New diver going to Florida, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ces

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to Miami for the weekend and I'm wondering if I need to get a wetsuit. (not renting), and if so what thickness?

I was told 3ml. but do I really need one?

This is my first trip post OW cert.

Thanks in advance

Depends on how easily you get cold...personally, I would use a 1ml or a skin. You need something to keep the critters off of you, but not necessarily for warmth...

I use just a skin most of the time down here and I usually dive wrecks 80-100ft. Sometimes I wear a shorty with my skin but that is it. You really don't need much.

I prefer a three mil full in Florida in the summer so as you see the answer is very individual.

You have two factors really to mainly consider. One is cold and the other is protection. Only several more dives will answer this question for you. Once you do it then you will know what you want and need in the future. Write all this down in your log book. One more factor is how many dives you will be doing. The more you do over the course of your trip, the more your core temp will drop and the colder you will get.

IMHO, more is better, I suggest starting with a three mil full. Just rent a few things like a shorty one day and a full the next and go from there. Ask the dive shop if they have a rent to own program.

Have fun!

I use just a skin most of the time down here and I usually dive wrecks 80-100ft. Sometimes I wear a shorty with my skin but that is it. You really don't need much.

agree.......dove the Flower Gardens end of last week..water temp around 85-86......Wore my skins with a 2 mm shortie over it on the 1st dive....lol, the next 6 dives were with skins only....I would think a wetsuit is not needed for August........

I'd second the 3 mil as well. You will have good protection from the critters so that will be less of a worry. Personally, I see a lot of divers with just swim trunks/bathing suits and while that might suit them I simply prefer full body protection since we never know what might show up on a dive site. With a 3 mil you should be very comfortable on all of your dives, esp if you are planning 2, 3, or more dives a day. I have never felt hot or overheated in a 3 mil while in the water... during a surface interval on a sunny day... guaranteed!

You didn't say if you were planning any night dives, but you will definitely notice a positive difference wearing a 3 mil once the sun goes down...

Id say a 5. I froze in the keys in a 3mm full suit in the month of July doing 3 dives a day.

Assuming you have never dove without a wetsuit than you might want to wear a 2/3mm or shorty. I think for a newer diver the wetsuit may offer comfort as well as warmth. With that being said I am a Florida native that gets cold pretty easy and I have been diving shorts with a 1mm top for the last few weeks. I tried my 3mm full a couple weeks ago and I was constantly flushing the suit to cool off. I love the feeling of no suit but wear a top for protection while lobstering.
Good Luck and dive safe.

Oh yeah, I think a 5mm in August would be crazy. You would probably get heat stroke on the boat.

Heat stroke on the boat easily solved by not zipping it up until kitting up. Or even just wet the thing first.

I would also like to add, that a purchase of a wet suit is a investment. What type of diving do you plan on doing in the furture. Where will you get the most use of the wet suit your buying. Protection is key against cold and sea life. Nothing worse than having a shorty on and going thru a school of jellies, been there done that. I would say a 3 mil full to start, you can always put a shorty over that for more insulation over your core in cooler waters. Something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom