Need advice on 1st speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would check out the JBL line. They have great guns for affordable prices. Remember the gun is not the only part of the hunting,,,its also the tactics . I would check out the Woody selection of JBL. Ive had both Ab Biller and JBL,,,the JBl Line comes with a better wood finish and all around better gun for a beginer with the potential to catch huge fish.....Good Luck.

ReefGuy:
Believe me, Colin's gun looks bigger in the water :D

Everything looks bigger underwater -- that's why I love diving :D

Florabama:
For that price you can probably get something pretty good on Ebay. You may be able to pick up a A.B. Biller. If not, a JBL would be my second choice. Decide what you want to hunt with it, and then decide on the size.

IMO, a 42" is the minimum for legal snapper, grouper and AJs, and 48" would be better.

Do you mean that your spear gun must be at least 42" to shoot a snapper, grouper and AJs?

To have sufficient power and range the longer guns (48"+) will be advantageous to hit stronger, faster, and more wary fish.

Streamin Along:
Thanks for the info. So I need to find at least a 48" gun.

Cbulla I know its a 42" but how much do you want for it?

Chad I spoke with you on the phone a couple weeks ago about a Stilletto from C & N divers in Mt Dora. I bought one but I had to get it from somewhere else b/c the 2 they had had a problem and I was pressed for time since I was going to the keys for mini season. Turns out I didnt even get a chance to dive with it. So I'll let you know how it goes. The only aimrite guns I see are railguns. What is the difference btwn these and regular spearguns. Thanks Jason

I've been using a 42 Biller for years. I agree its a little small for pelagics, but I did shoot a 40 lb AJ with it, so it can take some bigger fish.

The main thing with a Biller is that it has a grommet that rides on the spear, and fits into the muzzle when you load the spear. Since the muzzle on all Billers is plastic, the muzzle where the grommet sits gets wollowed out over time. When this happens, the grommet, which acts as a spear guide either gets jammed into the muzzle slowing the spear shaft, or simply doesn't guide the spear causing inaccurate shots.

When this happens, the only recourse is to replace the muzzle. Fortunately, Biller sells parts for their guns, and its very easy and not expensive to replace the muzzle. With a new muzzle, a Biller shoots like new.

av8er23:
Do you mean that your spear gun must be at least 42" to shoot a snapper, grouper and AJs?

Yes, that's in the spearfishing bylaws. Haven't you read them? :D

Streamin Along:
Thanks for the info. So I need to find at least a 48" gun.

Cbulla I know its a 42" but how much do you want for it?

Chad I spoke with you on the phone a couple weeks ago about a Stilletto from C & N divers in Mt Dora. I bought one but I had to get it from somewhere else b/c the 2 they had had a problem and I was pressed for time since I was going to the keys for mini season. Turns out I didnt even get a chance to dive with it. So I'll let you know how it goes. The only aimrite guns I see are railguns. What is the difference btwn these and regular spearguns. Thanks Jason

Streamin,

That was unfortunate about the Stilettos. I talked to Chad Patterson at C&N, I believe he said they had a defectively sewn chest strap. Zeagle warrantied of course but not in a day.

Yes the Aimrite guns are railguns, popular for accurate and fast line shooting as none of these guns use slide rings. Very easy to pivot, but not as well set up for freeshafting. There's no enclosed track or muzzle like you'll find on the more expensive Wong FL Freeshafters, MGS, or some of the Hybrids.

Wood guns are my preference. A 48" to 54" Biller or SS Seahornet Classic would be good choices that are close to your price range. They would be effective freeshafters greatly enhancing your bottom fishing, whereas a 42" gun will not.

It's a simple formula... big gun = big fish!

Chad

I think he was joking. There's no law about the size of your gun, it's in how you use them :).

If you want bigger fish, you'll need a bigger gun, and the breakoff is 42-48". I like my biller 48" floridian for grouper. The smaller guns are ok for smaller fish.

av8er23:
No I have not read them....thats why I am asking questions. So the smaller spearguns are used for spearing what kind of fish? I have seen someone on a boat with me that had one that was no longer than 24".

av8er23:
No I have not read them....thats why I am asking questions. So the smaller spearguns are used for spearing what kind of fish? I have seen someone on a boat with me that had one that was no longer than 24".

I'm sorry, I thought you were kidding. I've been using my 42 Biller for about 6 or 7 years, and I will shoot anything I can get close enough to to shoot. I've shot a lot of grouper and snapper, but not any giant ones, and that was not by choice.

As others have said, the smaller the gun, the less range and power you have. I did shoot a 40 lb Amberjack with it, and that's the biggest fish I've ever taken with it. As AJs often do, he swam right up to me, and I shot him at nearly point blank range. Still, I didn't kill him and he took me for a ride and bent my spear shaft. I finally managed to get him close enough to grab him under the gill and stick my stringer through his eyes. As far as grouper and snapper, probably the biggest I've shot was 10 - 15 lbs -- not bad, but not giants.

As an example, these fish were shot with a 42 Biller. My son shot the fish with his wooden 42 and I got the lobster.

DSCF0264.jpg

Back
Top Bottom