Need advice on wrist dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnixSage:
I had one hangup with the Sunnto's (at least the Cobra). If you dove on air you had to wait till the computer cleared to switch to nitrox mode. There is an easy way around that switch to nitrox mode and set it to 21% for the first dive. Just a nusance that irratated me to no end. I do not know if this was a cobra only thing or more of them exibit the same behavior.

With the Vyper I just leave it in Nitrox mode. It defaults back to 21% (air) between dives anyhow. No issue here.

Fun Diver:
With the Vyper I just leave it in Nitrox mode. It defaults back to 21% (air) between dives anyhow. No issue here.

Defaults to 21% ? Would rather have a computer that defaults to 50% for safety reasons.

I guess Suunto thinks it's more likely you'd go back to air and exceed your NDLs than that you would go to a richer mix and exceed your MOD.

I have the Stinger and it's very easy to use, but not the greatest computer if you have old eyes, because some of the information you really want -- eg. dive time -- is put in the smallest numbers. If all you want is your remaining NDL time, though, you're golden.

Fun Diver:
That is sort of the way the duo works... If it was at 21% it will stay there forever, if any mix (there are 2) are above 21% it drops it to default mode at midnight (unless in dive mode) which is 99%02 and 79%N2 so if the primary mix is in default the computer will make a clatter at 20ft when you exceede pp02 of 1.6.. But at no time am I ever locked into AIR mode. The viper makes more sence to me.. Glad it is only a few that do the "Cobra Mode".

I don't see a problem with setting a Suunto to Nitrox/21% Perhaps annoying if you don't know this the first time and get stuck in air mode when you don't want to be, but I can understand why they would design it this way. But a Vyper or Gekko stays in Nitrox mode once you've put it there and only goes back to 21% after quite awhile or after it's cleared, not just between any 2 dives.

I do sort of wish it would stay at whatever percentage it's set at permanently, but defaulting to 21% after it's cleared probably safest for the reason TS&M mentions. NDL is much more likely to be an issue than accumulated O2 exposure. Defaulting to 50% is definitely not safe! As far as max depth for the mix, it's nice that the computer tells you but it's something you should be well aware of and not need the computer to warn you about when you get there!

alam555:
am now going to buy my very first dive computer :wink:
The Vyper (Suunto) is great--everything but air pressure and gas switching; big readable display; easy menuing; and no incessant beeping as with some other makes I could mention. The vyper was my first computer, a few years ago. I took it with me this month on a Mediterranean cruise and used it when diving in Crete and when free-diving elsewhere.

I wear it on my wrist, not in a console. If you're serious about checking your depth and time, you'll wear your computer on your wrist and make it ten times as easy to do. The new bungee mount from Deep Sea Supply is terrific--makes the whole unit much more compact and so much easier to get on and off. See it here.

Oh, and in all but the warmest climes you'll find the display hard to read when out of the water because of condensation behind the plastic face protector. Pop that out and put some 3M Tiger film over the glass to protect it from scratches. I got lots of the film free as scraps from a local auto detailer. This also vastly improves the display's readability in dark and silty conditions.

Best regards,
Bryan

Back
Top Bottom