Nikon 4300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Diva:
Nothing special is needed with the g-flash. It comes with a tray and arm. It has a sensor on the front to detect your flash. It is truly a user-friendly unit.

Thanks for this info, Diva. As u/w flashes go the Sunpak G is a pretty attractive price. Sounds like you have some experience with it. Is it powerful enough for your average recreational photonoob? This is my first u/w outfit, and the budget is tight, but I don't want to get something that won't produce decent results either. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Rick

I bought this camera last year and I also bought a Fantasea housing. So far so good, I havne't tried any strobes so far, looking for one to match.

I'll buy the Epoque strobe to see how it goes with the housing. I checked the fantasea's website and I could not find any info about the optical cable or diffusers. Are those come out with the strobe?

HMan:
We are looking at several digital strobe options. The Sea and Sea, Inon, Ikelite digital strobes with pre flash recognition all work well but from a economical perspective, the Sunpak G Flash may be the best buy at around $180-200 retail (B and H).
You may want to check this out.
Our new housing for the CP 3100 and 2100 is due out this week and not far behind a housing for the new CP3200 and 2200 !!
Howard
www.fantasea.com

StingRob:
I checked the fantasea's website and I could not find any info about the optical cable or diffusers. Are those come out with the strobe?

Try emailing them with that question. Sometimes there's a delay getting an answer, but eventually you do get an answer. At least that's been my (admittedly limited) experience. The pic at the Fantasea site shows it with the cable, so I'd expect it to be included. They don't sell it separately, so it'd be pretty strange if it wasn't included. If you get an answer, post it!

Rick

Thanks for the great tips everyone. I just bought the fantasea cp04-pro, 4300, sunpak g-flash set up and will be going to maui next week. I'll let everyone know what happens....
Brian in AK

When yo get back share your experience. I heard flash can be setup on cloudy just to bring some more juice to the images. Try shooting with and without flash see the results. Make sure the housing is properly sealled you dont want any surprises on the first dive.
Safe diving

bleach:
I just bought the fantasea cp04-pro, 4300, sunpak g-flash set up and will be going to maui next week. I'll let everyone know what happens....
Brian in AK

Congrats on the purchase, bleach! We look forward to hearing how you like the setup...and more importantly seeing some samples! To be on the safe side, do a test dive with an empty housing, maybe with a 1 lb. weight in it for ballast. Then click away! I agree with Stingrob's suggestion too -- some with the Sunpak and some with just the internal flash to see what a difference the Sunpak makes. Thanks for the being the guinea pig! :-D

Rick

Hi all
Just returned from Maui. I had a great trip, but not too much luck with the camera. Four days into the trip, before any scheduled dives and during our wedding ceremony, the camera stopped working.
After speaking with the online store I bought it from it soon became clear that since I had removed the ucp from the box to get the rebate, they were not going to do anything. We talked to Nikon and to their credit they ended up sending us a "loaner" via fedex. This was way beyond the policies they have in place and surprised us. Unfortunatly it did not show up in time for most of our activities and dives.

We did get to use it for two dives, and it worked great. I'm sure I would have had better success if I had more time to play with the settings.

The housing worked well and was easy to operate and care for. The Sunpak GFlash opertated well. It has an intensity dial so you can control the output and with practice I'm sure it is a great feature. I took all of my pictures on the auto setting at no more than 50ft.

My overall opinion of the setup is great, I just wish I could have used it on my other eight dives.

I can't wait untill my next trip to a warmer climate.

I posted a couple of shots in my gallery.

Brian in AK

I just ordered a 4300- just in time for a trip to Europe :voskl1:

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to get the Fantasea CP-4 pro housing from Underwater Photo Tech. They pressure test everything themselves. I already use them for service on my Aquatica housing. Fantasea has a new wide angle lens coming out so I'll probably buy the whole thing as a kit.

Back
Top Bottom