Need a quick question answered...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have checked mine all the way to Thailand and had no issue at all..

The cabin pressure and the baggage pressure will be the same on an airliner, both pressurized to about 8000 ft to prevent bends like symptoms. On aircraft like the 747 there is an access panel in first class that goes to the Electronics bay, there are two doors down there leading to the baggage bay.
Smaller aircraft that have exterior baggage compartments will not be pressurized, then on those the cabins are not normally below 10,000 ft.

Baggage handlers don't have time to do much looking for items.

Airlines have a limit on what will be paid for lost or damaged items, usually a very small amount

I cannot imagine a company developing a dive computer that can not be flown.

my computer manual say carry on do not check it!

mark G:
my computer manual say carry on do not check it!
Does it state why? is it for security reasons (lost or stolen) or is it because of pressure? I have been checking my computer for years and never had an issue.

Quote directly copied from the manual of cressi computer manual

NOTE: While flying, the Archimedes II should be stored in
the pressurized cabin.
As previously noted, the Archimedes II is always on. When
diving at altitude, it is important to check that the appropriate
altitude adjustments have occurred. This function is carried
out automatically, updating every 10 minutes. Altitude adjustment
values will be displayed as follows:
no icon ( )- from 0 – 2.625 ft. (picture 1)
- from 2.625 – 5.250 ft. (picture 1-a)
- from 5.250 – 7.874 ft.
- from 7.874 – 19.685 ft.
- more than 19,685 ft. -out of range
Each icon indicates that the computer has automatically
modified its own mathematical model to adjust to proper
altitude.

IMO carry on is definately the way to go. We take our complete reg setup, gauges, computers etc. Got sick of putting other peoples junk in our mouths, same with masks. It's a small pain but no way can you trust security or handlers, even worse outside US.

when I fly and look at my computer it shows altitude( of course) so since the ambient pressure is less you are off gassing. Then when you land you have DESCENDED so you are not at zero but actually are "on a dive" ONGASSING. Those who said you land at zero should reconsider this point

Obviously one needs to check their owners manual because each dive computer is different. My computer can be checked. One would assume if it is not mentioned in the owners manual then it is safe to check it as baggage; if your worried about it and to alleviate any concern carry it on...

Back
Top Bottom