Nitrox resources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best introductory book on diving nitrox is Recreational Nitrox Diving by Robert N. Rossier. All the theory, good examples, plenty of practice problems, you'll be all set for your class when you take it. Best of all, you'll know *why* you want take the class. Its not for the first dive of the day, its for the second, third, or fourth.

Replying to the original post, I found the PADI tec deep manual useful in gaining a basic understanding of nitrox and how it can be used. I have not taken the course and do not intend to do anything outside of recreational diving but more knowledge never hurts provided one does not exceed thier true ability.

If you are interested in learning the basics the PADI manual might be a good start. It puts things very simply. It does however have a little too much repetition and does not get very technical though. For that a formal text might be more useful.

As for taking the course, I think "soggy" is on the mark. Nitrox will likely increase the safety margin and if used correctly shouldn't be a problem. I also believe that the deep course could be very beneficial if it is actually taught properly. So, if you are interested go for it. Get a great instructor and talk with them before making your decision on the course though. A quality instructor will likely be able to give you a better idea of whether the courses are approapriate for you at this point.

Good luck with your search.

“Thanks” to all who responded.
Lots of good stuff out there, though some of it looks a bit too intense for summer reading.
Thanks again,
Jeffrey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom