New set -up as I hit the Big 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to disagree about an AI computer being a crutch, or a beginners aid. I have a Suunto Cobra 2 and I love it. The biggest advantage of an AI in my opinion is you have all your information in one place when you look at your "guages". I wear a non AI computer as a backup, and carry the dive tables in my BC pocket, just in case they both crap out. I'm curious though, as to why most of you seem to dislike the spare air. I was considering buying one, and would appreciate your comments on it.

I have to disagree about an AI computer being a crutch, or a beginners aid. I have a Suunto Cobra 2 and I love it. The biggest advantage of an AI in my opinion is you have all your information in one place when you look at your "guages". I wear a non AI computer as a backup, and carry the dive tables in my BC pocket, just in case they both crap out. I'm curious though, as to why most of you seem to dislike the spare air. I was considering buying one, and would appreciate your comments on it.

The polite answer is, It does not provide enough air to be of any use and if you are deep enough, it may even be dangerous.
For more information type this into your Google search box.
“Spare Air” site:scubaboard.com

I have to disagree about an AI computer being a crutch

Ok.

The biggest advantage of an AI in my opinion is you have all your information in one place when you look at your "guages".

And the biggest disadvantage is that if it fails you have NO information.

I'm curious though, as to why most of you seem to dislike the spare air. I was considering buying one, and would appreciate your comments on it.

1. Too small to be really useful.
2. Provides false sense of security
3. Costs more than solutions that really are helpful.

Try Ebay or the classifieds here, you'll find plenty being unloaded by divers who've wised up.

Your SPG can fail too, and you'd still not know exactly how much air you have left. I have about the same number of dives on my computer as my SPG from my old gear. The only failure I had was when my HP hose for my SPG split. So either one can fail for any reason, which is why I have a backup computer on my wrist, and my dive tables in my pocket. You have your opinion and I have mine. I'll stick with my set up as it works for me. Thanks for the info on the spare air.

Yes, my SPG can fail also. When it does my dive is over. And my depth and run time are on my wrist. If my wrist computer fails, I still know how much gas I have in the tank, my buddy calls the depths, and my backup timer has my time. No biggie.

We have different opinions and that's just fine with me. I wish you all the best.

Your SPG can fail too, and you'd still not know exactly how much air you have left. I have about the same number of dives on my computer as my SPG from my old gear. The only failure I had was when my HP hose for my SPG split. So either one can fail for any reason, which is why I have a backup computer on my wrist, and my dive tables in my pocket. You have your opinion and I have mine. I'll stick with my set up as it works for me. Thanks for the info on the spare air.

The Spare Air is a purely emergency device because of its size. At 90 feet for instance you would be lucky to have 2 minutes of air with the large one. That said, it really is portable. I've never had a problem with it and, fortunately, have never had to use it.

Fred, what you have here is the classic Spare Air splatter fest, wrapped up with the Air2, AI wrist computer, and long hose splatter fests, too.

As with so many things, try before you buy. It sounds like you'll be spending at least as much money as a cheap car, and you wouldn't dream of buying that without a test drive, would you?

There are definite compromises with every gear setup, including the ones you are considering. Get those configurations into the pool and try them out - like breathing off an Air2 while managing bouyancy at midwater. Or try out a long hose. At least try them.

I can fill your ear with advice, but it's what's good for me, not you, if you catch my drift.

FWIW, I am completely agnostic in gear configurations. Complete Hogarthian for overhead, standard short hoses for easy no deco recreational, double hose for shooting macro. I've even dove with a stage bottle, twine, a bathing suit, and nothing else, (okay, a mask and fins) and at the time it was the perfect gear setup.

So try it. It might be the right thing. Have fun with it while you shop.

All the best, James

PS - posssibly the cleanest rig I've ever seen was a DSS plate and single wing, a short hose DIN Atomic reg with an Atomic SS1, and a Suunto D9. The gal diving it had hundreds of dives on it without dying. I remember having a knee-jerk reaction when I saw it - OMG! - but after I thought through it, I was admiring it for it's particular advantages.

The idea that octo/inflator combos add streamlining is simply false. It's far more streamlined to have a nice short inflator hose, too short to use as a secondary reg, with a nice normal compact inflator on the end of it. With the octo/inflator you use a longer inflator hose (usually 22") and sitting right on the end of it is a large plastic regulator/inflator. Every time you want to vent via the inflator you have to deal with this thing. Sure, it seems like no big deal, but, remember you use the inflator several times on EVERY dive, and (hopefully) the secondary only occasionally, certainly not on every dive. It's much better IMO to use a dedicated simple inflator on a hose that is the ideal length, for me 12-15". Then just stow the octo wherever it's convenient; either on a necklace (long primary hose) or a 40" hose routed under your right arm and clipped to a chest D-ring.

All of my diving is coastal ocean diving. Two tech divers who I very much respect independently gave me the same advice - If you are considering a 20cf pony bottle, seriously consider a 30cf bottle instead. One of the divers has a standing rule to always dive with his pony bottle slung on any dive greater than 60ft and I have since adopted the same rule.

At depth, the Spare Air is not going to give you much more than a controlled ascent to the surface whereas the pony bottle is going to give you time and peace of mind to ascend safely with plenty of air for a safety stop.

Fred, what you have here is the classic Spare Air splatter fest, wrapped up with the Air2, AI wrist computer, and long hose splatter fests, too.

As with so many things, try before you buy. It sounds like you'll be spending at least as much money as a cheap car, and you wouldn't dream of buying that without a test drive, would you?

There are definite compromises with every gear setup, including the ones you are considering. Get those configurations into the pool and try them out - like breathing off an Air2 while managing bouyancy at midwater. Or try out a long hose. At least try them.

I can fill your ear with advice, but it's what's good for me, not you, if you catch my drift.

FWIW, I am completely agnostic in gear configurations. Complete Hogarthian for overhead, standard short hoses for easy no deco recreational, double hose for shooting macro. I've even dove with a stage bottle, twine, a bathing suit, and nothing else, (okay, a mask and fins) and at the time it was the perfect gear setup.

So try it. It might be the right thing. Have fun with it while you shop.

All the best, James

PS - posssibly the cleanest rig I've ever seen was a DSS plate and single wing, a short hose DIN Atomic reg with an Atomic SS1, and a Suunto D9. The gal diving it had hundreds of dives on it without dying. I remember having a knee-jerk reaction when I saw it - OMG! - but after I thought through it, I was admiring it for it's particular advantages.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it is very difficult to find a shop that would let me try out the entirety of my game plan, or even a series of different regs.

Thanks.

Garv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom