nose breather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Due to a disability, I can't really seal my mouth. I am a nose breather through and through. Do scuba diving places usually have a face mask or something? Could i still do it? It's something I've always wanted to do- I'm going to the Dominican and I'd like to do it.

My concern with buying a mask is that it likely wouldn't get used often at all, and if there is a problem and i need to share another person's tank, I'm kind of screwed. Perhaps if i use nose plugs, I could breathe through my mouth, but i'm not confident about it.

Thoughts?

Hi Ahren Belisle,

One great thing about a FFM is that you can breathe through your nose the entire dive if you like! In addition, the mask defogs itself (no spitting or defogger in your mask), they come in multiple colors (we just came out with new frosted skirts, which let in a lot of light), your air source is strapped to your head, and you have the opportunity to use communications if you'd like. Our Guardian FFM is compatible with or without comms. The retail price of a mask without comms is $849-, and if you'd like comms with the Guardian mask, $1,349- with our Buddy Phone D2 comm unit.

As others have chimed in, it is important to know how to use a standard SCUBA set up in an emergency situation. We have training videos on how to switch from FFM to standard SCUBA, as well as numerous other training videos, which are being added to constantly on our website. You can visit those here : Videos | Ocean Technology Systems

As with anything else, it is always nice to "try before you buy", which is why we require all of our dealers to carry "demo" equipment for individuals like yourself that would like to see if a FFM is right for them. I do a trade show circuit every year and we have typical recreational divers in everywhere using them. I've had countless people come up to me and tell me that they will never dive a standard setup again. I have TMJ myself, (I can bite down on a 2nd stage for short periods of time, but get really sore within 20 mins) so I love keeping my mouth free of anything, keeping a mask constantly fog-free and I really enjoy keeping my face warm at the same time.

You can check out our Guardian masks here : Shop | Ocean Technology Systems

and for a list of dealers in your area, you can use our "Dealer Locator". You punch in your zip code, and it will bring up all dealers in your area, which should have demo equipment for you to try before having to purchase. You can see that here : Dealer Locator | Ocean Technology Systems

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be glad to help you out in your diving journey.

I rent full face masks but only during training. For my course which you must already be certified OW for you will switch back to a standard mask and regulator constantly. So even if someone was able to get a standards waiver to let you use the FFM during ow, the skills alone would mess you up, if you really in fact are not able to seal a regulator. It doesn't take much effort to breath off a regulator but you won't know until you tried it.

Hi Ahren Belisle,

One great thing about a FFM is that you can breathe through your nose the entire dive if you like! In addition, the mask defogs itself (no spitting or defogger in your mask), they come in multiple colors (we just came out with new frosted skirts, which let in a lot of light), your air source is strapped to your head, and you have the opportunity to use communications if you'd like. Our Guardian FFM is compatible with or without comms. The retail price of a mask without comms is $849-, and if you'd like comms with the Guardian mask, $1,349- with our Buddy Phone D2 comm unit.

As others have chimed in, it is important to know how to use a standard SCUBA set up in an emergency situation. We have training videos on how to switch from FFM to standard SCUBA, as well as numerous other training videos, which are being added to constantly on our website. You can visit those here : Videos | Ocean Technology Systems

As with anything else, it is always nice to "try before you buy", which is why we require all of our dealers to carry "demo" equipment for individuals like yourself that would like to see if a FFM is right for them. I do a trade show circuit every year and we have typical recreational divers in everywhere using them. I've had countless people come up to me and tell me that they will never dive a standard setup again. I have TMJ myself, (I can bite down on a 2nd stage for short periods of time, but get really sore within 20 mins) so I love keeping my mouth free of anything, keeping a mask constantly fog-free and I really enjoy keeping my face warm at the same time.

You can check out our Guardian masks here : Shop | Ocean Technology Systems

and for a list of dealers in your area, you can use our "Dealer Locator". You punch in your zip code, and it will bring up all dealers in your area, which should have demo equipment for you to try before having to purchase. You can see that here : Dealer Locator | Ocean Technology Systems

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be glad to help you out in your diving journey.

Knowing what your mask is made from , I can tell you that the day you get it priced right, you'll see your sales increase exponentially. Let's face it, this is basically a $100 gas mask where you attach a regulator instead of a filter.

My point is that I'm not sure you guys grasp elasticity of price in general marketing. When a diver choose between a OCR and CCR set up, there is a reason that CCR coast $8000 versus $800 due to the complexity. And, CCR wouldn't find a wide acceptance even if it dropped to $2000 simply because of that complexity and how simple it is to do an OCR set up ANYWHERE.

But with the FFM versus PFM, you don't have that. Lots of people would be interested in FFM set ups over PFM if the difference was a FFM at $250 versus a PFM at $100. Add in the electronics which really could be done for another say $250 (I believe it could be), and you have a FFM set up where someone like myself could purchase two masks and then be able to speak with my wife underwater (not always a blessing I admit)...

Sorry, I think it could be done for that, and I also believe where you might sell 2000 units a year now, that you'd find dive centers across the globe would snap up a $500 unit and you'd be selling over 100,000 units a year.

People like to talk about the 'silence' of being underwater, but in reality, rec divers want to be able to say "Hey, come look at this cool nudi!!" and resort instructors want to be able to say to a group of 4 OW candidates "Okay, watch me" or "hey Willie, max depth is 12 meters, not 20, get up here".

Sorry, I know you're just trying to help, but I'm wistful about the FFM and think you guys could do better than you do on pricing.

Knowing what your mask is made from , I can tell you that the day you get it priced right, you'll see your sales increase exponentially. Let's face it, this is basically a $100 gas mask where you attach a regulator instead of a filter.

My point is that I'm not sure you guys grasp elasticity of price in general marketing. When a diver choose between a OCR and CCR set up, there is a reason that CCR coast $8000 versus $800 due to the complexity. And, CCR wouldn't find a wide acceptance even if it dropped to $2000 simply because of that complexity and how simple it is to do an OCR set up ANYWHERE....

The price of goods are not defined by how complex they are (heck, iPhone is much more complext than CCR), but how much people are willing to pay for them. I wouldn't buy a full face mask even it were $100. Yet people who really need them - pay $1400. That's why they sell them for $1400. CCRs don't cost $8000 either, they much simpler in reality; it's just people are willing to pay that much.

Nobody seems to have touched on the obvious. What is the OP going to do if he gets his mask kicked off or smashed in a swim through?
How's he going to breathe off a buddy's alternate without a mask? Or even his own alternate for that matter?
Too many "helpful" posters on this thread encouraging a bad situation!

Nobody seems to have touched on the obvious. What is the OP going to do if he gets his mask kicked off or smashed in a swim through?
How's he going to breathe off a buddy's alternate without a mask? Or even his own alternate for that matter?

I think the "too many helpful posters on this thread" are merely encouraging the OP to give it a try. If the OP is able to work through the potential issue and get certified... no problem. If the OP is unable to master the necessary skills, they won't get certified... no problem.

PS - when would you imagine, in the ordinary course of a lifetime of recreational diving, that someone would get themselves into a situation that would require them to have to "breathe off a buddy's alternate without a mask? Or even his own alternate for that matter?"

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

I think everyone who has mentioned a full face mask has mentioned that there is still a need to learn to use the regular gear (except the person who mentioned HSA- but perhaps they have an emergency procedure that is different).

If this person can use a regular set up for an emergency, perhaps the answer can be as simple as holding his/her nose while on the octo. It's discouraged to do this, because there is no reason for it, and then your hand isn't free for your gauges/BC etc; but when ascending, there really isn't any reason you can't hold your nose.

Would this work? It is a full face mask that takes normal regulators. And it's cheap.

The dead volume (and thus CO2) might become a problem, though: If you inhale the air inside the mask, then a lot of the air inhaled is used/bad air and not fresh. I do not know how much your mouth leaks.

As using a buddys spare regulator is not an option, I suggest you learn to do free swimming ascents (without gas) from 20/30m (Some freediving experience would not hurt).

Amazon.com : Cressi Scuba Full Face Mask : Diving Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

Cressi.jpg

My point is that I'm not sure you guys grasp elasticity of price in general marketing. When a diver choose between a OCR and CCR set up, there is a reason that CCR coast $8000 versus $800 due to the complexity. And, CCR wouldn't find a wide acceptance even if it dropped to $2000 simply because of that complexity and how simple it is to do an OCR set up ANYWHERE.

But with the FFM versus PFM, you don't have that. Lots of people would be interested in FFM set ups over PFM if the difference was a FFM at $250 versus a PFM at $100. Add in the electronics which really could be done for another say $250 (I believe it could be), and you have a FFM set up where someone like myself could purchase two masks and then be able to speak with my wife underwater (not always a blessing I admit)...

Sorry, I think it could be done for that, and I also believe where you might sell 2000 units a year now, that you'd find dive centers across the globe would snap up a $500 unit and you'd be selling over 100,000 units a year.

People like to talk about the 'silence' of being underwater, but in reality, rec divers want to be able to say "Hey, come look at this cool nudi!!" and resort instructors want to be able to say to a group of 4 OW candidates "Okay, watch me" or "hey Willie, max depth is 12 meters, not 20, get up here".

Sorry, I know you're just trying to help, but I'm wistful about the FFM and think you guys could do better than you do on pricing.

Hi PhatD1ver,

Just wanted to clarify a few things, as you seem perturbed about FFMs. I'm unsure if you are speaking directly about our mask in general or any full face mask, but there are many reasons at our price point currently from a business standpoint. More specialized products like FFMs (quality ones anyway) and CCR's that you speak of, in an already relatively small industry such as the SCUBA industry can do that. I'd be happy to talk more with you about it if you'd like to send me an email, as this thread should be more geared towards helping a fellow diver out as that is the reason for this thread.

There are full face masks out there that are more in the price range you speak of, particularly the Mantis Mask, which you can see here : Shop | Ocean Technology Systems , if that is something that suits you more. Keep in mind, that the Mantis mask does not include a balanced 2nd stage, mask bag, hose, ABV as ours does. It is also not self-defogging, does not have a double seal, nor removable 2nd stage, nor is the standard for numerous applications. The Guardian FFM is. Or you can check out the Cressi mask that Subcooled talks about, which is another option. There are many FFM's out there that are less "complex" than ours that could be more affordable to you.

Our mask is not a gas mask, and never was a gas mask -- it was designed from the ground up for diving specifically and released in 2008. I understand your frustration in the price point. Some people think it's expensive, others think it's dirt cheap. I've gotten every reaction out there during trade shows / dealer visits / ScubaBoard . I can assure you we are working every day to bring the cost down for the general recreational diver, which you may see within the next year, at a price point more in the range you are speak about.

Have you used a FFM yourself and which have you used?

..snip..
PS - when would you imagine, in the ordinary course of a lifetime of recreational diving, that someone would get themselves into a situation that would require them to have to "breathe off a buddy's alternate without a mask? Or even his own alternate for that matter?"
Best regards,
Ray Purkis

Maybe I'm missing something and you can explain it to me. If you're diving FFM and your own regulator fails how are you going to take your buddy's alternate without removing your FFM first? Unless you're carrying a spare conventional mask you're going to be without a mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom