Nitrox and Deep Diving from PADI or IANTD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
That fact is based on when I am teaching deco procedures and advanced nitrox I invariably find a blank look on many PADI trained divers face when I mention things like Dalton's Law and EAD. They have to play catch-up to things that other agencies teach their divers during a nitrox course. I teach through TDI, PADI SDI and ANDI and I took my basic nitrox from IANTD so my opinoin is based on that limited experience

I remember in my PADI nitrox class going over Dalton's Law and EAD. Maybe it's not a PADI thing but more of the instructor that taught them the class.

I good guide line is to find a good instructor, no matter what agency and take your classes with them. Ask lots of questions.

Another tip is to avoid instructors that slam certifying agency.

CB

AZ_Zoner:
I remember in my PADI nitrox class going over Dalton's Law and EAD. Maybe it's not a PADI thing but more of the instructor that taught them the class.

I good guide line is to find a good instructor, no matter what agency and take your classes with them. Ask lots of questions.

CB
I know it was briefly taught but as soon as you hand a student a table their brain goes to mush and whatever formulae they may have been exposed to vanish from their brain cells.
It's like showing a dive table to someone who has used a computer for a while. "I used to know how to do this thing"

AZ_Zoner:

CB
I just caught that. Did you read the subject of the thread?

wedivebc:
I just caught that. Did you read the subject of the thread?

I guess it depends what you want to do after the deep and nitrox class. If you want to remain a recreational diver, go PADI, if you are looking to go for advanced nitrox, then extended range and on into trimix, maybe now is a good time to start the IANTD route.

Note the lack of a slam (does this make this post more credible?).

Above all meet and talk to the instructor first. An agency is really nothing more than a acronym for something. You need to like, trust, and respect the person you are paying to train you.

kevink:
I guess it depends what you want to do after the deep and nitrox class. If you want to remain a recreational diver, go PADI, if you are looking to go for advanced nitrox, then extended range and on into trimix, maybe now is a good time to start the IANTD route.
the words deep and nitrox causes me to make certain assumptions about the poster

kevink:
Note the lack of a slam (does this make this post more credible?).

yep

"the words deep and nitrox causes me to make certain assumptions about the poster"

I thought from the first two posts that the person who started the thread was asking about two different classes, one for extended or deep diving, and the other for Nitrox. Nobody ever seems to complete the "deep nitrox" class.

BigboyDan:
Well, the PADI EA class is it own thing, and it's intent is basic use. For the most part PADI wants, so far, to maintain a certain distance from the tech world, that's not it's mission, rec is. Even NAUI is in the slow process of separating its tech courses (similar to that of SDI and TDI) from its main rec core. www.nauitec.com
PADI is clearly recreational, but DSAT, PADI's "alter-ego", is oriented towards tech. The PADI EAN Diver, Deep Diver and Rescue Diver are all prerequisites for the DSAT tech program.

Daryl Morse:
PADI is clearly recreational, but DSAT, PADI's "alter-ego", is oriented towards tech. The PADI EAN Diver, Deep Diver and Rescue Diver are all prerequisites for the DSAT tech program.

Agreed. PADI rec courses are clearly differentiated from the tech, as it should be.

Interesting how far we've strayed from answering the question.

If you want to dive Nitrox, you need a cert--any agency will do. All teach the same basic info. The PADI Nitrox will require you to make 2 dives on Nitrox before certifying you, most others will do it with classroom work only. No advantage to either, do what fits your schedule and suits you.

If you want to dive deep, you do not need to take a class or get certified -- but it would be wise to do so to learn the additional risks, precautions, procedures, and even equipment options to make doing so a safer activity. Again, any agency will do, and the class will tend to be more valuable if you take it from an instructor who dives deep and often. The basic deep diving class will only take you down to 100-130 feet, but an instructor who often dives much deeper than this is likely to be better versed in the skills and procedures and may add more to your education than is required by the cert, thereby giving you a better education and better value for your time and money.

Enjoy your classes and dive safe,

theskull

theskull:
Interesting how far we've strayed from answering the question.

If you want to dive Nitrox, you need a cert--any agency will do. All teach the same basic info. The PADI Nitrox will require you to make 2 dives on Nitrox before certifying you, most others will do it with classroom work only. No advantage to either, do what fits your schedule and suits you.

Enjoy your classes and dive safe,

theskull

Nothing can be further from the truth.. I teach ANDI, PADI, TDI, SDI and know the IANTD curriculum quite well.. BY FAR the best nitrox class is the ANDI CSU class.. Ask ANYONE who has taken it (and compared it to other programs) the will probably tell you the same.. I have trimix instructors tell me they LEARNED some new stuff when I do crossovers to ANDI from thier agency (they still have to sit through the ANDI csu even if they are trimix instructors)

ANDI CSU teaches the material (plus mores) usually associated with the combination of nitrox PLUS advanced nitrox with several agencies.. On avereage its about 12 HOurs of academics plus 2 dives

The padi class is a basic introduction, for the ocassional user it is fine.. If you have other plans there are better choices.

WARNING START of RANT

I don't know how long you have been around but PADI used to tell people breathing Nitrox was very bad and it was going to kill you, the combination of PADI, DAN and SkinDiver magazine managed to temporarily get ANDI and IANTD banned from one DEMA in the early 90s (these were the only agencies teaching nitrox at the time).. PADI realized how much money they were losing, the eventually allowed a Nitrox Distinctive specialty (to those who were able to teach from ANDI and IANTD), eventually created their own Nitrox class and now it is their #1 specialty..

END RANT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom