Non-diver spouse??!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is turning into more of a marriage counseling session than a diving advice thread. It sure sounds like you have some issues that have nothing to do with diving that need some serious resolution, and I suspect that deep down inside you really know that and want someone to tell you that.

I have been married for 34 years. We have had our not so fine moments, as all have, but it is a happy marriage that is not going to end in the foreseeable future. Perhaps a discussion of how we deal with the diving problem will illustrate.

My wife and are are lucky in that we do most things together. We both play golf, for example, and she likes it more than I do. We rarely play separately.

Diving is another issue. A series of ruptured eardrums (illnesses) in earlier years make her afraid to even try diving. She does, however, enjoy vacationing in places where there is diving--like Cozumel, the Caymans, etc. She snorkels. When we plan vacations, she is willing to go to such places. This is something of a compromise, because she is pretty eager to go to Germany and other such locales not famous for Manta Rays. In return, I don't make it a true dive vacation. I get in plenty of diving, but I make sure we have plenty of non-diving time together. I will also make sure we take a vacation real soon to a place she really wants to vist more than I, a place with no diving.

Sometimes the willingness to compromise has surprise benefits. My wife handled the travel arrangments when we visited the Australia/New Zealand area, and to my surprise she scheduled four nights on a liveabooard on the barrier reef. It was a gift to me. Well, she had a great time! The snorkeling 60 miles off the coast of Australia is the best she had ever experienced, and the trip was a highlight for her as well as me. You never know.

OK, so that's cool, but it's easy. Here is where we have issues that are no so easy.

I am currently working in a job that allows me a lot of flexibility in time. She does not. Consequently, I have had some opportunities for individual dive trips. I went to Thailand for two weeks last year. I leave for nearly three weeks to Yap and Chuuk in a couple of weeks. These trips were not made lightly. We talked it over at great length. We realized that when she retires (maybe next year), things will be different. When I had an opportunity to go with friends to a Dive Mecca like Yap/Chuuk while she was working, it seemed like an ideal time to do it--let's face it, she would not want to go on that trip. So she was very giving on that one, and I am doing my best to make sure that I give in return.

The other problem is my instructing. Living in Colorado, I can't just grab my tanks and head for the beach. The little instructing I do helps fulfill my dive needs, but it does irritate her when I am in the pool working on a weekend when she wants to do something else--like play golf. I have to be aware of that, and try to make reasonable compromises.

So that's what it is all about. We are not perfect at this, but she realizes I really like diving, and she tries to do what she can to accommodate those needs. I realize that she has other needs and desires and I try to accommodate them. Neither one of us tries to push our agenda on the other to the extent that we cross the line.

From what you have written, I am not sure your marriage has that understanding. I think that is what you need to work on.

Also remember the immortal words of Dave Barry:

"There is a fine line between hobby and insanity."

Come on guys, say it aint so! What ever happened to communication and respect in a relationship?

I've got nothing against gifts and for the record, I do love getting flowers, but when in a relationship I wouldn't expect to be "paid" everytime he wanted to do something without me. Actually it's best if he has interests of his own.

A relationship needs a lotof give and take, but from both sides. Not one giving and the othertaking. Yes sacrifice is important in a relationship, but as far as I'm concerned nothing nor nobody is worth sacrificing yourself for.

No wonder I'm single :shakehead

My wife hates the water and does not like to see the photos I take. She does enjoy shopping on weekends with friends, our daughter or by herself. I will then go diving or take the dirt bike out. She is more important to me than any sport I could participate in. I would love to grow gills and live under water. I am just as "hooked" as the next person. But it sounds like you're heading down a road that will prove very painful if not fixed. Your second post kind of changed things a bit when you said she had a drinking problem. Sounds like she is unsucessfuly trying to deal with something. On the other hand if my wife got into something a few months back and now is taking separate vacations and is always gone doing it I would wonder whats up. 29 dives in 2 1/2 months would be great but would land me on the couch. It sounds like you have bigger problems to work through. How important is your marrage to you? You may need to back off the diving a bit until things are more stable. (back off not quit)
Try this. Set up a dive for the weekend. (which you have no intension of doing) When she says don't go diving stay with me. Think for a minute and ask what she would like to do. Then cancel your non existant dive plans and spend the time with her. Try and get her in situations that don't involve drinking.

Many won't like my answer.

My wife doesn't dive, but she loves to sit on the beach or boat and chill, so we've no issues. However, if she ever asked me to stop diving, I'd do it in a heartbeat (intentional use of that word). I am not an individual, but one half of a team, and both of us unselfishly give the other the veto power. When something like diving or a job becomes more important than a marriage, then you don't really have a true marriage, but something else less important.

I've always wanted to skydive, but Priscilla has asked me not to. No problem. Her feelings are so much more important than some silly hobby that I can't imagine how poor our relationship would have to be for me to draw a line at something like skydiving.

One of the ScubaBoard staff of many years, thousands of posts and great diving skills has mostly stopped diving. He has taken up a different hobby that him and his wife both share.

Good for him.

I've been married 26 years and my marriage gets better every year. My wife encourages me to dive as often as I want (if I'm a little on edge, she says, "Honey, why don't you go diving"). She sacrifices many "things" to budget in my diving gear. She happily plans our vacations around my favorite diving destinations (the last three were kona, Coz and Monterey, and we're headed back to Monterey in 10 days). She orders my diving magazines, buys my air cards, and recently suggested I buy a small boat for diving (which I did).

However, the day she gets uncomfortable with my diving (coming some day due to age, I fear), it all happily goes up for sale.

NOTHING is more important than her.

well, she knows she has a good guy and we do what is needed to keep them.

I had a

She wants to do booze cruises and crap I could care less about and the normal crowd we cruise with isn't going this trip. Basically it's all her younger friends (30 and belo
w) that are going. Party guys of which I really dont want to do, I'd rather dive.

one of the above for 15 years. NYC, las Vegas and Miami, eating out and chit chat at medical meetings. Finally, I had to come up for air or I was going to blow my brains out. If a man doesn't like the ocean, we have a problem prozac will not fix.

Also will say something OP might not like. I predict you get divorced. It is not about diving, it is bigger than that. Some people like adventure, some people don't. Then, some people like drinking A LOT, and some people don't. I do not want to be with an unhealthy person because it is a negative influence on my life.
If my partner does not help me be better then I am not into it. My heart goes out to you.

Interesting read for this bachelor who is not qualified to comment, except - I think this marriage is in serious need of help anyway..
Tanker299 I've had almost the same conversation except I asked to go MONTHS in advance and then hours before I leave she wants me to cancel. This happens for EVERY dive. AAHHHHHHH! I had a dive scheduled for last monday that was cancelled due to poor vis. My wife got the message and I swear her feet didn't touch the floor for five hours she was so happy I wasn't going.

... what "rhyz" was asking was how do you deal with a non-diving spouse. Some others added their own stories and light hearted banter about their own intricacies in dealing with it.
I don't think that anyone is advocating you leave your wife/husband just because she/he doesn't like diving, even the ones who suggested that as an alternative, it was said tongue-in-cheek, I'm sure you all saw that.

While some of you fine folks are to be commended for having such harmonious arrangements, some of us do not have that and it just takes a little bit more to get things done; that doesn't mean "diving or her/him". :no

Instead of giving up on diving just because she doesn't approve 100% of the time, even though I bang my head sometimes, we still come to a compromise. That's what a relationship is all about, whether you agree all the time about everything or you disagree all the time.

Barracuda2:
Except for Amadeus023 We together balance our relationship; we both sacrifice. For those of you still married to the non-diving spouse, it's not too late. Try Giving (sacrificing) to your spouse and I'll bet you get it back in return. And I do say this realizing that to many of you younger people out there, the concept of "sacrifice" is totally foreign. However, if you don't explore it, your relationship will either end, or you both will exists in mutual resentment.
Good points :wink: I would say there is a hole in your marriage that needs to be fixed, and if you dont someone will. " I know been there" divorce is not an option here you love her then fight. If you have a problem with the drinking tell her. Maybe you can cut back on the diving and try something that she enjoys to. Now dont give up on your dreams of diving just cut back. Find a half way point that you guys can meet in the middle. Now if she wont talk find a good counselor that will be the middle man as it were. Just sit a talk dont get mad or give up tell how you feel and let her talk and listen. Just my $1.25 hang in there :coffee:

Rick Inman:
My wife doesn't dive, but she loves to sit on the beach or boat and chill, so we've no issues. However, if she ever asked me to stop diving, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

My wife and your wife might be related, My wife really loves our Vacations Now. I'm a go getter for the most part. So my wife gets to spend her own quality time on the beach reading a book. While I do the AM & PM Dives, then we meet up after the dives for a nice relaxing dinner(I'm pretty mellowed out after 4 Dives).

The Great thing is my wife actually encourages my diving, never hassles me for any dive purchase. She's always excited to hear where we are going next.

I say get your priorities straight. Divorce the drunk, and go diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom