night dive tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey,

We're gonna be doing a night dive on an upcoming trip and don't have time between now & then to take a specialty class in it.
What tips/advice/techniques can you give me to summarize what you've learned about what to expect, use of lights, communications, etc?

And yes I've asked this before. lol. And yes, H2Andy I read your links, thanks.
Just poking around for more info. :)
- cra2

* I know it's safer to have taken the class first, etc. But I know many people locally who've been doing night dives (and other advanced dives) for years and never took the formal classes. Heck, some of 'em have been doing it longer than there WERE classes on some of these subjects. lol. We'll be doing a simple dive with a group of experienced night divers and a dive master. So I'd just like a crash course on what to expect. Any new night diver websites out there?

cra2:
Hey,

We're gonna be doing a night dive on an upcoming trip and don't have time between now & then to take a specialty class in it.
What tips/advice/techniques can you give me to summarize what you've learned about what to expect, use of lights, communications, etc?

And yes I've asked this before. lol. And yes, H2Andy I read your links, thanks.
Just poking around for more info. :)
- cra2

* I know it's safer to have taken the class first, etc. But I know many people locally who've been doing night dives (and other advanced dives) for years and never took the formal classes. Heck, some of 'em have been doing it longer than there WERE classes on some of these subjects. lol. We'll be doing a simple dive with a group of experienced night divers and a dive master. So I'd just like a crash course on what to expect. Any new night diver websites out there?

No formal class is really needed for night diving. I never took one and don't know anyone that did. Just make very sure you dive with more experienced divers who have dived at night and can help you with some fine points. Know the area, dive site, some of the hand signals using your lights, bring good a light, and back up, stay close to group and you'll be fine. Have fun.

To help make it easier your first time or two, plan the dive so that you enter the water as the sun is setting rather than in total darkness. This gives you enough light to gear up, but it is still dark enough that you get an idea of the problems you may face. Once in the water, it will still be a little light out, but by the time the dive is done, it should be completely dark.

I like to tie a glowstick to everybodies tank. It helps keep you and your buddy together. If multiple buddy teams are diving, use a different colored light stick for each team. If it is a group follow-the-leader type of dive, having a different color for the leader than all of the other divers helps everybody know who to follow.

Dive a site that you know well from daytime. Be sure to keep a close eye on your air; you may go through it faster if excited by the newness of what you are doing. Know where all your dump valves and inflator controls are by feel rather than sight. Have a backup light handy.

Be sure to go over signals used for night diving before the dive. Remember, nobody can see your hand signals unless you illuminate your hands with a light.

If you get a chance, such as during your safety stop, turn off your light (or hold it against your body to cover it) and look around. Around here there are millions of little red worms that swarm around the light. When it is dark, you can wave your hands in the water and watch the little microscopic organisms sparkle blue with bioluminesence.

Just beware because night diving is habit forming.

Get a tank marker that has replacable batteries. Some locations (Bonaire for one) does not allow chemical light sticks.

Take a torch :wink:

Actually to be serious, take a spare torch. You never know if your one is going to die on you.

Have fun!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Ditto on the flashlights... you'll need more than one to be on the safe side. That said, I usually use the following light signals:

Steady (as opposed to franticly moving) light spot held where my buddy can see it as we swim= I'm fine, and right here with you.
Steady light spot focused on an interesting creature/object = I want to see/show you what I'm illuminating.
Light spot moved in a deliberate circle = OK?/OK.
Light spot moved rapidly back and forth = I need your attention/something's wrong.

hey
dont worry about taking a specialty course. most of the specialty courses that padi or whatever dive organization gives really arent that necessary. i think it is just a way to make some extra money. anyway my first open water experience as a certified diver was a night dive. night dives are awesome and youll really appreciate the whole new ray of life thay comes out. just bring 2 flashlights, one for backup, follow the suggestions previously posted and youll be fine. have fun!!

good advice above, make sure you have a tank beacon

also, bring a signaling device for surface like a whistle and a small flashlight/beacon, the problem with dive lights is that they burn real hot and may burn out on surface after being on too long

also, take your time, don't want to miss or scare the critters that only come out at nite

Don't shine your light toward another diver, like in their face as it may temporarilty blind them. Don't turn your light off while in the water. Most issues arise from turning it back on. If you need to lower the light, just face it toward you and cover with your BCD. Make sure your second light is easy to get to in case the primary fails. Be familiar with the way it works as you ay not have light to figure it out. Tank lights are great and bright white strobes are usually easily seen. Lots more critters to see at night. Be safe and have fun.

A bit of reality, at least for me and the divers I night dive (and day dive) with, waving the light back and forth quickly isn't really just "something is wrong" as much as "HEY!" Most of the time it's something we found and want to share, lobster, octo, whatever.
In addition to shining your light on your hand when you're talking, don't blind your budding by shining the light in their face while they're talking. (Divemastr beat me to this one... will have to type quicker next time. :p )
Another good trick. If you loose your buddies, cover you light with your hand for a few seconds. Sometimes if they get far enough away, you can't see their light unless you cover yours. But only do it for a few seconds, they may be doing the same thing. :)

Night diving is fun though. I love it.

Now if I ever get back in the water it would be nice......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom