New BP/W worked great but one issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
Unless you at the extremes, i.e. very slender, low body fat, or quite over weight your own body weight is not a major player.

The exposure suit buoyancy, and the buoyancy characteristics of the tank used has a much larger effect on required ballast.

Where body weight is useful is when calculating the weight required to move from fresh to salt, as if provides a means of estimating the volume of water displaced.

Tobin

Thanks for the reply Tobin. I was just trying to gauge whether the OP was built similar to me or not...lol. I guess body fat % shoudl've also been asked then. I've actually been reading A LOT about BP/W setups and have learned a lot from your posts, so thanks for sharing knowledge.

Victor

I have the same "problem" with my DSS 4LB SS BP. I am overweighted in the summer! Thinking of going to an aluminum plate to help offset the negative bouyancy.

vel525:
if you don't mind me asking how tall and how much do you weigh? i only ask because i am about to purchase a BP/W and am deciding between a SS or AL plate. Most of my diving requires travel so AL would be great, but honestly, carrying a few more lb if i pick SS will not be a big deal. I guess my concern is that a SS plus AL80 (what i normally use) mightl be too much weight when i'm in a 3mm.

I'm 5'9 and about 170lbs right now. Also around 15-17% body fat depending on the method you use to measure. My guess is that with a full 3mm I would be close to neutral at the surface.

kawasakign:
I'm 5'9 and about 170lbs right now. Also around 15-17% body fat depending on the method you use to measure. My guess is that with a full 3mm I would be close to neutral at the surface.

Unless you are 3-4 lbs negative in just a pair of swim trunks I doubt you would be neutral after donning a full 3mm suit.

Can you float in fresh water in just a swim suit?

For most people, when they add a buoyant tank (al80) and a full 3mm wetsuit they will be 6-10 lbs positive.

A 6 lbs SS backplate and harness and a 2 lbs regulator is often all they need to get neutral.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom