Need advice on a tough question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shop owner allowed us to use the same pool they were using
I would agree with one of the earlier posters...quit complaining or use your own pool. Did you even tell them you weren't with their class. You sound like someone who would go to a friends BBQ and then say the food sucks. Your opinion of him "ripping you a new one" sounds to me more like concern.

Your opinion of him "ripping you a new one" sounds to me more like concern.
...but this would be "concern" coupled with ignorance on the part of the DM in question, IMO. I think diving professionals owe it to their students to know about all the facets of diving (within reason) so they can address questions from those areas by students that may be interested in pursuing an avenue outside the recreational norm. If not, at least have the awareness and judgment to refer the student to someone with a little more expertise in certain areas..

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

my ego grows as the pile of empty beer cans gets higher and higher...is this what you're talking about????

Yup and like guys you "i got friends in low places...."

Backtanner once bubbled...

I would agree with one of the earlier posters...quit complaining or use your own pool. Did you even tell them you weren't with their class. You sound like someone who would go to a friends BBQ and then say the food sucks. Your opinion of him "ripping you a new one" sounds to me more like concern.

What the f*** kind of post is this? Is this a troll? I have never heard from this person before, and he is out here throwing stones.

They clearly knew that we weren't in their class. All of the DM's know us, as well as the course's instructor.

Backtanner once bubbled...

I would agree with one of the earlier posters...quit complaining or use your own pool.

I disagree....as a DM there would be no real good reason to leave un-certified "discovery divers" unattended....

The pool thing is an issue if and only if they weren't invited. The owner of the shop hosting the shindig said go ahead....

Obviously if someone is bringin their own gear to a discover scuba event, they aren't a student nor are they involved with the demo.

O-ring once bubbled...

I think diving professionals owe it to their students to know about all the facets of diving (within reason) so they can address questions from those areas by students that may be interested in pursuing an avenue outside the recreational norm.

This is one of the other reasons I took DIR-F....I'm really looking forward to the wreck diving trip in Michigan at the end of this month with the KPP...

O.K...sorry to get off track, but O-ring brings up a good point about professionals acting like professionals

I think it is the nature of the sport. It is hard to tell from here but I'm sure the DM was just trying help. Best to be polite back.

This has happend to me quite a few times (usually the long hose). I usually listen to what they have to say then make my own mind up. If they want to get into a p***ing contest then I can do that too :)

Don't assume that just because someone's a divemaster (or even an instructor or LDS owner), that they have all the answers. You know better what your diving goals are than they do.

I agree with those who say talk to the LDS owner (and DM). Do it in private, express your goals to them, and ask if it's OK to just go practice in the pool while they're teaching. If they say yes, then politely explain to the DM that you'd really prefer to just practice your skills with your buddy. While you appreciate that he'd like to help, you really know what you want to do and just need the pool time to practice the skills in a confined environment before trying them in open water. If he's got half a brain, he'll get the message without the need for harsh words or hard feelings.

This particular DM has been taught to demonstrate things in a particular way ... probably only at the OW level. That's what he's attempting to do. You're obviously past that. Just tell him that you understand what he's telling you, and that you've already mastered that skill ... now you're trying more advanced skills.

It surprises me that someone at the DM level doesn't understand this already ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...
Don't assume that just because someone's a divemaster (or even an instructor or LDS owner), that they have all the answers. You know better what your diving goals are than they do.

You are definitely right about this. In casual conversation, we were talking about the gear we use with them before we dove, and I could see the "deer in the headlights" look from them. It appears that they only know a limited view of the diving world, and unfortunately, they aren't open to finding out more.

I think everyone is right about mentioning it to the shop owner. I honestly went into it knowing that somebody was going to say something. What really got me going was that he wouldn't leave us alone underwater and was trying to "adjust" what we were doing.

I would easily venture to say that ALL of the DM's in our area are like this. They only work with students that are getting certified to go on a trip, and only really know enough to not kill themselves, in my opinion.

-- Rob

Rob,

What you’re experiencing is to be expected if you’re going to go against the flow. A back plate and wings with a long hose is certainly not the mainstream configuration.
It will be difficult for many divers to accept a different configuration that is as good as if not better, than what they’re using. To do so requires that they reexamine their worldview. That’s why change is difficult.

If you’re going to let the reactions like this bother you, there’s a rough road ahead. No offense intended, but you’re post does come across as a bit self-righteous and that may be making the situation worse. I’ve found that if you just calmly explain the equipment configuration and go about diving everyone will come to except it. Good diving skills tend to be easily recognized and universally admired once you get in the water and will provide credibility to your gear configuration. If however you set out on a crusade to get everyone to acknowledge the superiority of your configuration, things won’t go as well.

Good luck,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom