need help because i use too much before everybody else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Get yourself and your rig properly weighted. That's another topic that you can do research on.
2. Learn how to establish neutral buoyancy (No. 1 really helps) - this will help with flapping your arms like a chicken trying to fly as well.
3. Trim out properly (that means you swim horizontally instead of with feet down or head down swims) - hydrodynamics work just like aerodynamics.
4. Learn to how properly kick with your type of fins - this saves on wasted motion and energy.
5. Regulate your breathing - slow in, slow out.
6. Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.

Most new divers (or those who never cared to fine hone their skills) have to swim a lot and waste a lot of energy and air in order to stay afloat. It's hard to move slowly if you keep sinking or floating up uncontrollably. Get your weighting, get your neutral buoyancy, get your trim done and you will find that it isn't hard to move slowly and methodically underwater.

BTW, you need to check yourself. This will sound harsh but if you were to run out of air at depth then something is seriously wrong with your dive plan. If you have no idea on how to calculate for air consumption rate then you need to learn how via do some search on Scubaboard (gas management had been covered a multitude of times and a quick search will pop it up) or get an air integrated dive computer that will calculate your air remaining time for you.

Also, why weren't you monitoring your air so that you wouldn't run out? Just because others can stay down longer, it doesn't mean that you can or should. You should have let your buddy/Divemaster know and returned to the surface way before you had to use somebody else's air. This is really, really, really, really bad. The next time, your dive buddy might not have enough air to share with you. DO NOT RELY ON OTHERS to check yourself. YOU CHECK YOURSELF.

I used to have the same problem, when i didn't concentrate i went through my air.
An instructor in thialand told me to count to 4 when breathing in and count to 10 when breathing out. The in was no problem but out it would normally take 5 or 6, after practicing got it to 7 to 8, now i can do 10 without thinking about it.
I also found that i needed a reg with a bit of resistance when breathing out.

:cheers:

This is how I learned how to slow down my breathing, but first you need to make sure you are properly weighted and start thinking about your trim. Are you swimming in a vertical position? If so, that take a lot more effort and breathing. Once your weighting and trim is correct, start counting on every breath. It will make you more aware of your breathing patterns.

Carrie

I personally believe that the most important factor is experience. Once you feel very comfortable diving your SAC rate will decrease greatly. Stay in shape helps a lot also. I use a 5 second inhale and a 5 second exhale, clears CO2 really well and doesn't use much air. Keep an eye on your gas. You shouldn't ever have to use a buddy's air unless there is a major problem. Watch your spg and be safe. Always dive within your limits.

Thanks everyone for your honesty. Being a new diver i still have a lot to learn. Your right i shouldn't be pushing the limits yet. We dove with a different dive group then our usual this weekend. I guess i wasn't aware how much the other dive master watched over me. I also realized im way over weighted. cause on the safety stop i have to constantly kick to maintain the safety stop so im sucking up air.

Thanks everyone for your honesty. Being a new diver i still have a lot to learn. Your right i shouldn't be pushing the limits yet. We dove with a different dive group then our usual this weekend. I guess i wasn't aware how much the other dive master watched over me. I also realized im way over weighted. cause on the safety stop i have to constantly kick to maintain the safety stop so im sucking up air.

You are definately overweighted. You mentioned the other dive master. I assume you are diving with maybe a dive club from your LDS? If so, ask the dive master to work with you to find your correct weighting.

Carrie

Aloha Scuba Mom,

Was that a training exercise when you were using someone else's air? If not, then you had an emergency situation, and you should be scared enough to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Running out of air below 100' is dangerous!

Stay safe and have many happy dives!

...John

Does anybody have any suggestions about how to not go through so much air before everybody else?:(

Good advice given above, so I won't repeat most of it, other than to say SLOW DOWN. The truism is "If you swim LESS, you'll be able to dive MORE." Go slow. Then slow down some more. Then realize you're STILL going too fast!

But the REALLY good news is that women tend to use less air than men, so once you get more comfortable in the water and get your weighting/trim/propulsion sorted out YOU will be the one that everone else is trying to emulate from an air consumption standpoint!

:eyebrow:

Your situation is no different than 99% of all new divers. Above, you have been given all the right text book answers on how to improve you air consumption and as you put them into practice you should begin to quickly.

However, let me add this; You need to dive with someone who will teach you, be patient, motivate but not take you beyond the limits of your training and experience.

Once you have found this mentor, your diving experience will improve dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom