Need advice on wrist dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boy, these posts make it clear that some Nitrox computers can be a big hassle and that they can easily violate your wishes and set themselves into the wrong mode. I sure would hate to have a computer enrage me on what should be a fun experience. I'd rather be focused on the delightful sights and experiences.

I was thinking of getting a nitrox computer but now it looks like I should get an air computer.

The dive boats want you back on in an hour or right after all the other divers exit the water. The other divers are using air so having nitrox has little benefit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I notice that the divers on the rig trips who are using nitrox tanks just have air in them anyway.

Don't forget about Cochran. Might bust your $500 limit, but a fine UPGRADEABLE computer with easily replacable batteries.

MikeSSS:
I was thinking of getting a nitrox computer but now it looks like I should get an air computer.

They are not a problem untill you add the complexcity of diving nitrox. They will stay in "air mode" untill the diver changes it to Nitrox. So they can be a bit quarky in that respect. Unless you NEVER plan on doing Nitrox probably better to get one that has it. All this stuff that you have been reading is about default modes is after the diver sets to a gas other than air.

boomo26:
I love my Atmos 2. It has everything you are asking for and then some, and a great price.

I came close to getting one of them, do you find that it is a bit big when on your wrist?

Somethin-Fishey:
Don't forget about Cochran. Might bust your $500 limit, but a fine UPGRADEABLE computer with easily replacable batteries.

They looked cool.. How do you like it? Never saw one "out in the wild".

UnixSage:
I came close to getting one of them, do you find that it is a bit big when on your wrist?

No, gives you a lot if info on one screen, I do have a problem keeping it right side up on my wrist, I am thinking about hooking to my BCD.

Boomo

I bought 2 Atmos II's - one for me and one for my son. I just used them for the first time last week and they worked great. they cost about $280 and do all that's on your list.

Diveral:
Lots of good computers out there. Uwatec, Aeris, Mares, Oceanic, Nitek, and Suunto all make good computers in your price range. What size computer are you looking for. I recently bought a Suunto Gekko has everything but a backlight. A Suunto Vytec or Vyper may suit your needs. By the way I night dive with my Gekko. You charge it up and it glows in the dark. I find it more convenient for night dives since I don't have to punch a button to see it.

The Gekko seems like a great computer, except that it also doesn't have gas switching or deep stops; do you use it for any deco dives, or is it the kind of computer that one would have to upgrade past once avancing beyond single-tank single-safety stop diving?

Did someone ask where to buy? Could try Leisure Pro, no manufacturer warranty but the store will back for same coverage. Usually good prices on Suunto. Stinger price $525 US.

I like my Cyber Aqualand NX when I am diving Nitrox or Air and in warm (60 degree plus) water. My biggest complaint is that the wrist strap is too small to fit around my 7mm semi-dry (I need to fold the sleeve up so I get double thickness on the wrists) so in cold (59 degrees and down) I use my Cochran Commander as the wrist computer and strap the NX to my BCD or BCD Inflator hose.

I got the Cochran for less than 200 on Ebay and the NX for 350 on ebay, new-in-the-box and was able to register it for the full warentee.

I wear the NX as a sport watch as well, though it is a bit large to wear all the time.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom