O.K. all you D.I.R.ers,( A Serious Question)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LY;

What is the Zeagle equivalent to the TX40? Like you, I have the 50D/ZX combo (and love it) but made the "mistake" of opting for the AIR2 style octo on my Ranger. I found a TX40 Octo through an online source for a decent deal ($110 after shipping), but if I can stick with Zeagle, I'd rather do that.

Or are there any other suggestions?

Texas M.

Where did you find the TX-40 2nd online? Everywhere I look it has the entire reg setup. I just wanna get the second stage.

On the Zeagle equivilant. I may be wrong, but from what my not so informative Zeagle reg manual says, I would gather thatit's the "Z" reg.

The really funny thing is when I first bought this setup 2 years ago, my shop accidently put the Z (TX-40) style reg as my octo. I made a fuss that I, LiveGoat, know it all diver needed two, that's right, TWO tech 50-D regs. I had standards after all. If I had just kept my damn mouth shut....:)

---Ray

I haven't kept up on everything going on with Zeagle, but it used to be the ZRD. I think they still offer it. I don't own one as I use an Odin for my back up (not DIR but...). If I were a warm water diver (45F+), I'd ditch the Odin and get the non air balanced Apeks (which by the way, are definately available somewhere).

Good luck.

How does that price compare to it being sold in the US? It sounds great if shipping isn't bad. It doesn't say if it's unbalanced unless I missed something.

Mike

I just paid the "bargain" price of $175 when I ordered my TX-100 last week. For all those "support your local dive shop" advocates out there......sometimes the term should be "get raped by your local dive shop"....I would bet US shops with more competitive prices would charge $140-150 for this unit.

I agree with you. The shops up here and most that I've been to in Michigan refuse to get in the game, and as a result have lost hundreds in profit from me alone. Oh, I occasionally go in and buy little things, but mostly just fills. The inability to adapt and change to the times may kill them. I just won't pay high retail for merchandise they simply have to order over the phone. I'd better quit as this can burn me as much as training agencies.

Anyway, that price should still be good even with shipping from the UK.

Mike

I did a search on eBay for APEKS and came up with someone selling the TX40 with the first stage. I sent them a question asking if they had (or know of) the TX40 as an Octo.

They responded that they were selling it for $99.95 plus shipping ($7.00 I think) with standard length hose.

I think this person is associated with LeisurePro since that was part of the domain in their email address, even though they use a Yahoo e-mail for eBay.

Here is the e-mail I got back in answer to my question:

You mean the TX40 octo ? that's $99.95

At 03:11 PM 6/12/01, you wrote:

I am looking for a TX40 second stage to set up as my octo. Do you offer this? If so, how much "off eBay"?
--Michael
To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1154819775

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mayer Rothstein
Tel (212)741-0401 ext. 303
Fax (212)691-7286 Att. Mayer
Scuba_equipments@yahoo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And this person said I could call them (is Mayer a he or she? don't know) directly to place the order. And when I had my LDS price it out, they wanted $160 for the same thing.

TexasMike....The TX40 Octo is a special reg that Apeks makes for this purpose. The only difference from it and a standard TX40 is the color. The octo is yellow, the standard is black with several color options for the inside diapharm cover. So you if you want a black one, you need a standard TX40.

BTW, as far as I know, the TX40 is a balanced 2nd stage and identical to the TX50 except for the adjustment. The Apeks T20 on the other hand is not balanced. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I sorta told you wrong about the T20 being unbalanced. As best I can tell, the TX50, TX40, & T20 are all balanced regs. Here is what Apeks's website says about the TX40:

The TX40 shares the same high performance, pneumatically balanced 2nd stage with the T20 but with the added feature of a heat exchanger system that virtually eliminates the possibility of 2nd stage freezing.

It also utilises the same dry environmentally sealed 1st stage as the TX50. All the 'T' range of regulators feature the Integrated Venturi System (IVS) that enables you to control the air flow within the 2nd stage at the turn of a lever.

So going by that, they're all balanced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom