New set -up as I hit the Big 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred, For every gear option there are people who will like it and those that don’t. I like simple, no fuss gear. I use a Apeks WTX Harness, DiveRite Venture wing, ScubaPro MK17 with S555 secondary. My octo is an XSscuba quick release and my computer is a ProPlus 2. Whites Drysuit and Omega or Cressi fins. Cheap mask that does not leak. To me, get the gear you are comfortable with, after all your last kit lasted you 20 years, chances are this next setup will too. Get your gear with who will service it in mind.

As for the integrated octo, do you regularly dive with the same buddy? If so, practice OOA for a few dives then just once and a while, it should be no issue. If however, you dive with boat or instant buddies, make sure you go over what regulator you will donate and make a mental note of their octo location. In an emergency, sure they may grab something but as soon as they get air, they will (usually) calm down and you can take your time sorting out what gear who is going up with.

I too would pass on the wireless pressure gauge. The information is just too important to trust it to a wireless solution.

The Air2 is more appropriate for instructors who work with new students in relatively shallow environments. You cannot reasonably expect an Air2 to work very well at post-certification depths of 75 to 100 ft. It is a piece of crap.

Hi again Neras, Air 2 is Scuba Pro's integrated Octo/Inflator so there are no issues using this at depth.

Scubapro Re-Styled Air 2, Combination Octopus/Inflator Regulator, Black/Gray from LeisurePro.com

Here's Atomics version called the Safe Second:

Atomic Safe Second Inflator (SS1), Stainless steel from LeisurePro.com

Donate your primary reg and breathe off your Integrated Octo/Inflator.

Hi again Neras, I made the same mistake several months back in another post... Air 2 is not a Spare Air. Air 2 is Scuba Pro's integrated Octo/Inflator

Scubapro Re-Styled Air 2, Combination Octopus/Inflator Regulator, Black/Gray from LeisurePro.com

Here's Atomics version called the Safe Second:

Atomic Safe Second Inflator (SS1), Stainless steel from LeisurePro.com

Donate your primary reg and breathe off your Integrated Octo/Inflator.

I know exactly what Air2 is. It is a stupid idea that looks like a B/C oral inflator, but with more beef.

These perform poorly as you go deeper. They are not well designed, and perform only nominally at shallow depths.

These perform poorly as you go deeper. They are not well designed, and perform only nominally at shallow depths.

Really? So what?
In the extremely rare occasion that I’m diving with someone who went OOA, and ended up sharing air with someone (donated my primary), would I really care if it performed perfectly? No. As long as it delivers air, it will suffice while we make our way to the stop then surface. Even if we were at 130’ if would not be long before I’m in shallow water anyway. It is not really any concern, just another red herring argument.

I think your selection of gear is solid, if it matches your diving style. I have creative differences, but that is one of the things I like about this activity.

One suggestion though, if you are looking at an AI wireless computer, you might look at the Uwatec Galileo. This unit allows you to put sending units on more than one tank and track pressure on either, if need be. The only caveat is that the backup air source (pony bottle) is viewed as a stage bottle, so you can't dive a 32 mix & tell the computer that the backup is 21%. It assumes you will be using a richer (or the same) mix for off-gassing.

I would certainly keep a back up computer in a pocket & keep an SPG with hose in my "save a dive" kit. I have a buddy that dives with the Galileo and before that a D-9 with no hitch in performance. I have dove as a buddy with him (as a guess) 250+ dives.

Really? So what?
In the extremely rare occasion that I’m diving with someone who went OOA, and ended up sharing air with someone (donated my primary), would I really care if it performed perfectly? No. As long as it delivers air, it will suffice while we make our way to the stop then surface. Even if we were at 130’ if would not be long before I’m in shallow water anyway. It is not really any concern, just another red herring argument.

I see the Air2 as another piece of red herring equipment, that looks fine, as long as you don't really need it.

Sort of like a plastic whistle. Or split fins.

I see the Air2 as another piece of red herring equipment, that looks fine, as long as you don't really need it.

That is EXACTLY why I asked if anyone has used these alternative Safe Seconds (i.e. SS1, Air2 or otherwise) in an actual emergent situation. If so, what were your thoughts?

For example, in sea kayaking, one practices different methods of kayak re-entry. But usually these practice sessions are in mild conditions, no real stress and warmer water. I truer example would be a "real world" emergent experience during which one survived and actually used a rescue technique:blinking: successfully.

And, for the record, there are some plastic whistles that are incredibly loud.

Keep the thread going... if only for good luck.

F. Garvin, M.P.

P.S. Does anyone know what the M.P. stands for??? The correct answer kinda dates you.

Well, that explains everything. No answers or facts, just a shot.:shakehead:

That is EXACTLY why I asked if anyone has used these alternative Safe Seconds (i.e. SS1, Air2 or otherwise) in an actual emergent situation. If so, what were your thoughts?

For example, in sea kayaking, one practices different methods of kayak re-entry. But usually these practice sessions are in mild conditions, no real stress and warmer water. I truer example would be a "real world" emergent experience during which one survived and actually used a rescue technique:blinking: successfully.

And, for the record, there are some plastic whistles that are incredibly loud.

Keep the thread going... if only for good luck.

F. Garvin, M.P.

P.S. Does anyone know what the M.P. stands for??? The correct answer kinda dates you.

Fred

For the record posts by Nearas are rarely either helpful or accurate. I'm sure I'm nort the only one who wonders if he is over 15 years of age. I have been diving with an air2 for 15 years and never had a problem. I test breathe it on nearly every dive. I have breathed it at 125 fsw at 45 deg f and it performed fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple things:
1) For the pony go with at least a 13 or 19 cf bottle. The larger tank costs $10-20 more and will be worth it if you ever actually need to use it.
2) Consider a BP+W or at least a back inflate BC. For someone who is used to a more rec bc something like a Zeagle Stiletto might be perfect.
3) Consider getting a non AI computer.
4) If you want an Air2 you will want a 5ft hose on your primary.
That is solid advice. I am looking into a BP/W for my setup as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom