My proposed first set of gear. Any bad choices in here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of this come down to personal preference so try before you dive is the best advice.

Personally I would go with a BP/W for simplicity, good trim, and streamlining. Most of the BP/Ws out there are fine (OMS, DSS, Halcyon etc.). For Florida an aluminum BP would probably be enough and having 6 pounds of ditchable weight is not a bad idea. For Florida 24-30 pounds of buoyancy is plenty. BP/W is really the way to go if you have aspiration to tech or cold water. For recreational diving in warm water a conventional BC is an option.

Full disclosure is that I have a AI computer and like it, but then I could not imagine paying full price for the thing. You really do not need that computer but if you will not miss the dollars go for it.

For your regulator consider getting two identical second stages. Why would you get a relatively poorly performing octo for out of air emergencies that are likely to be relatively stressful?

Thanks for the recommendations. I believe my second stage choices ARE identical. The Atomic Z2 and Z2 Octo are supposedly the same reg, just one is in Yellow. Maybe having two identical Z2s and having them both the same color is better so I might get more opportunity to choose which reg to hand an oOA diver, but that's probably an entirely different discussion that I'll bet there's a thread on somewhere here.

I think your reasoning makes sense. 24lb lift seems a little small to me but not sure.

I looked at the Vyper Air and it looks elegant, but the Suunto digital compass seems awkward to use.

Don't let the old farts discourage you from air integration. It's a good idea.

Adam

Well as I mentioned before not a fan of AI......big fan if KISS - so its an SPG for me.....

The purpose of a computer is to give you depth, time and calculate NDL in "real" time......also Nitrox is nice for some dives....all the rest is just bells and whistles and things to go wrong....the more you pack into a single package.....timer, depth gauge, pressure gauge, compass....the more a single failure will impact you......

Plus the heart rate monitor is a pure gimmick.....your goal as a diver is to be zen like and relaxed....why not put a smart phone on your wrist so you can twitter while you dive......:)

M

I have two compasses a old school wrist unit and a little bitty one on my computer wrist strap.....I take the "big" one for real navigation while the little one is perfect for simple "which way to shore or boat" navigation.......which is 90% of my navigation.....

It was made by SP but it is no longer on their site....:(

M

I use 8 lbs with a 3 mil and AL80 - putting a 4 lb weight in a pocket that can hold 15lb seems out of whack......:)

Plus for trim I have my 2 x 4lbs on my top tank band in two XS Scuba pouches....

My warm water rig is a 18lb wing with AL BP and hog harness.....

M

Attachments

• _DSC7900.jpg
    _DSC7900.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 265
Informative posts Jorgy. And I agree for the most part. But I'll be keeping my mouth shut about the pic you posted. But that is just me. :D I believe we should not be endorsing baited shark dives.

Not sure I get your point here. 30lb of weight capacity doesn't mean I'd be carrying 30 pounds of weight. And isn't the idea of weight to be neutrally buoyant with a deflated bladder? So properly weighted, I'd be 24 lbs positive buoyant with a full bladder no matter how much weight it took to be properly weighted. Am I missing something?

I had the same question some time ago, and the answer actually makes sense - when you know what it is.

The bouyancy needs to be considered from two angles - the system (you and all your gear) and the sub-system (the BCD & tank).

If you need to remove your BCD, you need to be able to make IT neutrally bouyant. BCD + weights + tank needs to be less than the lift capacity of the BCD - or it won't float.

So even if it all works when you are wearing the BCD, it may not if you have to remove it.

One way to deal with this issue - if it is an issue in your situation - is to split the weight between the BCD and a belt so that it is not overweighted when removed.

If you wanted to streamline simplify ,consider AI (less hose to drag ) Atomics SS1 ,which for an alternate breaths as good as most regs out there.I love my VT3 w/AI (does nitrox/freedive/air) Atomic SS1 has some cool features as well. one that comes in handy is the connector for corrugated hose also fits garden hose for easy rinse of BC after dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom