New to Scuba - Need Good Quality/Dependable/Mid-level Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WAY too much money. If you have it and want to throw it away, more power to you. But the package you are talking about it not going to get you the most bang for your buck....not even close. You can get just as good a quality for much much less.

Buying used is a great option.

I like Zeagle Regs and BC's.

A used Zeagle Ranger BC runs $150-250. The Express Tech is also an option at $269 new. I am not a fan of weight belts. There are a bunch of used Rangers on EBay right now.

zeagle | eBay

I see a Flathead reg for under $160 as well which will likely sell for maybe $250. I would buy that in a heartbeat vs. putting out the $500+ for a new one. Service at Scubatoys will run maybe $60. Regs do not wear out. Replace the serviceable parts and you have a new reg except it my not be as new looking.

Here is a closeout deal from Leisurepro on a back inflate BC. At $175 this looks like a fantastic deal on a quality Back inflate BC.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_964/Context_954/Sort_Price/DescSort_0/Page_1/AEREXL.html

The only thing worth buying new is a wetsuit. Used wetsuits can stink, have fungus and do not cost that much to begin with. A new mask is also a good idea but that is because you need to make sure it fits your face.

Divers Direct is also a great place for closeout deals in FL. They often have sidewalk sales where you can pickup last years stuff at about half the cost of non close out.

http://www.diversdirect.com/florida-dive-shops.cfm

Buying new on most items and paying full retail is foolish but that is what most do.

Last edited:
I think I am going to go with this setup:Aqua Lung Dimension i3 BCD (dive shop sells for $595), an Aqua Lung Legend LX regulator (dive shop sells for $680), a Legend Octo (dive shop sells for $220), and a Suunto Zoop dive computer with regular pressure guarge (dive shop sells for $300). All together, I am getting everyting for $1,786 (which is a 10% discount from the usual price for this setup). What are your thoughts? Ok deal and equipment?

No, seems like way too much

Do you have any recommendations for a mid-level (1) BC, (2) Regulator, (3) Octo, (4) tank and (5) dive computer/gauges?
I could spend a little over a grand on all of the equipment.

Thanks!
Yes, you can get an excellent quality package of Scubapro/Subgear to fit your needs & budget.

I just had some students by some Subgear regulators,computer, and a scubapro bc from Beaverdivers at a very reasonable price!!!

---------- Post Merged at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:27 PM ----------

I just had some students by some Subgear regulators,computer, and a scubapro bc from Beaverdivers at a very reasonable price!!!

If I were starting over here is what I would buy. Subgear RG-1000 or Cayman (rebranded Scubapro S600 or S555 plus MK-17), you will not outgrow this. Hog/Edge would be my second choice. I would go with a backplate and wing for a BC. I am a "floater" so getting weight off my belt is great. Currently, Dive Gear Express in Pompano is offering a Hollis 25lb wing for $200. You should be able to pickup a plate, harness and cam straps for an extra $100-$125. I am assuming you already have mark, fins, snorkel. For a wet suit I would recommend a one of the close-outs from Divers Supply for around $60. For tanks I would wait and watch Craigslist or local eBay. Also Diver's Direct sometimes has deals. For a weight belt I would recommend buying a rubber one for $20 or so dollars as it is automatically depth compensating.

Well, it needs to be said that the equipment you have selected is very good stuff. I personally love the dimension i3.
As others have pointed out there are options that will cut your cost by a significant amount. However, if your are comfortable with the cost then this setup is top notch.

I personally chose the Edge Epic over the Legend. For $420 you get equal performance PLUS the octo, braided hose, and swivel. It has a two year service schedule instead of one year. To me it was the better regulator. You can also get an Edge SPG for about $75.

Just a thought

Well, with my current deal I would be getting 10% off of the list price for the reg and the bc and I would be getting 25% off of the computer and the octopus. I really want to buy a high end brand, which I think Aqua Lung is. And, most of the dive shops down here sell and service AL.

Then that is exactly what you should do. You could save money BUT you wouldn't be improving on the gear. AL is great stuff.

Buy it and enjoy! I promise you are going to love the dimension.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom