Need advice on a tough question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....I wonder if the 'problem' was the DM didn't want you to 'confuse' his OW students? While he's there teaching 'conventional' tactics, you're over there in the deep end doing something very different...both style and gear wise. The students are bound to see the difference and question things.

The first time I heard of DIR was on the Internet. The first divers I met who dove DIR style were the worst possible ambassadors to DIR or even diving.

You stated that you and your girl friend are the only ones in your area who are pursuing diving in the DIR style. So it would be safe to conclude that the LDS and all who work for the LDS have not had any exposure to DIR *yet*. If you are on good terms with the owners and employees of the LDS, it would be in *your* best interest to at least introduce DIR to them, and let them know that you intend on investigating and pursuing diving in this style.

Be friendly and open to the idea that not everyone will follow, just as not everyone will venture into caves or very deep waters. Most divers and dive shop owners who are approached this way will be curious and may even become supportive. They may not follow into diving in the Dir style, but they also will not become anti-DIR as many have. The reasons for the anti-DIR crowd all come back to how they were first exposed to it.

Good luck and Dive Safe

scubafanatic once bubbled...
....I wonder if the 'problem' was the DM didn't want you to 'confuse' his OW students? While he's there teaching 'conventional' tactics, you're over there in the deep end doing something very different...both style and gear wise. The students are bound to see the difference and question things.

I can see that point of view, but if they were professional instructors as well as experienced divers, they should have easy and ready answers to their students' questions.

yes indeed Normal Ill is a real place. Been there several times:)

In the situation you were in and for the future I would simply say to the people who have a concern about your gear and techniques,"we are learning to do cave diving and this is the gear and techniques that are used in caves" and leave it at that.

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
The first time I heard of DIR was on the Internet. The first divers I met who dove DIR style were the worst possible ambassadors to DIR or even diving.

You stated that you and your girl friend are the only ones in your area who are pursuing diving in the DIR style. So it would be safe to conclude that the LDS and all who work for the LDS have not had any exposure to DIR *yet*. If you are on good terms with the owners and employees of the LDS, it would be in *your* best interest to at least introduce DIR to them, and let them know that you intend on investigating and pursuing diving in this style.

Be friendly and open to the idea that not everyone will follow, just as not everyone will venture into caves or very deep waters. Most divers and dive shop owners who are approached this way will be curious and may even become supportive. They may not follow into diving in the Dir style, but they also will not become anti-DIR as many have. The reasons for the anti-DIR crowd all come back to how they were first exposed to it.

Good luck and Dive Safe

Ya want to know how to REALLY get your dive shop owner interested in DIR...

Go in the shop and put down some big cash...buy a Suunto Vyper...a set of Apeks DS4s...order a TLS 350. Say you're into DIR and want the gear for it. But don't just talk...put the money down!

They'll sit up and notice that. Otherwise, just talkin' DIR won't really 'float their boat'. I suspect that they'll just find it amusing.

SA

Oh yah...

Rob,

MikeFerrara is definitely "da man". But he's been a little cranky lately.

So...before you get twisted over your DM try gettin' to know 'em. You guys might end up bein' buds!

SA

Back
Top Bottom