New to Scuba - Need Good Quality/Dependable/Mid-level Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you need further assistance with how to not personally attack people, you can post a thread in support, or PM a moderator for more details.

Beyond that, this hijack should be over, and let the thread continue.

Thanks, but I'm fine.

Uhmmm, that's a strange response. Yes of course its my opinion.

I didn't think we were taking about cave diving? Cave divers are irrelevant. They make up less than 5% of divers. Who cares what they use.

What is so strange about it? If you read the post carefully you will said cave and TECH. They are the people at the forefront of diving, so what works in a challenging environment should also work on a recreational dive. I suggest you and the OP read some of books by the GUE, the books can explain it much better than a post. Much of what is sold is gimmick gear, my opinion is an I3 is such a gimmick. It only serves to make up for bad technique.

Uhmmm, that's a strange response. Yes of course its my opinion.

I didn't think we were taking about cave diving? Cave divers are irrelevant. They make up less than 5% of divers. Who cares what they use.

What is so strange about it? If you read the post carefully you will said cave and TECH. They are the people at the forefront of diving, so what works in a challenging environment should also work on a recreational dive. I suggest you and the OP read some of books by the GUE, the books can explain it much better than a post. Much of what is sold is gimmick gear, my opinion is an I3 is such a gimmick. It only serves to make up for bad technique.

Ok, we will just agree to disagree. It's a nice feature IMO. I have read much INFO on GUE and looked into some of their courses. None around me in Arkansas.

I was looking at the i3 and it's things like the "valve retention strap" that make me turn away. It's nothing but an entanglement hazard. The bcd is strapped to the tank using cam bands. Why would you need a retainer for the valve? It ain't going anywhere!

Oh and the pocket within a pocket gimmick. seriously?

I'll withhold judgement on the inflator mechanism.

I was looking at the i3 and it's things like the "valve retention strap" that make me turn away.

Out of curiosity, does anyone make BCDs without valve straps? I've used them on TUSA and ScubaPro. I'm pretty sure I've seen them on Zeagle and Oceanic. They don't really do much except make it easier to hang the BCD against the tank while doing up the tank strap(s) from what I've seen. Obviously my bp/w doesn't have one but it doesn't have a lot of things virtually all BCDs have.

As for the OP... my advice is shop more.

I have a BP/W that cost me about $460, reg set/SPG/"octo" was about $550. I happened to get an air integrated wrist mount computer which set me back $750. All of those prices are tax/shipping/etc included. So my setup ran me just slightly less than your proposed setup.

Honestly you would be getting a fancier BCD. Not better quality, higher performance, or more dependable, but more features. You decide whether that matters. Regulators...I like having two identical second stages and all that so I think we are at least on par as far as the regs go. I went gimmicky on the computer and frankly it is really nice, but...I also have a HP100 air cylinder that set me back another $400 (new, tax in) - if I had to make such decisions I would've cut back on the computer to afford the tank. Then again I anticipate a lot of shore and private boat diving.

I suspect you could get performance indistinguishable from what your $1786 kit will get you, for about $1200, with a bit more shopping and less brand buy-in. Does that matter to you? I can see both sides of that.

So how do you orally inflate the i3? How do you disconnect the inflator if it sticks?

I really am a less is more guy. That's why I love my bpw.

So how do you orally inflate the i3? How do you disconnect the inflator if it sticks?

1) Blow into the oral inflator.

2) Looking at the picture, the low pressure hose conector is right next to the lever, which is on the left side of the BCD. Should be easy to disconnect if something sticks. Arguably easier than a normal inflator since it is always in the same place.

I'll withhold judgement on the inflator mechanism.

Mares had something similar called "air trim". Looking at their website it seems they abandoned the concept.

I was only looking at a picture and couldn't see where the oral inflator was. PArt of why I said I'd reserve judgement.

I remember Mares had a "Hub" concept also which included some pneumatic pressure clamps for the tank straps if I recall correctly.

I just remember thinking: Really?

I am 6' 1".

How baout the AL Legend LX?

Sorry out diving. Legend LX is a great regulator but you ask for medium range regulator with good performance.
You will need to add weight and how fit you are for what you are thinking but for recreational dives I see no problem with the Titan LX. And if you want to splurge on yourself good for you.

That is your opinion, how many cave/tech divers use Aqualung equipment or dive a dimension BC?

---------- Post Merged at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:15 PM ----------

The Subgear that I recommended is the same as Scubapro just their "value line". The new 1000 model is a S600 with a MK-17, the older Cayman is a S555 with a Mk-17, both are excellent regulators. I am sure Beaverdivers or Leisurepro could get him a better deal then what he is paying locally. Not to mention if he buys in Dade he is paying 7% sales tax (6% in Broward).

Halcyon is top of the line but Oxycheq, DSS, Golem, Hollis, Dive Rite, and Hog are also good brands that can be had for under $500.

---------- Post Merged at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Why do you feel you need a high-end brand and why do you feel Aqualung is a high-end brand? You should not accept what people say without an explanation without knowing their reasoning.

The OP did mention anything about cave or tech diving and he need a lot more dives before he can start. I have seen two cave diver use Aqualung equipment for cave diving. Aqualung is a high-end quality brand don't let the green eye monster get you.

No they are not it's Military, Commercial and salvage divers who are at the forefront of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom