Nomad-Swapping the inflator hose with the rear dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the other hand, guys what exact black tubing do you have over your dump string? It looks nice and pliable. My Lowes garden whatever tube is still wayward and wants to pull away even from innertube. I want something softer.

This is the stuff that Mike is using, pictured below. Purchased at Home Depot, it is:

WATTS
SVBIG10
45 PSI @ 70F (21C)

Black Vinyl Tubing
1/2" x 3/8" x 10ft

048643 178656

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

You shouldn't need anything larger on the pull dump. You need to secure the tubing to the webbing with small zip ties. I've been diving this configuration for a few years and never had a problem finding my pull dump. Look closely at the pics I posted.

Sorry Carrie, but they were not in stock. But, as was suggested before, try using a wine cork or some type of bead. Another Nomad diver says that she uses the big beads from ponytail holders.

Thanks for checking.

You shouldn't need anything larger on the pull dump. You need to secure the tubing to the webbing with small zip ties. I've been diving this configuration for a few years and never had a problem finding my pull dump. Look closely at the pics I posted.

Rob,
This is exactly what mine looks like. I just have problems finding the pull dump. I'm still working on what works and what doesn't.
A buddy took a video of me last week, and my tanks are hanging pretty low in the front. I have the circle bungees, but I think I'm going to swap them out for regular bungees. I have also found that I cannot reach the pockets on my drysuit!

Tuck your arm under the tanks and roll them back, should allow you access to pockets.

*shrugs*

I run a 3'ish hose on my left, but I don't intend to share gas with my left tank. I'd just assume use two 7'ers if that were the case.

All the problems you're having are very easily solved. Your sidemount buddy should be able to help you with them. If not, you may want to reconsider taking a course.

Carrie, how do you route the left hose, behind the neck? If so it can get crowded back there. I use a 20" with a right angle adapter routed in the front and it's not a problem. It will always feel messier than backmount though.

Regarding the shoulder pull dump I always had problems locating it, but then I was mostly diving dry gloves, so... my OPV eventually started leaking, but looked ok and was fine in the original bottom position, so I switched back.

As for reaching your pockets, even with the wing-flap move, I find it hard to do while staying in trim. So now I'm clipping a pocket to my butt-dring. If you are not using it for stages, that's a great location. Even with stages I think you could use the small d-ring that's there.

Yesterday I finally got a handle of the hose routing and think it's pretty good now. The problem I was having was that I am routing the left hose behind my neck and there was slack. I now have a 5' hose on the left tank, so I can adjust it under the band. I am still going to be diving bm, so this seems the most logical setup, so there is never any question in my mind which reg is which.
I have been practicing skills such as deploying the long hose, unclipping tanks, and line skills in this rig. It's a little awkward for now, but I can do it.
Clipping steel tanks back to the rail while under the water is a PITA. I am developing muscles in my arms that I didn't know were there.
There was a sm instructor out at the lake yesterday with a class and he was going over hose routing and rigging. I went over and took a look and his hose routing and rigging looked almost like mine except for the suicide clips he had on his cambands.

Rob, my sm buddy has been out of town and I had been debating taking a class. I do still need a little help making sure my tanks are riding correct and I need to look at how to carry stage bottles, but I think the rec sm class at this point would be a waste of money. I am going to Hawaii in a few weeks and want to dive sm there. I am going to go by and talk to the instructor and ask him if he would do a couple of dives with me to work specifically on those 2 things.

Just curious, what do you thing the rec sidemount class involves?

Back
Top Bottom