NCD Club dive 12/4/2010 @ Gerstle Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are plenty of massive abalone inside Gerstle cove to look at that's for sure, but being that it's a no take zone you can't touch them.
Outside of the cove it's a different story.

Ohhhh... interesting. I though anyplace north of San Fran was fair game for taking. Regardless, it would be good recon to do beforehand to see just where abs like to hang out in general.

Abs are everywhere.
You can't do a shore dive up there without seeing dozens, sometimes hundreds of abs unless you do a sand dive somewhere. Even at Fort Ross off fat man beach (the sandy beach at the south cove) there are rocks out in the middle of the cove about the size of a compact car that are so crowded with abs down right next to the sand and up to about 3 feet, you couldn't find a space to fit another one. I counted 70 abs on one rock and didn't even get all the way around it.
Granted they were all mediorcre size (but legal) but the point is there are lot's of abalone to see.

Up beyond Fort Ross good luck with trying to find much sand it's all mostly rock.

I'm going to this dive (weather permitting)
I am interested in Carpooling with North Bay folk.... I live in Cotati and have a Jeep Liberty that can fit 1-2 more divers, tanks etc. 2 might be tight with weights, gear, etc... but gimme a call if you want to team up to save a little dough... I can drive

Steve
707-280-2128

If anybody here is interested in trying some diving up in Sonoma County next weekend, the North Coast Divers will be at Gerstle Cove at 9:00 AM Saturday 12/4/2010.

I've heard the sea nettle situation is kind of out of hand right now in Monterey. This might be a good a good alternative for you Monterey divers that are willing to make the trek, not to mention Gerstle Cove is a beautiful place to dive.
I can't guarantee what the sea conditions will be but I can tell you that there aren't any nettles up here.
Hopefully conditions will be good and we can get wet.

Bring your lunch!

Hey Eric... Question in regards to water temps over there: Is it similar to Monterey (in the 50 degree area)?

Also, how's the viz normally?

Hey Eric... Question in regards to water temps over there: Is it similar to Monterey (in the 50 degree area)?
Sometimes colder some times warmer than Monterey, but always within a couple of degrees of each other.

Also, how's the viz normally?
Vis can range from 40 feet on a good day to 8 feet. Diving in anything less than that and you are a hardcore diver. Average is around 15 feet. Last weekend Eric posted vis was about 35 foot at Still Water Cove.

The best vis I have ever seen in California was even further North in Mendocino County with a clean 80+ feet sidewayz.

If you have never traveled on the North Coast bring your camera. When you get to Jenner stop at the top of the bluff and snap a few pictures in the morning. If it is sunny and clear the scenery is gorgeous with the GIANT rocks towering above the ocean waters.

Thanks for the tips. Salt Point/Gerstle Cove is about the same for me distance (3 hours, at least according to Google Maps) as Monterey (I live in the Sacramento Delta area). I saw it on a local website and it's been one I'd want to visit after me certification dives.

Thanks for the tips. Salt Point/Gerstle Cove is about the same for me distance (3 hours, at least according to Google Maps) as Monterey (I live in the Sacramento Delta area). I saw it on a local website and it's been one I'd want to visit after me certification dives.

Hope to meet you this weekend then :nudge:

Well it's a definite go for me tomorrow. I filled up two of my 72's and am packing my gear. I'll be driving a white Dodge Ram Pick em up. For those who have never been there before you are in for a treat. Salt point is a jewel on the the Sonoma Co. Coast. Looking forward to meeting ya all!

I just checked the forecast and swell report and it's a go for me.
There might be a little swell coming in from the south west tomorrow but hopefully it'll still be calm.
There's zero wind right now at Point Arena.
Tomorrow might just be the calm before the storm we north coasters keenly seek out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom