Need advice on wrist dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish:
I don't see a problem with setting a Suunto to Nitrox/21% Perhaps annoying if you don't know this the first time and get stuck in air mode when you don't want to be, but I can understand why they would design it this way. But a Vyper or Gekko stays in Nitrox mode once you've put it there and only goes back to 21% after quite awhile or after it's cleared, not just between any 2 dives.
Yup that was my point, just an annoyance. It bit a pair of divers I was on a boat with (matching Cobras) which it reminded me of it.

Damselfish:
I do sort of wish it would stay at whatever percentage it's set at permanently, but defaulting to 21% after it's cleared probably safest for the reason TS&M mentions. NDL is much more likely to be an issue than accumulated O2 exposure. Defaulting to 50% is definitely not safe! As far as max depth for the mix, it's nice that the computer tells you but it's something you should be well aware of and not need the computer to warn you about when you get there!
The high percentage is more for ppo2 warning. At %50 it will start complaining at 60'. Which I could see that sometimes you may not get there.

When my duo goes into default mode it take a true worse case senero it calculates N2 at %79 (Normal air NDL) and assumes O2 is at 99% so if my primary mix is in default at 99% it will start complaining at 1.4PPO which it 14'. Which is another reason I liked the way it handled it. It does not have a nitrox mode per say. It just deals with percentages, when you take it above 21 it will reset it at midnight into default. If I leave it at 21% it will stay there for ever.

I am not being critical of the Suunto line. I like them and if my LDS carried it there is a chance I might even own one. Just pointing out the few things that I discovered when I used one. Certainly not show stoppers and once I was used to it it was second nature to set it up correctly.

RICHinNC:
Make sure you can replace the battery yourself.

This cannot be over-emphasized! I learned the hard way...

Who has the best prices on the suunto computers?? Scuba Toys does not carry them I beleive

I just bought an Aqualand NX from a buddy. My first comp, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it seems really nice for rec diving.

--Eddie

While I'm usually in a minority on the following opinion... I really like my Mares M1 - user replaceable AAA batteries - constant on light option is great for night dives. Air/Nitrox/Gauge modes. I had mine flood a couple of weeks ago at 95fsw, turns out the o-ring was missing. I replaced the oring, put new batteries in and it was fine - I really like the "floodable" battery compartment!

Most of the issues people have with it is the download software IRIS - I agree it is "buggy" software, but I've been running it with 2 M-1's for 18 months now and 150 dives - I'm still very pleased with it.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. it's also one of the least expensive computers out there - $239

So I am debating between Oceanic Veo 100 / Suunto Stinger or Mares M1 RGBM computer. The Mosquito has too many posts about issues, so I am going to pass. Not taking any chances.

Any experience with Mares M1?
Can it be integrated with Air?

the only wrist mounted air integrated computers have a transmitter. They are "cool" gadgets and seem to run $600+ - The Mares does not. It will however function in air,nitrox or gauge mode.

camshaft:
This cannot be over-emphasized! I learned the hard way...

Not such a big problem. I get over 500 dives out of my Stinger before the battery warning comes on, then it goes away for a week, gets a new battery and a pressure test and all is good again.

Back
Top Bottom