Need A Couple Questions Answered.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So with regards to wings. Ive heard some ppl say that a donut is better than a horseshoe? any truth to that? Wings like the dive rite dual bladder rec wing. or other bungee cord wings. more trouble than thier worth. any particular wing thats better than others? shape and profile wise.

So with regards to wings. Ive heard some ppl say that a donut is better than a horseshoe? any truth to that? Wings like the dive rite dual bladder rec wing. or other bungee cord wings. more trouble than thier worth. any particular wing thats better than others? shape and profile wise.

A doughnut is slightly better but not necessary. However, all of the most streamline wings like the mach v and Torus are doughnuts.

Bungee cords are usually for wings that need to be folded down due to their shape or size, for the most part single tank wings don't need them.

In terms of shape, the low profile wings are the best for me IMO lol!

Love my oxycheq mach V 30 lbs wing.

So with regards to wings. Ive heard some ppl say that a donut is better than a horseshoe? any truth to that? ...

Depends on how you dive. I spend a lot of time head-down and twisting looking into holes and under rock shelves. A donut wing allows the bubble to shift to the high side, left or right. It also lets you dump most of the air in the wing on a head-down descent through the OVP, my normal descent position.

If you never dive like that there is no advantage. On the other hand, I am not aware of any disadvantages.

I agree, get a singles wing 30-32 LB lift should be plenty for single tank diving wet or dry.

Padding... be careful you don't reintroduce all of the extra buoyancy and clutter you are trying to get away from. A heavy rig is a heavy rig, padding not help appreciably especially with a significant wet or dry suit already factored in.

I made my harness with shoulder releases and sliders. The sliders are nice going between suits (trunks to DS w/ cold water garment) The LH release is especially nice when dropping my rig while wearing my DS. It totally avoids snagging the vent valve.

Pete

so if i do go with a basic one piece harness, can i add things like the quick release and adjustment sliders to it. or would that require a totally different harness

It is just webbing, dirt cheap, you can modify it any way you want and if you don't like the result the worst case is that you will need to replace $10 - $15 worth of webbing.

So yes, you could add sliders or quick releases.

It is just webbing, dirt cheap, you can modify it any way you want and if you don't like the result the worst case is that you will need to replace $10 - $15 worth of webbing.

So yes, you could add sliders or quick releases.

that's right but do you want to. KISS for starters. The reason for all those adjustments makes it easier to use one bcd for dozens of students. It will take 10 minutes to get it adjusted properly with your standard gear on. Then it's adjusted, no more sliders or clips to worry about, just one SS buckle and you're all set.

so if i do go with a basic one piece harness, can i add things like the quick release and adjustment sliders to it. or would that require a totally different harness

The only way you can add quick release, sliders would be unless u do it from the start...

Either a comfort harness or the hog type. You can't cut a hog harness n add a qr unless u have a handy heavy duty sewing machine available.
For glide harness like the ones from dss you need to either get the dss plate or learn to drill into your own plates.

I remembered that http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/ had some brass qr too for their comfort harness but u'll need to contact them.

I really like them for all their other stuff like the torches and their promotions like $180 for a 30Lbs wing http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/Hot-Deals-110

Last edited:
Many of your questions have been debated dozens of times, if you search this forum. The donut/horseshoe debate does not apply to properly sized single tank wings. The reason many people equate donut wings with being easier to vent is because the common comparison is between a small, narrow donut wing and a large, wide horseshoe wing. The only true single tank horseshoe wing I know of is the DSS LCD20 (or 30) wing, and it is a beauty; definitely the one I would get if I were buying DSS.

The donut wing passes under the tank, and you have to be almost entirely upside down for air to pass there. For large wings with heavier doubles, where you are really carrying a fair amount of air in the wing, sure, it's easier to move the bubble around in a head-down position if you have a donut. But for single tank diving you want the smallest, tightest wing you can get and you are usually diving with very little air in the wing. The section under the tank is basically unused 99% of the time.

Another nice single tank wing is the oxycheq machV series; I have the 18lb wing and I love it. Finally dive rite seems to have figured out that smaller=better in their single wings as well; and the current travel wing looks very nice.

Cold water diving often means a slightly larger wing due to the exposure suit requirements, but still it's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which most divers would need something more than 30lbs of lift.

I will support some points already made and add a couple of comments.
I'm still a little unsure if i want a harness with shoulder padding and quick release, or just a pure tek harness.
Shoulder padding - no. Quick release, on one (left) shoulder - well worth considering.
Are different BPs designed to work differently?
Generally no, with the exception of the material (and therefore the weight) of the BP. There may be some product lines with different size plates, but they perform the same function / 'work' the same. The hole spacing is generally going to be 11" OC, or a hole (or several holes) at the top, and a slot at the bottom, to allow use of a STA, or doubles. One point of non-commonality - certain manufacturers market covers for their plates (to allow you to slip a lift bag up under the cover, for example. These covers are often held in place by screws mounted to holes drilled around the periphery of the plate. Not all of these peripheral holes are spaced the same, across manufacturers, however. A minor issue, just mentioning it for completeness.
Do all BPs need STA's for single tank diving?
No.
Is there really a wing out there that is able to do both single and double tanks?
No.
or am i better off just focusing on single tank setup for now and purchasing a new wing later?
Yes.
adamp69:
Ive heard some ppl say that a donut is better than a horseshoe? any truth to that?
Hard to say, for most divers. I have both, and really do not find much of a difference. The trend is toward donuts, but both work just fine, at least for me.

I will stay out of the brand discussion. I have multiple brands of plates and wings, and it is hard to say there is a clear difference in product quality or functionality. I confess, I really like the support you get from DSS, and Tobin. If you have questions about their rigs, or are confused by something on their website, don't let that prevent you from considering them. Just call them up! Helping customers (and potential customers) out by phone and email is part of what they are very good at doing.
spectrum:
I made my harness with shoulder releases and sliders. . . . The LH release is especially nice when dropping my rig while wearing my DS. It totally avoids snagging the vent valve.
Echo this sentiment! While some may be unenthusiastic about having a shoulder quick release (failure point, etc.). I am not one of those. Frankly, getting out of my harness, after a cold water drysuit (and thick undergarment) dive, with doubles, is a pain. Even with a single tank it is. So, I really like being able to unclip the left quick release and get out of the harness.

I have multiple BP harnesses, two of which are commercial, the rest of which I made up myself (some with the help of my local shoe repair shop) from webbing, a buckle and some D-rings and tri-glides. I see no particular advantage to buying a commercial harness, unless it is very inexpensive, or the convenience is worth it to you.
SangP:
You can't cut a hog harness n add a qr unless u have a handy heavy duty sewing machine available.
That's what your local shoe repair shop is for. As others have noted, you can also use some stainless steel tri-glides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom