Need a quick question answered...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuubaadoo:
It has to do with the pressure of checked luggage vs the cabin pressure.

Hold and cabin pressure are identical. They're part of the same pressure vessel. There is no difference between hold and cabin.

Computer being "in sync" is also nonsense- it's turned off for the flight. It has no idea where its going from, too, it doesn't know its been on a plane.

scuubaadoo:
It has to do with the pressure of checked luggage vs the cabin pressure. Keeping the computer with you in the cabin means the computer is tracking the pressure you are at all the time. When you land and are ready to dive the computer is "in sync" with you.

ah...

no, no and no

:wink:

even computers which are "on" during the flight (for example, a NitekHe), will not be calculating Nitrogen load because you're not underwater and the computer knows this from the pressure -- which is never going to exceed sea level. when you (and the computer) get to the first dive, you start at zero.

most computers are just "off" during this time, and track nothing at all, like String says

that said, i worry that my computer is going to get banged around or stolen, so i try to carry it on with me. i've had no problems with security or customs anywhere i've been.

I'm headed for Cancun in the morning also, and I will be carrying on my regs and computer. First, I'll be sure if I get there they will as well. Next, in my Delta platinum days, I've seen handlers 'toss' luggage for distance out my window seat. I know it's ugly, but I don't want my life depending on the crap shoot of luggage handlers, so mine will be in my PC bag as a carry on.

Stan

carry it on is always best,especially if our luggage is delayed,your computer will be with you to dive

On one of my flights from Colorado Springs to Atlanta, I made the usual connection at DFW. I get to Atl. 3 AM and no luggage. The next day I get a call from American Airlines. They've located my luggage, "it's on a return flight from Paris" the lady tells me. Being that I'd changed planes in DFW, I ask her "Paris Texas?" . She replies "Paris France sir". These days I only check things that I would like to get rid of.

jwalko:
One other item to consider:

Airlines regularly exclude electronics from coverage if they are in checked baggage. I learned this the hard way, after about 2500 worth of electronics was "misplaced" from my checked baggage. I would suspect that if these computers disappear, the airline won't cover them. I would check w/ the airline to be sure.

John

Very true. I heard (anecdotally) recently that Southwest for one does not cover *any* electronics in checked baggage.

:jaws:It has been said that checking your computer into an un-pressurized compartment for a long period of time can damage the accuracy of the depth gauge?

Detroit is a notorious place of stolen properties. TSA might be a government employee, but that does not make them saints. If I can pocket an 800 buck dive computer, I might be tempted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom