My proposed first set of gear. Any bad choices in here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all, I have significantly revised my selections and am curious if I'm actually moving in a better direction here. I think my new choices are very good values - better pricing than my original choices without any loss of quality, and will put me in a Tech level rig right from the start. Your thoughts are appreciated.

To Purchase:
- Deep Sea Supply BP/W configured with the help of Tobin
- HOG D1 Coldwater 1st Stage DIN (don't need cold right now, but why not have it just in case?)
- (2) HOG D2 2nd Stages
- DIN to Yoke converter (just in case I need it while renting tanks somewhere)
- Miflex Extreme hoses for everything - Hog configuration or maybe modified Hog (by modified I mean that I might go with a 5' primary since I'm short and I'm a little ways from doing Tec dives that would require the 7'. Since I'm not going to carry a canister light, I think the 7' will be in my way. - thoughts?)
- Octo Necklace
- Uwatec Galileo Luna (chose Luna over Sol since I don't need multi-gas yet and don't care about the heart monitor. If I get to Multi-gas then I can buy the upgrade software OR maybe there will be a new computer by then that's a better choice at that time).

Old choices listed below:

I dive the hog regs, with a 5ft hose, because like you, i am short and don't have a canister light just yet. A 7ft hose would be overkill for me. Once I do get a canister light in a few months, it will be nothing to swap over to a 7ft hose. Also, I'm not currently in the US, but the UK. I left a message on the edge/hog board asking if it were possible to get the service manual for my regs so my shop could service them. Chris has emailed (or will soon be emailing) them to my local shop.

I have a plain hog harness on a AL BP with SS D-rings and buckle, with a STA with 2 cam bands, two SX Scuba weight pouches and an Oxy 18lb Razor weights in at 6 lbs.

The exact rig in my profile pic right down to the the XS pouches on my upper cam bands. The same weight I measured as well which weighs less than my daughter's BC. Except mine is a couple pounds negative and her's positive.

Hey all, I have significantly revised my selections and am curious if I'm actually moving in a better direction here.

Yes you're going in a much better direction. The 5' hose/bungied alternate is perfect for OW diving. Two suggestions: 1)If you're diving yoke tanks, like on any U.S. or caribbean charter where they supply tanks, forget the DIN/yoke adapter. Trust me on this one, you'll be much happier without the 1st stage smacking you in the head every time you look up. Get a yoke 1st stage. Later when you need DIN for technical diving, you can get another 1st stage or a DIN connector. If the HOG does not come with a a yoke option, get something different. 2) Forget the stupid AI computer, unless you'd rather spend large amounts of money on gear that will not improve your dive experience. Just get a simple wrist computer and a SPG on a 24" hose. It ends up being MORE convenient in the long run, way cheaper, and you won't miss a thing. Once you get some experience diving, I believe you might appreciate having a very simple computer that does the essentials: time/depth/NDL/simple N2 (and O2 for nitrox) loading bar. The rest (IMO) simply distracts you from actually enjoying the dive.

3) Sorry I meant three suggestions...you really don't need the miflex hoses with the long hose set up; its additional length makes it more comfortable than a shorter standard hose. Take this suggestion lightly because I've never used a miflex hose. I just know that the problem of stiff uncomfortable hoses does not exist with the long hose set up.

The hogarthian guys really have some things figured out...the whole KISS philosophy is central to enjoying diving, again IMO. From your perspective as a new diver, it's very easy to get caught up in the hype of all the gear.

I agree DIN is only if that is what you dive regularly - my cold water reg is DIN and I dive DIN LP95s locally......

My travel reg is yoke, since that is vast majority of rentals - the good old AL80......

I use a 5 ft Phantom on my travel reg, it is very comfortable....

Hoses for SCUBA - Dive Gear Express

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom