Need advice on diving in Santorini, Greece in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wekiva

New
Reaction score
We will be spending a few weeks in Europe the first half of May. Our trip includes 2 days in Santorini. What is the diving like there? Is it worth trying to find a equipment rental/dive tour to go diving there? Or should we relax on the beach and see the sights. I think it would be great to include a dive on our trip especially if there is good diving in that area in May.

We are intersted in a shallow wreck dive or general coral/sea life dive. I realize it will be a bit chilly but can stand it w/ a wetsuit if there's something to see and the water is clear.

Thanks

Hi Wekiva, my wife and I have been to Greece twice (in my pre-scuba days) and both times we made sure we stopped by Santorini. It truly is a fantastic place.

We rented a minibike and were able to easily get ourselves around the island. In my opinion, the nicest beach is Kamari beach on the south-east side of the island, where the sand is black (from the lava). There are also lots of good, inexpensive restaurants along the strip. And cheap beer. Perissa also has a nice beach.

You'll no doubt find yourselves in the main town of Thira at least once or twice. It's worth a visit at least to explore the cobblestone streets and snap pictures of the houses on the crater rim (and those famous white churches with the blue roofs). As you probably know, Santorini is formed from an old volcano. If you have time, try to make the trip to the town of Oia at the north west side of the island. There you can have a great dinner and see a terrific sunset. I'd suggest taking a cab though if you plan to come back after dark.

Check out http://www.santorini-greece.biz/ if you haven't already.

Cheers,
Mike

Diving in the Med is strictly cave/wreck/rocky landscape stuff. There is no life worth mentioning and water temperatures are only so-so. Check out this site for some Santorini diving pictures.

Even so ...

Some of the best diving is off Aspronisi - the White Island (a tiny uninhabited rock at the south of the caldera). I think www.santorinidiving.com among others goes there. It's a nice ride out in a RIB too.

ArthurGerla:
Diving in the Med is strictly cave/wreck/rocky landscape stuff. There is no life worth mentioning and water temperatures are only so-so. Check out this site for some Santorini diving pictures.

Even so ...

Hi AurtherGerla, sorry to have to diagree with you there m8 it doesn't always have to be whalesharks and as far as the Med (Greece) is concerned there is an abundance of U/W life in the macro area............just need to keep your eyes open. Water temperatures in August, Sept, OCt and Nov are high enough to allow the diver the use of a 5mm suit or shorty ! If you were disappointed about the life try Crete (South Coast). With the lifting of the dive restrictions it will be an adventure to dive an unknown site. Wrecks are there and are being searched for, I am hunting for a German Sub that went down of the south - west of Crete myself..........All in all not a boring place to dive. Of course its not possible to compare the Med with maldives or caribbean but every dive has something to offer..........

My feet start itching to travel, and my bubble-loading is back to normal ...

So, have things developed any more since this was last posted?

I lived on Santorini for a while and would like to know if the diving rules are causing changes?

Im heading to Santorini for the summer, before heading back to Thailand.

I could obviously get bar/restaurant work, but the idea of gin clear water is kind of appealing ... even if it doesnt have those pesky little fish getting in the way.

I nearly made it Crete last year ... lmao ... I got as far as Switzerland!

Then fell in love, and now its time to scratch my itchy feet!

Back
Top Bottom