Newly Certified Old Farts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing wrong with being an old fart. I'm 68, certified when I was 60 as I recall. This years plans include at least one cave diving trip to Mexico and additional training on my rebreather. A few years ago in my Full Cave class, my instructor said I was the oldest student he's trained.

Congratulations on your Certification. I wish I had discovered SCUBA at the young age of 50. I am 71 and my dive buddy (sister in law) is 69 and we finished our OW certification last October. The day I was certified, I turned 71. We are off to Bonaire the first week in March for a week of diving. I love it. It has become a major incentive for me to get back in shape and I plan to dive for a number of years more. You guys are just kids, I was in college when you were born :). I hope we cross paths some day.

Hey... you have no right to call yourself old farts. Why, you're just spring chickens in this old geezer's eyes. Enjoy the 70% of The Water Planet that most never get to see firsthand

1. What organization provides "Old Fart" certification? Maybe the AARP?
04.gif

2. If it's been more than 6 months since your last dive, you really need to get in the water, especially since you are new divers. Most resorts will ask you if you've been diving in the last 6 months. If you had a couple hundred dives, then a 6 month break, they wouldn't be as concerned. But you don't have the extensive background to negate a 6 month break. My suggestion is that you sign up at a local shop for a "Scuba Skills Update Class". The content of which varies from agency to agency. But, usually includes a trip to the pool to make sure you still remember how to clear your mask, etc. and then a guided open water dive.

3. On the boat: just be courteous to everyone. Don't leave your stuff all over the boat. But, don't be afraid to ask for any help you need. And, pay attention to the boat captain and dive masters.

Don't let the idea of holding someone else back keep you from going on the trip. You won't be the first time anyone has dove with a newbie and I've never felt any have held me back on a trip. If you're feeling a bit uncomfortable, spend some time at the pool of your LDS practicing your buoyancy. If you're still unsure when you're heading down there, arrange a private DM then you don't have to worry about anyone else. Most of the Keys dives are pretty shallow and straightforward unless you're going to some of the off shore wrecks (speigle, duane, etc). Get down there and have fun !!

I'm another old dog just getting started at 57. And yah, my daughter says I out-gas too much. Haven't convinced the One_Who_Must_Be_Obeyed (wife) to join me, so did OW with 21 y.o. daughter in August, and then AOW last week on a family vacation in Malta / Gozo. I'm constantly amazed (but happy) to find I'm not the oldest, most out-of-shape, or clumsiest newbie around. Looking forward to many years of diving, like the British couple I met last week. They're in their mid-60's, retired and live year-round on Gozo diving as often as they can.

Take it as fast or slow as your comfort level allows, have fun, and bring plenty of Motrin! If you haven't noticed, being underwater is the easy and relaxing part... it's lugging the kit, putting on your gear, and getting in and out of the water that makes one feel one's age :wink: (especially getting out with no ladder.)

Diving does give me plenty of motivation to lose this spare tire around my waist - pulling up the 5mm long-john was WAY more effort than the deep dive.

Enjoy!

Yesterday, I just got a call from a friend of mine who is 73. Our families have vacationed together for years and when I went diving, he would go snorkeling. He always claimed that he wanted to dive, but never quite got around to taking a course. Well, finally, he is getting certified. So cool that I will no longer be the oldest guy on the boat - as well as having a new buddy.

As a recently certified "old fart" (certified March '14 at age 57) I have enjoyed the encouragement given and the knowledge that my wife and I aren't the only ones to wait this late in life to fulfill a dream.

Our first 'real' dive trip was to Cozumel last August. I know drift diving probably not the best place for your first ocean experience. We consulted our instructor and she felt we were ready though. We went with a well respected dive shop and they recommended we dive with a private dive master the first day due to our lack of experience. It was a grand total of an extra $37 and well worth it. He gave us a good questioning after the pre-dive briefing and in we went. It went great and we did some wall dives to 90 feet later in the week as well as 2 night dives.

That's always an option if you're a little unsure of yourself.

This us where we're now most happy.
underwaterselfie21of1_zps3a0c05af.jpg

Back
Top Bottom