Naui master diver vs divemaster water skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI is 'Coca-Cola', and NAUI is 'Pepsi', is it accurate?

Not at all!

Probably more like Volkswagon and Porsche. It's true they both result in being able to drive down the road. But with the Porsche, you enjoy it!

Richard

Not at all!

Probably more like Volkswagon and Porsche. It's true they both result in being able to drive down the road. But with the Porsche, you enjoy it!

Richard
OK, it's interesting!

That is the point exactly Steve.. If you look at what you have to do in the end, it works out to be a wash, unless you 'think' the NAUI training is tougher?
completely agree.

to be fair to NAUI, they aren't "missing" a Rescue Diver course, its supposedly integrated intot the Advanced Diver class. Does that make them equivalent? Not likely... a PADI Rescue Diver needs 11 dives to get there (5 for advanced, 6 for rescue)... a NAUI diver only 6.

It seems the PADI certs are careful to enforce practical skills and more class/pool time for the "same" rating.

VW Veyron vs a Porsche Boxster? ;p Details DO matter.

Being an education system I think the comparison between a private, expensive, university vs a state-funded community college (non-profit) is a good model here. Both educate their students, and both leave with degrees, but the truth that you get what you pay for still rings true. Harvard vs North San Jose State college? :)

I don't mean to be so cruel to NAUI divers and insult their certs, but the facts are the facts... if you really want to be a scuba snob and decide on your partner's dive credentials based on the card he carries you're making a huge mistake. There are career Navy divers I will NEVER dive with (some I know refuse to wear an octopus), just like there are PADI or NAUI guys I wouldn't dive with either (i.e. macho "no fear" tools who see logging extreme dives as a right of passage... and yes, there are plenty of them on this board).

Pick your dive buddies like your life depends on it... because it may. Taking courses to master a skill is a self-development survival skill you SHOULD do. The fact is that PADI provides extensive specialty courses allowing someone to do just that. NAUI has none... I truely hope you master every skill in your 3 courses and 19 dives...

Wow... I had no idea NAUI snobs were so "forward".

NAUI Master Diver Card:
1. Open Water (text, pool sessions, 5? cert dives). Req? 10 yr old, good health.
2. Advanced Open Water (text, sessions, 6 dives) Req? 12 yr old, Open Water.
3. Master Diver course (text, sessions, 8 dives) Req? 12 yrs old, Advanced Open Water.

NAUI Divemaster
NAUI requires all the above plus the Divemaster course, text, cert dives, and 60 total dives. NAUI considers Divemaster a Professional Level course... not a Diver Level. hmmm....

Just to keep things honest here... Not saying one is better or not / but let's not misrepresent / because you make it sound a whole lot easier than it is...

NAUI Master Diver -
A minimum of eight open water dives is required.
Age - Minimum is 15 years.
Diver Certification - NAUI advanced certification or the equivalent is required. The instructor is to ensure adequate student knowledge and capability before any open water training and shall use skill or other evaluations to do so.

Naui Dive Master has many more requirements

Age - Minimum is 18 years. Experience - Specified for each Leadership course. Required logged dives shall be varied in environment and depth.
Rescue Certification - At a minimum, Scuba Rescue Diver certification is required except for Skin Diving Instructor, for which a lifeguarding certification is adequate.
CPR & First Aid Certification - Current certification or verified competency in CPR and First Aid is required for registration. Certification training shall include one person adult CPR, infant/child CPR, two person CPR and the use of rescue breathing barrier devices, e.g. pocket maskŽ®, face shield.
Medical Approval -
Administrative Requirements -
Diver Certification - The preferred minimum certification level is NAUI Assistant Instructor. Individuals not possessing the preferred certification may be accepted for training only if they meet the following criteria:
Certification - Certification as NAUI Master Scuba Diver and NAUI Scuba Rescue Diver or their equivalent. Divers with evidence of equivalent training and experience may be enrolled provided they pass the NAUI Master Scuba Diver written examination with a minimum score of 75%.
Experience - 60 logged open water dives.
Waterskills - Ability equivalent to that of a NAUI Assistant Instructor. Skills from the Assistant Instructor standards shall be evaluated if the candidate is not already certified as a NAUI Assistant Instructor

I don't know which agency has stricter standards but my instructor is going far above any stated. We (Master divers) are being trained with his divemaster class...these are some examples of the waterskills he is requiring of us:

Tread water for 20 min (feet and arms tied behind back)
Swim 500y in 10 min (no rescue stroke)
Swim 25y underwater (one breath)
Swim 50 y underwater (three breaths)
Skin diver ditch/don (15ft)*
Push 10lb brick 50y underwater (15ft)*
Clear mask 5+ times underwater on one breath*
Hold breath for 90sec (immediately after 500y swim)
Retrieve four screws placed in each corner of the dive well on one breath (dimensions 25x15x5yards)*
Snorkle 900 yards (forgot the time limit)*
Rescue tow 250y*

*= we are allowed mask/fins/snorkle, all others we are allowed NO equipment

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of this is bad. It will make us all better swimmers, and some of them are easier than others...but damn, some of them are tough. How many of you guys could do the screw retrieval or the ditch/don?

Wow - If this is for real, it sounds a bit extream. Was this guy an EX-SEAL? Hands and Feet tied? I can't imagine that either of the two oganizations in question here would approve of that. Just sounds unsafe for recreational diving.

Sounds like this guy is going beyond reasonable limits. And I happen to choose NAUI because of the the freedom that my instructor had to go beyond the book work. (And I'm a better diver for it.)

Anyone disagree that this seems a bit much?

... Being an education system I think the comparison between a private, expensive, university vs a state-funded community college (non-profit) is a good model here. Both educate their students, and both leave with degrees, but the truth that you get what you pay for still rings true. Harvard vs North San Jose State college? :)
Or it might be more like University of Phoenix (private, expensive and of questionable quality) vs. U.C. Berkeley (you'd be stupid to pay to go to Harvard if you can get into Cal).
I don't mean to be so cruel to NAUI divers and insult their certs, but the facts are the facts... if you really want to be a scuba snob and decide on your partner's dive credentials based on the card he carries you're making a huge mistake. There are career Navy divers I will NEVER dive with (some I know refuse to wear an octopus), just like there are PADI or NAUI guys I wouldn't dive with either (i.e. macho "no fear" tools who see logging extreme dives as a right of passage... and yes, there are plenty of them on this board).
If you happen to learn how to buddy breath and practiced it with regularity the wearing of an octopus could well be seen as optional.
Pick your dive buddies like your life depends on it... because it may. Taking courses to master a skill is a self-development survival skill you SHOULD do. The fact is that PADI provides extensive specialty courses allowing someone to do just that. NAUI has none... I truely hope you master every skill in your 3 courses and 19 dives...
You're long on "facts" but rather short on knowledge ... that's a dangerous combination, one I try my best to avoid.

I'm going to go have a Coke, PEPSI sucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom