Nitrox and Deep Diving from PADI or IANTD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Have you considered the DM membership fees and/or insurance you will end up paying? Paying to be a DM with two agencies may not be worth what it gets you...... just a thought.

R..

Good Point, haven't really thought of that. Any1 knows how much are the DM membership fees for both the organisations? Was thinking i will pay for both organisations but perhaps only purchase 1 of the the liability insurance for PADI or IANTD.

wedivebc:
That fact is based on when I am teaching deco procedures and advanced nitrox I invariably find a blank look on many PADI trained divers face when I mention things like Dalton's Law and EAD. They have to play catch-up to things that other agencies teach their divers during a nitrox course. I teach through TDI, PADI SDI and ANDI and I took my basic nitrox from IANTD so my opinoin is based on that limited experience

I assumed that PADI's Nitrox course was similar to NAUI's, which is where I got mine. The NAUI course does cover Dalton's law and EAD, as well as other math involved with Nitrox diving, MOD, best depth and such, not just looking it up on a table. Obviously there's not as much equvalency between organizations as I thought.

Slick6:
I assumed that PADI's Nitrox course was similar to NAUI's, which is where I got mine. The NAUI course does cover Dalton's law and EAD, as well as other math involved with Nitrox diving, MOD, best depth and such, not just looking it up on a table. Obviously there's not as much equvalency between organizations as I thought.
I don't know exactly what NAUI teaches about nitrox but even though I am able to teach the PADI nitrox program I prefer not to. My interests lie in deep mixed gas diving and rebreathers. The PADI program does not give you enough material to build on if you persue that line. It is a good recreational nitrox program for people who don't want to think too much about the diving and just get wet but the original post asked what was better between PADI and IANTD. Of the 2 I would choose IANTD. Of any nitrox program currently offered I would easily choose ANDI Complete Safeair User (CSU) as it better prepares you for further education as well as presents 7 distinct applications of nitrox use.

wedivebc:
I don't know exactly what NAUI teaches about nitrox but even though I am able to teach the PADI nitrox program I prefer not to. My interests lie in deep mixed gas diving and rebreathers. The PADI program does not give you enough material to build on if you persue that line. It is a good recreational nitrox program for people who don't want to think too much about the diving and just get wet but the original post asked what was better between PADI and IANTD. Of the 2 I would choose IANTD. Of any nitrox program currently offered I would easily choose ANDI Complete Safeair User (CSU) as it better prepares you for further education as well as presents 7 distinct applications of nitrox use.
I was planning to take the PADI EANx Diver course, but this thread has really got me thinking otherwise. For me, the nitrox course will be a step along the way to a deco procedures course. I don't like the PADI/DSAT "deep air" philosophy so if I'll be going in a different direction, I'm thinking that I should start with ANDI CSU instead.

I noticed on the ANDI website that CSU allows for a maximum of two cylinders and a maximum of two gas mixes to a maximum depth of 40m. I take it that implies either independent doubles or a single with a sling bottle. I'm currently diving with a single AL80. What are the equipment requirements? Is a sling bottle acceptable or is an H valve also recommended for the AL80 due to the maximum depth of 40m? Along with the 12 hours of theory, what should I expect to be covered in the 2 mandatory dives?

kckskh:
Hi...was thinking of taking nitrox and deep diving from PADI and IANTD. Is it advisable anot?

I think what you mean to say is:

I am thinking of taking a Nitrox and Deep Diving course using the training materials from PADI and IANTD.

IANTD and PADI do not teach courses.

You take courses from qualified instructors who use materials from training agencies.

Just needed to clear that up. Despite what they say -- PADI does not teach the world to dive ....... they sell the books.

Regards,

JS1scuba:

I am thinking of taking a Nitrox and Deep Diving course using the training materials from PADI and IANTD.

You take courses from qualified instructors who use materials from training agencies.

Just needed to clear that up. Despite what they say -- PADI does not teach the world to dive ....... they sell the books.

Regards,
Feeling pedantic today? ;-)

Daryl Morse:
Feeling pedantic today? ;-)

Actually yes. I have been behind the computer for the last few days writing an instructional manual for a new product.

:)

regards,
jds

JS1scuba:

Regards,

....and issue the cert cards

Daryl Morse:
I was planning to take the PADI EANx Diver course, but this thread has really got me thinking otherwise. For me, the nitrox course will be a step along the way to a deco procedures course. I don't like the PADI/DSAT "deep air" philosophy so if I'll be going in a different direction, I'm thinking that I should start with ANDI CSU instead.

I noticed on the ANDI website that CSU allows for a maximum of two cylinders and a maximum of two gas mixes to a maximum depth of 40m. I take it that implies either independent doubles or a single with a sling bottle. I'm currently diving with a single AL80. What are the equipment requirements? Is a sling bottle acceptable or is an H valve also recommended for the AL80 due to the maximum depth of 40m? Along with the 12 hours of theory, what should I expect to be covered in the 2 mandatory dives?

I am going to check on the standard and will get back to you.

Calling Padiscubapro.......

Normally when I teach the program it involves 1 gas (Safeair) with a mixture up to 50% and optionally a bailout cylinder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom