Need advice on a tough question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd guess that the DM felt like he was responsible for you...at least in some way. After all, you were in the pool on their time. Also, quite often a DM - especially a new one - will over react. As mentioned before, he probably meant well. I'm sure that he was unfamiliar with your gear configuration and your kick style. I know that I did a lot of dumb things when I was a young DM. Forgive and forget but be prepared to get some more of this in the future. Eventually the crowd you hang with will ease up on you.

But keep in mind...the goofier you look doin' what you're doin', the more ribbing you're likely to get. All the more reason to go practice somewhere. Then, when you do dive around your shop folks, you will look like you know what you're doing. A guy in a BP/wings with a long hose and bungied backup floudering around makes for a pretty entertaining picture...if ya know what I mean.

SA

In some of the other threads about trim and staying horizontal, it is mentioned that horizontal is good trim and anything else not. I disagree.
There are definitely times when you do NOT want to be horizontal. Generally, I think people are talking about open ocean/lake swimming in these forums though so they stress horizontal positioning more.

We aren't going to be caving, or wrecking (penetrating the wreck, anyways), but we still feel that the advanced kicks are better for all scenarios. We feel that these make diving so much better because you can actually see stuff around you, and others can see after you leave.

Granted, most probably wouldn't use a frog kick when trying to swim against a strong current, but i can't think of any other situations where an advanced kick may be inappropriate. Am I wrong on this?

ScubaVP once bubbled...

I think that is a very neutral response. What really got me mad was the what the DM did underwater. We were not his students and had made it a strong point to stay out of their way all evening.

I’m not suggesting that you respond neutrally, I certainly don’t. When asked about the long hose and bungeed backup I simply explain why I think it’s the best configuration. You’ll know right away if they’re willing to listen. I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard “there’s no way I’m going to wrap a hose around my neck,” despite the fact that there is no way it can choke you. It’s not worth arguing over or getting upset about.

I’m just completing PADI DM certification. One thing I’ve learned is once you take that step you have a responsibility to everyone in the water around you, both legally and morally. Furthermore, I would suggest that the DM was fulfilling what he/she saw as an obligation. Some are better than others in how they handle situations like this.

As Stephen suggested get over it and move on. Diving is supposed to be fun! If you get this worked up over such a minor incident, where’s the fun part? Why do you care whether someone else thinks that learning different kicks is a good thing?

Mike

I am a DM, and if weren't for this board, I would never have heard of DIR. And I have never seen anyone actually diving this set up. So, if I had seen you guys at the pool, I'm sure I would have had some questions. But I can only hope I would not have tried to tell you how wrong you were. I might have asked you to give a 10-15 minute explanations to the students so they would know why you looked "different" from they were currently being taught.

If the shop owner is a friend, why don't you talk to him and ask him to explain a little about DIR to his DM's. Or better yet, ask if he will allow you to do a little presentation of your own. Who knows, maybe you will win someone over.

Zagnut once bubbled...
I often use the Cornfed approach

I'm famous!

Rob,

You're spittin into the wind. Those folks teach students how to silt out the quarry in under 20 seconds. Silt is a way of life for them. They expect it and they're used to it.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Rob,

You're spittin into the wind. Those folks teach students how to silt out the quarry in under 20 seconds. Silt is a way of life for them. They expect it and they're used to it.

You are absolutely right, Mike. It is gonna be tough to deal with it when we have to, but I think Christine and I are gonna try to avoid diving very much with them.

Rob

ScubaVP once bubbled...
Ok, here goes.

The setup:

My fiance and I are not DIR divers yet, but we are currently in the processess of "mixing up the kool-aid". We dive Halcyon BP/Wings with a 5' long hose on our primary second stages and a bungied backup second stage.

<Snip story.>

By this time, I was pretty pi**ed off. All I wanted to do was work with my fiance without anybody messing with us. The bad thing about the whole situation is that we are very good friends with the diveshop owner. We really can't tell these guys to go get bent without damaging that relationship with our LDS.

My question is how would you have handled this situation? Any advice for further encounters?

Thanks!

I chucked a divemaster off the Singer Island dock for arguing with me about how tank straps weave through a cam band.

You obviously have more patience than I.

If you didn't buy this gear from the LDS, you should find someplace else to practice (assuming he owns the pool).

If you did, you should tell this story to the owner, just like you did us.

He should correct his associates.

Avoid those divemasters like the plague, they're ignorant.

Divemansters and Divecons are only responsible for providing coffee, anyway.

BTW, I drank that coolaid, and nothing happened.

Keep up your good work on refining your gear choices.

Don't hesitate to take a DIR-F class, you sound very ready.

Popeye once bubbled...

I chucked a divemaster off the Singer Island dock for arguing with me about how tank straps weave through a cam band.

You obviously have more patience than I.

If you didn't buy this gear from the LDS, you should find someplace else to practice (assuming he owns the pool).

If you did, you should tell this story to the owner, just like you did us.

He should correct his associates.

Avoid those divemasters like the plague, they're ignorant.

Divemansters and Divecons are only responsible for providing coffee, anyway.

BTW, I drank that coolaid, and nothing happened.

Keep up your good work on refining your gear choices.

Don't hesitate to take a DIR-F class, you sound very ready.

I am still cracking up from the coffee comment! That is just too funny!!! Thanks for the thoughts. My fiance and I are planning on taking the DIR-F course next summer if/when it comes back to Haigh Quarry. We are very excited to be exposed to that level of divers.

Back
Top Bottom