Need recommendation of Mask & Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quarry_mermaid:
I love the Mares X-vision masks, but I have now owned TWO of them (not a good thing!) Both of the fell apart without any impact at all, in the exact same place. Two pieces of plastic snap together to form the frame and, in both cases, one of the "snaps/clips" just broke apart, resulting in the frame coming apart with uncontrollable flooding (with zero warning!). After the first time (mask lasted approx. 6 months), I assumed that I had done something to the mask without realizing (or maybe a student had dropped something on it without my knowledge). I bought another one and the same thing happened after three months. I will not buy another, despite the comfort of the mask and it rarely leaked (until it fell apart).

I have a rather small face as well and I'm currently using the new ScubaPro Premier mask which has a similar shape as the X-Vision. We'll see if it holds up. I also use the Tusa Serene. It's the smaller cousin to the Visualator, which I wear for underwater modeling. The Visualator is HUGE and will probably not fit a very small face well. It takes up my entire face, but looks nice in a photo/video (pain in the butt for me to flood/clear though). The Serene is the same shape as the Visualator, just scaled down in size. I have encountered no leaking from the Serene.

Another reply mentioned that the Cressi Big Eyes is known for leaks. My husband has been diving that mask for 3 years and will not part with it. It certainly lasted longer than my two X-Vision masks.

I dive with ScubaPro TwinJets. I own both the full-foot and adjustable versions and anyone who has ever tried my fins, has switched to them. I know they didn't do as well in the ScubaLab tests as some others, but I will never dive with anything else (I have a garage full of cast-off fins!)

Yeap, thanks. I had seen the Tusa Serene online and it looks very nice. Will go down to try if it fits tis weekend i guess. And i had read some other threads, seems that ScubaPro Twinjets is a good choice. Will see if it fits as well. Jus hope that it doesnt burn a hole in my wallet. :wink:

Thanks & Cheers :coffee:

A mask is a very person item, in the sense that it is a very individual fit. So it's hard to just recommend a brand or style, you have to fit it for yourself and your face shape.

Some people try to 'fit' a mask by shoving it against their face, and it if can stay in place by the suction alone they call it a good fit. This isn't true, as I've seen people put a mask on upside down and do this successfully.

Here's a better way to fit it.

Move the strap so it is in front of the lens. Then, while looking up, gently place the mask on your face and make sure your hair is not in the way. Working in 'hands free' mode just slowly inhale through your nose. The key word here is slowly. Even if there are small leaks around your face a quick inhale can remove more air than those leaks can let in. The point is to go slowly.

If the mask fits, the slow inhale will 'draw it into' your face, and you will be able to then bring your face down and look forward while holding the vacuum (don't exhale again through your nose).

With a poorly fitting mask I can look up and 'nose breath' normally as long as I do it slowly. A well fitting mask will clamp down and prevent any further inhale.

Note that this is all hands free. It is easy to clamp a poorly fitting mask to your face and hold the suction while removing your hand. Starting out hands free will really determine if the mask fits.

Good luck.

I personally like Aeris Velocity fins and the Dive Rite Frameless mask. The mask never leaks and is easy to clear, and the fins are a good compromise between efficiency and control.

Bugsmasher is on the right track. Think about it, it is possible to buy a good quality frameless mask and one of the top rated fins (faster and lighter than splitjet) for a total of $60-70. Fins of choice would be Aeris Velocity or Mako, Oceanic Caribe X or Vector. The fins travel well, weigh practically nothing and have been shown by Scubalab and Dr Jim Grier to be outstanding, among the fastest ever tested. Almost any frameless mask will fit anybody without leaking and they are very cheap. The Promate Swift is very nice:
http://cgi.ebay.com/FRAMELESS-Scuba...ryZ71161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The same mask branded "Cozumel" for much less, on EBay.
Have a look at the Caribe X
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OCNFCRX.html
or the Vector:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OCNF...l&AdvSrchSortField=Relevance&SortDesc=0&Hit=1

I'm a new OW diver and the Aeris Velocity fins have been quite good for me, too. I got a Dacor Phaz 4 mask that I'm not thrilled with, though: it was part of the "basic package" I bought online. The mask fits ok, and I thought the 4 widows would improve visibility underwater, but the distortion from the "corners" is yucky.

The fins, though, are great. I have a buddy who's been diving for years and commented "well, at least you have fins that don't totally suck", but I think he's just being a fin snob.

Back
Top Bottom