Need A Couple Questions Answered.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok. i think i'm dialed in on exactly what i want/need. the question of course is always the same. brand. i've never been one of these ppl who buys a cheaper product just to save a buck. however i do always want to know that i am getting a good deal, or if nothing else getting my moneys worth. that being said. is halcyon worth the extra couple bucks. i love the cinch system. from what ive read theres alot of r/d that gone into their brand. I know this isnt a reg forum, but are atomic regs worth the money.

have a look at this package and tell me what you guys think. if its all good, i'll order it tomorrow.

Halcyon Eclipse or Infinity MC BC, Atomic Z2 Regulator, SPG PKG Halcyon Eclipse MC System with Atomic Regulator Z2X, Z2 Octo, Halcyon Brass SPG Package [Halcyon/Atomic Z2 Package] - $1,904.00 : Dans Dive Shop, Online Store

thanks again everyone. wouldnt be able to make this decision without you.

So, your thinking has evolved. In your first post you mentioned HOG gear from a local shop, and/or DSS gear, both of which are probably more cost-conscious. Now you've come up with a Halcyon package, with Atomic regs, from an online distributor.

Three reactions:

1. $1904 (Canadian) is (as we say in the southern Unitred states) a 'whomping' gob' of money. It is your money, spend it as you wish. I wouldn't spend it that way, but that's just me.

2. What is it about the Halcyon system that appeals to you / has caused you to move in that direction? I have three Halcyon wings (two doubles wings and a great single tank wing), as well as some Halcon cam band (weight) pockets, a Halcyon pocket for my waist strap, a Halcyon argon bottle attachment system, a Halcyon SMB, etc. I like Halcyon gear, and I own it. But, the ONLY way I (would) buy it is if I buy it used, or at staff instructor prices through my dive shop. Otherwise, the retail price is WAY too expensive for my tastes. Again, your money, spend it as you wish, but . . .

3. Why Atomics? Does your local shop sell (AND SERVICE) Atomics? If so, great! I like the idea of having both second stages the same (as I understand the package) - good for you. Nothing wrong with Atomics at all.

But, . . . I think the total price is a bit much for a BCD system and a regulator (OK, maybe I am understating it here - it is WAY too much). Maybe, I am too conservative. It is, as I said, your money. Spend it as you wish.

So, your thinking has evolved. In your first post you mentioned HOG gear from a local shop, and/or DSS gear, both of which are probably more cost-conscious. Now you've come up with a Halcyon package, with Atomic regs, from an online distributor.

Three reactions:

1. $1904 (Canadian) is (as we say in the southern Unitred states) a 'whomping' gob' of money. It is your money, spend it as you wish. I wouldn't spend it that way, but that's just me.

2. What is it about the Halcyon system that appeals to you / has caused you to move in that direction? I have three Halcyon wings (two doubles wings and a great single tank wing), as well as some Halcon cam band (weight) pockets, a Halcyon pocket for my waist strap, a Halcyon argon bottle attachment system, a Halcyon SMB, etc. I like Halcyon gear, and I own it. But, the ONLY way I (would) buy it is if I buy it used, or at staff instructor prices through my dive shop. Otherwise, the retail price is WAY too expensive for my tastes. Again, your money, spend it as you wish, but . . .

3. Why Atomics? Does your local shop sell (AND SERVICE) Atomics? If so, great! I like the idea of having both second stages the same (as I understand the package) - good for you. Nothing wrong with Atomics at all.

But, . . . I think the total price is a bit much for a BCD system and a regulator (OK, maybe I am understating it here - it is WAY too much). Maybe, I am too conservative. It is, as I said, your money. Spend it as you wish.

LOL as Colliam7 said, it's your money!

Personally, I won't buy Halcyon cus of the price. As I've said in so many threads before, is H worth 2x the price of other rigs from caveadventurers or DSS... NO!

With the Atomics regs I've seen my friend service, they tend to be full of cristolube and a lot of the shops I know charge extra for having to clean it out completely before doing the rest of the servicing.

As this is your first rig I would say look around more.

Having owned an eclipse rig I never understood the rational for the wing to be bigger at the top when most people are feet heavy plus, I get so much bang outta my buck with a oxycheq extreme wing which is even cheaper then a H eclipse wing and it's pretty much puncture proof.

For regs, you could do a lot worse then an Apex XTX 50/DS4 or a scubapro MK17/600 or 250.

The atomics/halcyon setup is the highest range of gear however, it's magnet for thieves and unless you are the LV/Gucci/Armani brand conscious type who needs to show up with the latest and flashy rig, a DSS or Caveadventure rig with a OMS alu/steel plate is perfect for just plain diving.

I would either stick with the (local) HOG or the DRIS or DSS options.

I have dealt with Dan's and they are definitely stand up guys to deal with, but you are paying twice what we paid for my sons HOG BP/W and regs.

Take the extra grand and use it to buy a couple of tanks.

so if i do go with a basic one piece harness, can i add things like the quick release and adjustment sliders to it. or would that require a totally different harness

Get it long enough and you have no problem.. Essentially you end up with an upper section and lower section with the releases. You have to allow enough length to double back. Strap works has good prices on webbing and hard wear IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ok. this is good. The H gear...well as i said before, i want the adjustablity. and as said before, plastic clips and extra webbing are a No No. The Cinch system seems pretty cool. But as far as i know, there are no H dealers anywhere close to me. The Atomic Regs....well there Atomic regs. I can afford good gear, and when i think about it, my regs are not the type of thing i want to base on price. Does DSS make a Similar system to Cinch. Their glide harness i believe it is? Again, im open to all options, brands, and price ranges of gear. I just want to know that i am getting the best gear possible for the money. and that im getting the best deal possible. According to Dan's, the H prices are set by H, and there is no negotiation. however, they can give deals when packages with other brands. thanks tho everyone.

this may sound materialistic, but i do want it to look like good gear as well as perform good.

this may sound materialistic, but i do want it to look like good gear as well as perform good.

It sounds a little narcissistic, but don't take any offense, all of us are guilty of it in one way or another. But on the subject of how gear looks, I will confess to feeling a bit superior (totally uncalled for, BTW) when I see a brand new diver decked out in the most expensive tech-ee gear around. So don't overdo it....

If you want cool looking gear, go vintage!

It sounds a little narcissistic, but don't take any offense, all of us are guilty of it in one way or another. But on the subject of how gear looks, I will confess to feeling a bit superior (totally uncalled for, BTW) when I see a brand new diver decked out in the most expensive tech-ee gear around. So don't overdo it....

If you want cool looking gear, go vintage!

LOL how true... vintage is COOL!

New diver, decked out with all the latest gear, liquid vision comp, Poseidon regs, Halcyon bp/w, force fins etc then goes about banging into everything in the water lol! Like driving a Lamborghini after getting a license.

Underwater virtually every bp/w looks the same... and you are not going to be strutting your stuff above water with a full tank and gear... your more likely going to wanna go in asap!

Wanna look cool too go sidemount.

I'm with you - I enjoy a well designed, good looking piece of kit :)

If you can get them locally (if you care about that) - Apeks regs are 1) good quality and 2) well designed ... and good looking.

I also like my H gear. Yep, it's pricy, and only you can decide if the added cost is worth it to you. But the H gear is well made and along with the H accessories makes a nice system.

I've been very happy with my DSS plate as well.

ok. this is good. The H gear...well as i said before, i want the adjustablity. and as said before, plastic clips and extra webbing are a No No. The Cinch system seems pretty cool. But as far as i know, there are no H dealers anywhere close to me. The Atomic Regs....well there Atomic regs. I can afford good gear, and when i think about it, my regs are not the type of thing i want to base on price. Does DSS make a Similar system to Cinch. Their glide harness i believe it is? Again, im open to all options, brands, and price ranges of gear. I just want to know that i am getting the best gear possible for the money. and that im getting the best deal possible. According to Dan's, the H prices are set by H, and there is no negotiation. however, they can give deals when packages with other brands. thanks tho everyone.

There is very little (practical) to differentiate between any brand of well made BP or wing. The non-Halcyon versions are in no way inferior, and you aren't getting any more for your money with the Halcyon. Before spening money on a tricked out harness, try the basic one - the throw away cost if you still want the tricked out one is trivial, certainly less than going the other way around. The harness is also trivial to change (Dan's is a Canadian dealer for DSS as well BTW).

Any brand name reg (with cold water kit for where you are) is likely to be as good as any other. Local service is important, whether you buy it local or not - unless you want to deal with service via post. I love my Apeks regs. Son loves his HOG. Other brands like Scubapro, AquaLung, Mares... all good solid regs with wide variation in price points. Little discernable difference for most rec divers. Borrow some regs, rent some regs, visit the local shop, buy regs that you like and can get serviced locally. More $$$ does not get you more reg, it gets you more shiney. You will not go to far wrong with ANY of these brands, but the variation in wallet fatigue can be large.

Back
Top Bottom