New to Scuba - Need Good Quality/Dependable/Mid-level Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the deal you have been quoted is any thing to write home to mom about.

Your subject said you want mid level but good quality and now you say you want high end. ??

If you want high end go with Scubapro for regs and Halcyon for bp/w.

Then that is exactly what you should do. You could save money BUT you wouldn't be improving on the gear. AL is great stuff.

Buy it and enjoy! I promise you are going to love the dimension.

That is your opinion, how many cave/tech divers use Aqualung equipment or dive a dimension BC?

---------- Post Merged at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Your subject said you want mid level but good quality and now you say you want high end. ??

If you want high end go with Scubapro for regs and Halcyon for bp/w.

The Subgear that I recommended is the same as Scubapro just their "value line". The new 1000 model is a S600 with a MK-17, the older Cayman is a S555 with a Mk-17, both are excellent regulators. I am sure Beaverdivers or Leisurepro could get him a better deal then what he is paying locally. Not to mention if he buys in Dade he is paying 7% sales tax (6% in Broward).

Halcyon is top of the line but Oxycheq, DSS, Golem, Hollis, Dive Rite, and Hog are also good brands that can be had for under $500.

---------- Post Merged at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:15 PM ----------

I really want to buy a high end brand, which I think Aqua Lung is. And, most of the dive shops down here sell and service AL.

Why do you feel you need a high-end brand and why do you feel Aqualung is a high-end brand? You should not accept what people say without an explanation without knowing their reasoning.

I know the difference between Subgear and Scubapro. But hey, if he's totally convinced that he want's "high end" now then fine, spend his money, I don't care.

I look for high quality equipment that meets my needs and comes from a company with great customer service policies. I don't pay premium prices for equipment because it has a Blue H or S on it. But hey, if that's how he rolls, then by all means get a top of the line MK25/A700 and Halcyon BP/W setup. It's better to get screwed on price then it is to get screwed on quality.

Just every once in awhile an opportunity comes by that doesn't screw you on either. You just have to open your eyes enough to see it.

Then that is exactly what you should do. You could save money BUT you wouldn't be improving on the gear. AL is great stuff.

Buy it and enjoy! I promise you are going to love the dimension.

That is your opinion, how many cave/tech divers use Aqualung equipment or dive a dimension BC?

Uhmmm, that's a strange response. Yes of course its my opinion.

I didn't think we were taking about cave diving? Cave divers are irrelevant. They make up less than 5% of divers. Who cares what they use.

Uhmmm, that's a strange response. Yes of course its my opinion.

I didn't think we were taking about cave diving? Cave divers are irrelevant. They make up less than 5% of divers. Who cares what they use.

To a certain extent, I do. The concept is those guys (cave and tech) have thought really hard about what works really well in extreme environments. Frequently, if it's a good choice for cave it's a good choice for open water. I use that knowledge to guide my gear selection so that I won't have to sell it when I want to move on to move on to more challenging diving.

I didn't always think this way. I use to have a Seaquest BCD and Twin Jet fins and what not. I gave that all away when I retired. Now that I'm back into diving I was able to get all new gear that was better then what I had and spend less in the process. And when I decide to take an Intro To Tech or Cavern class I'll only have to buy more stuff not different stuff.

I like the DSS BP/wing better than Halycyon. I tried one of each before buying and DSS is a sweet rig. Just got mine, in fact!
Bp/w is such a nice way to go, streamlined, modular, easy to travel with if you get the lighter BP, if you decide to to tech, you just change wings to accomodate doubles and your're still using your familiar harness and BP.

In theory yes it works that way:wink:. Reality though is that once you head towards the dark side money becomes like water. It flows. Gradually or rapidly. But it is never stagnant.

I thought the same way when I bought my first DSS rig and got a doubles wing to go with it so I could do just that. Three weeks later I was ordering another plate and harness. I now have 4 plates and 5 wings. 2 DSS plates and 2 HOG Plates and 5 HOG wings.

But they are all set up for the most part indentically. As is my Express Tech. The only real difference is the custom billy rings I have on the left side of my primary doubles and single tank harnesses. Otherwise there is no "adjusting" when switching between 5 rigs. Put it on and go. No matter what exposure protection or tank I'm using.

My entire philosophy on gear has evolved over the years. I started out in a Jacket BC that was expensive, worked well, very rugged, and great at the time. Until I wanted to do some different types of dives. Then it became a hindrance. It could not handle doubles or even a pony/stage bottle the way I wanted to carry it. It could not accomodate a can light. Long hose was out as well. And compared to the F16 fighter jet feeling of diving a BPW it was a B52. Got the job done but was big, slow, and cumbersome. It also many times had to be shipped to where I was going on vacation because of it's bulk and the other luggage I was having to deal with. Two times to the Keys and all that entailed. In contrast to a trip to Bonaire with the BPW and everything I needed for diving there fit in a roller backpack that went in the overhead. Including a 3 mil suit.

When teaching about gear selection and configuration, from open water recreational to entry level tech, I use the same guidelines from my book and AOW class. I adapted these from Tom Mount's guidelines in the IANTD publication "The Tao of Survival Underwater" aka "Exploration and Mixed Gas Diving Encyclopedia". While some may consider them tech I do not. They are simply common sense and allow for flexibility by the individual diver. They are the following:

1. Safe and Reliable
  2. Comfortable and Well Fitting
  3. Provide for adequate redundancy without being excessive.
  4. Configured for self sufficiency and self rescue
  5. Simple and Streamlined
  6. All accessories and valves easily reachable
  7. Allows for Buddy Assist and Rescue
  8. Has a Low Drag Profile- Streamlined
  9. Adaptable to the Divers Needs
  10. Adaptable to the Diver’s Objective
  11. All Equipment Identifiable by Touch and Location
  12. Standardized with Fellow Divers Yet Versatile to Meet the Needs of the User
  13. Equipment Placement is balanced and Instinctive
  14. Any Changes have been made Gradually and with Careful Thought
  15. Diver is open to Improvement to his/her Setup
  16. All Cylinders are Properly Labeled with the Gas Mixture, MOD, and the Diver’s Name

As you can see they allow for individual choices but at the same time take into consideration the idea that a diver will evolve and change. They say that it is better to not get locked into a style that does not allow for that. Many jacket BC's are over engineered and more complex than they need to be. They do not allow for real flexibility and change. Many require the diver to try and fit into them. They are not standardized in any real way other than they are jacket style BC's.

For some that's fine. I recommend them for some people. But not for all and certainly not $600 ones. Before dropping that kind of change on a BC I'd expect the shop to let me actually try one on an open water dive and personally show me the benefits of it. And to let me compare it to other styles. It's why students I train get put in jackets, back inflates, and BPW's in the OW class. Most choose the BPW option. Either a hard plate or the soft style like the Express Tech. I have had two choose jackets. And it was expected. Neither will ever do challenging dives. Both in their mid 60's and just don't even care to get AOW since they will never dive below 60 feet. For them a jacket was the right choice.

I got a great, affordable and dependable set of Scubapro/Subgear equipment from Beaver Divers. They were great to work with, and even spent a lot of time on the phone with me explaining how to use my XP10 computer. I purchased the SG1000 regulator which I am thrilled with. I also purchased the Ladyhawk BC and the XP10 computer console. All of my equipment is really easy to use at a very affordable price at nearly 40% off. Also was easy to find a local Scubapro store that could service my gear.

I've been very happy with my gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom