Need advice on 1st speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello I've used a polespear for awhile now diving and wanted to get a speargun. I'm looking for advice on certain brands or models that would be good for a beginner. I dont want to break the bank as it might not get used that often. Lets say 200.00 or less preferably. I would be using it in the Florida keys and the atlantic off central Florida in approx 80 feet to start. Thanks for any info and advice. Jason

For that price you can probably get something pretty good on Ebay. You may be able to pick up a A.B. Biller. If not, a JBL would be my second choice. Decide what you want to hunt with it, and then decide on the size.

IMO, a 42" is the minimum for legal snapper, grouper and AJs, and 48" would be better.

<oops. Double post>

See if you can pick up a biller 48". It's a great gun for Florida, although I think they run around $250.

In fact, you may want to PM CBulla. He was selling his biller 48 - in perfect condition (bad shoulder - can't pull the bands).

Whatever you do make sure you get a gun at least 48" unless you specifically need a super short gun due to low viz etc. Starting out with a short gun only guarantees frustration and the need for replacement in the near future.

deadend:
Whatever you do make sure you get a gun at least 48" unless you specifically need a super short gun due to low viz etc. Starting out with a short gun only guarantees frustration and the need for replacement in the near future.

Duno about the 48" bit.. my 42" has killed everything I hit with it. My only frustration is the pain in my rebuilt shoulder from pulling the bands back which means I need to take it easy a bit longer.

Jason - If your interested in a great starter gun, I'd be willing to sell mine!

Believe me, Colin's gun looks bigger in the water :D

I strongly agree with not buying a gun shorter than 48" long.
A 48" to 58" gun can be used effectively with a line or freeshaft. Not so of anything shorter. Most divers that buy anything shorter end up rebuying soon after. (Unless you shoot only dirty water.)

You will find $200 to be just a little low to get a new quality gun. More like $250 to $300 will buy a gun you will want to keep.

Check out the Aimrite guns on www.wongspearguns.com, unfortunately that's the only gun you could get from Daryl Wong that's close to that price range.

Chad

Thanks for the info. So I need to find at least a 48" gun.

Cbulla I know its a 42" but how much do you want for it?

Chad I spoke with you on the phone a couple weeks ago about a Stilletto from C & N divers in Mt Dora. I bought one but I had to get it from somewhere else b/c the 2 they had had a problem and I was pressed for time since I was going to the keys for mini season. Turns out I didnt even get a chance to dive with it. So I'll let you know how it goes. The only aimrite guns I see are railguns. What is the difference btwn these and regular spearguns. Thanks Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom