My proposed first set of gear. Any bad choices in here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splitlip you have good point this was from a few years ago - after diving Turks and Caicos with sharks in the open I would reconsider.....

The picture was more to show the rig and computers....since as a photographer I am not in a lot of pictures...:)

M

Streamlining can be done without AI or octo inflator - it is more about correct hose length and routing......

No matter what you do with hoses (or number of hoses) from a hydrodynamic perspective you will still be a brick underwater - you are far better off moving slowly to ease this concern....right back the heart monitor.....which serves no purpose...

M

24 lbs is plenty of lift until you start diving doubles and at that time you need another BC anyway. I do love the responces telling you to get a BP/wing instead......the ET IS a BP/wing. :)

When you look at the Zeagle web site is does not look like a plain BP/W - it got a lo more stuff on it....

Hence my comment about a pure BP/W...for me simpler is better.....

M

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. I've gotten a hold of a loaner ScubaPro BPW, aluminum with a 30lb donut to try tomorrow. I suspect ScubaPro is an overpriced option, no, wait, I take that back. I KNOW ScubaPro is an overpriced option, but the loaner will give me an opportunity to do a couple dives with one.

Is it an xtek pure harness? 30 lb wing?

Looks like it is a nice setup......

M

When you look at the Zeagle web site is does not look like a plain BP/W - it got a lo more stuff on it....

Hence my comment about a pure BP/W...for me simpler is better.....

M

Look again, the plain ET is just a plate, 2 cam bands, a bladder and a web harness. You can add a bunch of stuff if you like, just like any other BP. If you look both Jim and myself suggested he not get the delux, no need for the other stuff. Cost wise, at around $250 complete and ready to dive it's less than most wings alone.

Herman - I guess I can't find a good simple picture of the ET and the ET Deluxe has lots of extras...

I have a plain hog harness on a AL BP with SS D-rings and buckle, with a STA with 2 cam bands, two SX Scuba weight pouches and an Oxy 18lb Razor weights in at 6 lbs.

To get the ET to the same point I think you would need to add more stuff like the pouches and SS hardware......

M

Hey all, I have significantly revised my selections and am curious if I'm actually moving in a better direction here. I think my new choices are very good values - better pricing than my original choices without any loss of quality, and will put me in a Tech level rig right from the start. Your thoughts are appreciated.

To Purchase:
- Deep Sea Supply BP/W configured with the help of Tobin
- HOG D1 Coldwater 1st Stage DIN (don't need cold right now, but why not have it just in case?)
- (2) HOG D2 2nd Stages
- DIN to Yoke converter (just in case I need it while renting tanks somewhere)
- Miflex Extreme hoses for everything - Hog configuration or maybe modified Hog (by modified I mean that I might go with a 5' primary since I'm short and I'm a little ways from doing Tec dives that would require the 7'. Since I'm not going to carry a canister light, I think the 7' will be in my way. - thoughts?)
- Octo Necklace
- Uwatec Galileo Luna (chose Luna over Sol since I don't need multi-gas yet and don't care about the heart monitor. If I get to Multi-gas then I can buy the upgrade software OR maybe there will be a new computer by then that's a better choice at that time).

Old choices listed below:

To Purchase: (Mostly looking for feedback on this section)
Zeagle Express Tech/24lb/ripcord weights (although I could still be convinced to do a USS BPW maybe)
Atomic Z2 with miflex hose modification
Atomic Z2 Octo
Uwatec Galileo Sol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom