Nitrox and Deep Diving from PADI or IANTD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, you guys must be a great instructors or lucky students. I also got PADI nitrox cert. from my horrible LDS. What I had is only self-study and took the test. Yes, there was no lecture and only check up the answers of Knowledge review. It only took 20 min including the test and checking the answers. And it cost about $140.. Who said that LDS can't make any margins from the class?

padiscubapro:
Nothing can be further from the truth.. I teach ANDI, PADI, TDI, SDI and know the IANTD curriculum quite well.. BAR FAR the best nitrox class is the ANDI CSU class.. Ask ANYONE who has taken it (and compared it to other programs) the will probably tell you the same..

Oh yeah, and the CSU also will allow you to purchase and use 50%, most other programs only cover up to 40%

wedivebc:
the words deep and nitrox causes me to make certain assumptions about the poster
I'm sure you know that IANTD marches to a different drummer compared to the other agencies in terms of what they consider sport vs. tech diving. Both Deep and Nitrox are well within what IANTD considers sport diving. Link to the IANTD Standards and Procedures Manual if anyone is interested.

Stirling:
I thought from the first two posts that the person who started the thread was asking about two different classes, one for extended or deep diving, and the other for Nitrox. Nobody ever seems to complete the "deep nitrox" class.
:06: Again, one of the great things about IANTD is that they encourage their instructors to offer compatible courses together. The IANTD standards on their Deep Diver course specifically state: "It is recommended that this Program be taught in conjunction with the IANTD EANx Diver Program or the Recreational Trimix Diver Program or the IANTD Advanced EANx Diver Program." They even spell out what constitutes minimum standards for combined courses.

What I can't get my brain around is why anyone would take the Deep course and dive air down to 130 ft. :11: Or pay more to do the Deep and EANx classes separately.

Anyway, the point I was originally trying to make to kckskh was that the standards for the IANTD Deep course are much more stringent than the PADI version. There is no need to take that course from both agencies, anyone who could pass the IANTD course would waste their time and money retaking the PADI version.

StSomewhere:
I'm sure you know that IANTD marches to a different drummer compared to the other agencies in terms of what they consider sport vs. tech diving. Both Deep and Nitrox are well within what IANTD considers sport diving. Link to the IANTD Standards and Procedures Manual if anyone is interested.

Actually I don't really. I will read up on it. The line between sport and tech diving gets blurrier every day.

What IANTD considers sport diving is NOT rec diving. Let's get that straight. I've taken six IANTD courses and couldn't be happier. But if as wedivebc states, "The line between sport and tech diving gets blurrier every day." is true, well, don't blame PADI.

BigboyDan:
What IANTD considers sport diving is NOT rec diving. Let's get that straight. I've taken six IANTD courses and couldn't be happier. But if as wedivebc states, "The line between sport and tech diving gets blurrier every day." is true, well, don't blame PADI.

TO me recreational diving is what I do for pleasure.. its has nothing to do with depth.. A "recreational" dive could easily be 100m for 30 minutes with 3 hours of deco...

If I'm teaching its a working dive...

Sport/technical probably are a better descriptions of activities..

kckskh:
Hi...was thinking of taking nitrox and deep diving from PADI and IANTD. Is it advisable anot?

One or the other is good enough. I don't think you need to take both.

R..

I chose IANTD for my EAN, couldn't be happier, like it has been said before "the course is only as good as the instructor" and after reading what IANTD has to offer, and reading the instructor's credentials, I chose to go with there certifications.

Also I eventualy will be taking the Advanced EAN, Deep Air, and Trimix certifications

Hi people, thanks for your inputs. Anyway, i went down to a few dive centres today and more or less decided what to do. I will be taking my Nitrox(1 course), Deep Water Diving and Advanced Nitrox(2 certification together), EFR, Rescue and DM from IANTD. However, i will be doing the DM from PADI concurrently once i'm certified for Rescue and EFR from IANTD. My choice for taking 2 DMs was for the flexibility and practicality. I think that i can learn more from IANTD for the courses i chose to take with them but DM with PADI for the practical sense. As for the future, i guess i'll go on to instructorship a few yrs down the road and i'll make a decision on which way to go then. By the way, its true that in my country, Singapore, PADI holds a big slice of the market.

kckskh:
Hi people, thanks for your inputs. Anyway, i went down to a few dive centres today and more or less decided what to do. I will be taking my Nitrox(1 course), Deep Water Diving and Advanced Nitrox(2 certification together), EFR, Rescue and DM from IANTD. However, i will be doing the DM from PADI concurrently once i'm certified for Rescue and EFR from IANTD. My choice for taking 2 DMs was for the flexibility and practicality. I think that i can learn more from IANTD for the courses i chose to take with them but DM with PADI for the practical sense. As for the future, i guess i'll go on to instructorship a few yrs down the road and i'll make a decision on which way to go then. By the way, its true that in my country, Singapore, PADI holds a big slice of the market.

Have you considered the DM membership fees and/or insurance you will end up paying? Paying to be a DM with two agencies may not be worth what it gets you...... just a thought.

R..

Back
Top Bottom