company policy differences on warranty and service intervals. Nothing wrong with the ScubaPro regs at all, but once you've lost a ScubaPro warranty, there's no getting it back. Atomic has a 2 year interval and then even if you miss it, Atomic supposedly gives their LDS's more leeway to let it slide than ScubaPro does. That's what broke the tie between ScubaPro and Atomic for me.

A $1300 computer and a wrist watch - seems like both ends of the instrument spectrum......

Get two Zoops for $550 and be done with it......

M

With the Sol if you need to use your "redundant" watch your ending the dive anyway since you also lost your air pressure...I guess the watch will help you time your safety stop as you guess at your depth.....

24 lbs of lift with 30 lbs of weight capacity?

Not sure I get your point here. 30lb of weight capacity doesn't mean I'd be carrying 30 pounds of weight. And isn't the idea of weight to be neutrally buoyant with a deflated bladder? So properly weighted, I'd be 24 lbs positive buoyant with a full bladder no matter how much weight it took to be properly weighted. Am I missing something?

Seems like a "big" system for a small wing....the pockets look massive on the Express Tech.....

You can get much smaller lighter easier to travel with pockets than the Zeagle ripcord system......

Are you going for lightweight and easy to travel with?

With the 5 mil and AL80 how much ballast do you need?

M

Get two Zoops for $550 and be done with it......

I just looked up the Zoop specs on the Suunto web site. A little too basic for what I want, but the Suunto Vyper Air is one I missed before and looks like one worth taking a look at before pulling the trigger on the Sol. The Sol isn't perfect, so I'm still open to options and I will try to find a Suunto Vyper Air to play with. -thanks!

A lot of this come down to personal preference so try before you dive is the best advice.

Personally I would go with a BP/W for simplicity, good trim, and streamlining. Most of the BP/Ws out there are fine (OMS, DSS, Halcyon etc.). For Florida an aluminum BP would probably be enough and having 6 pounds of ditchable weight is not a bad idea. For Florida 24-30 pounds of buoyancy is plenty. BP/W is really the way to go if you have aspiration to tech or cold water. For recreational diving in warm water a conventional BC is an option.

Full disclosure is that I have a AI computer and like it, but then I could not imagine paying full price for the thing. You really do not need that computer but if you will not miss the dollars go for it.

For your regulator consider getting two identical second stages. Why would you get a relatively poorly performing octo for out of air emergencies that are likely to be relatively stressful?

Seems like a "big" system for a small wing....the pockets look massive on the Express Tech.....

You can get much smaller lighter easier to travel with pockets than the Zeagle ripcord system......

Are you going for lightweight and easy to travel with?

With the 5 mil and AL80 how much ballast do you need?

M

I see your point. Maybe I'll call the guy at USS and let him help me put together a system that meets my needs. I'd rather not dive AL80s but I guess that's pretty much what you get when you rent or go on liveaboards.

Yes, I'm trying to go lightweight so if I want to travel with it, I can, but I'm also going lightweight just for the sake of having as little "junk" strapped to me as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom