Need advice on wrist dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Offshore:
The Gekko seems like a great computer, except that it also doesn't have gas switching or deep stops; do you use it for any deco dives, or is it the kind of computer that one would have to upgrade past once avancing beyond single-tank single-safety stop diving?

It does have an automatic Deco mode. I haven't used it yet. I will give it a try on the Outer Banks in July and let you know how it goes. It does not have gas switching but does have a continuous multiple depth (range of depths) decompression mode with hard ceilings and floors. It will step you through multiple ceilings and floors if you need to do a multiple stop decompression profile.

If you are planning on doing serious multi-gas decompression dives then I would go with a more advanced (and expensive) computer. If I get into tech diving then I will have to buy a better computer such as a Conchran or I believe Dive Rite makes one as well.

I will be diving Nitrox 100's and 120's with a single gas mixture and the Gekko should handle most of the profiles I plan on diving in the near future. I will have a pony bottle for emergencies but I will have to have the same gas in the pony as in my tank for the computer profile to be accurate. You can reset the Nitrox mixture between dives. I just hope it doesn't go into an annoying continuos audible alarm mode when it hits decompression as I am planning on diving a few simple decompression profiles in July. I think you just get three beeps when it hits deco mode. I know the display starts blinking when you hit Deco mode until you ascend above the deco floor.

You may want to get something like it anyway if you will be mostly diving recreation profiles and get an more advanced computer for the serious multi-gas decompression diving.

AL

Offshore:
The Gekko seems like a great computer, except that it also doesn't have gas switching or deep stops; do you use it for any deco dives, or is it the kind of computer that one would have to upgrade past once avancing beyond single-tank single-safety stop diving?

I think you'll find the majority of divers on the board who do deco dives are using custom tables for that dive and a bottomtimer. Most computers are not really designed for deco diving. There are a few, but the requirements of this type of diving require you to know the plan as well as the computer you might be carrying.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Many/most of the recreational dive computers will keep track of deco time for you, and if they are RGBM computers they also have deep stops built in, but they are not intended for intentional deco, more so for accidentally aquired deco. And if you are regularly getting accidental deco... you're not planning dives well enough to be ready for planned deco ... my opinion...

I really like my Tusa IQ-700. It has all the features you mentioned, a user changeable battery, and a large display (plus it's available for wrist or console mount). It can be found fairly cheap online or if you're in good with your dive shop... you may be able to pick one of for less than $300 new.

The Nitek Duo is a great computer. TUSA actually makes a computer that looks EXACTLY like it, with the same funcitons. The Nitek is about $400 retail, while the TUSA is $300.

Mike Rushton

Hello everyone, Just an FYI, we are launching the new Mares M2 wrist computer to dive stores on June 15th, 2006. This computer does everything the OP is requesting as well as staying way within budget.
  • air, nitrox 21% - 50%, and gauge mode
  • 5 PPO2 settings 1.2 - 1.6
  • user replaceable AAA batteries
  • battery compartment is seperate from electronics
  • permanent or temporary backlight
  • 4 altitude settings
  • RGBM algorithm including recommended deep stops
  • quartz mineral face plate
  • easy two button operation, (buttons are redesigned and easier to press)
  • manually or automatically pressure activated
  • 50 logged dives
  • full calendar and clock function
  • MSRP $300

Anyway we are excited to introduce this new computer at a very affordable price.

Sincerely,

Back
Top Bottom